The Lurking Fear

by Atari STAFF
August 17th, 2017 | 14 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A muddy and threatening death metal throwback

The fascinating thing about The Lurking Fear’s Out of the Voiceless Grave lies in its ability to deliver musically on the outrageous song titles. When you have track names like “The Cold Jaws of Death” or Tentacles of Blackened Horror” you sure as hell better deliver the goods – and the death metal supergroup do just that. From the moment Out of the Voiceless Grave opens with a gloomy creak, the album expertly mimics the themes at hand. The chaotic “Vortex Spawn” is a noisy, angry whirlwind of death metal – just the first of many tracks to knock you flat on your ass. With members of At the Gates, God Macabre and more, it’s not surprising the album is a ruthless concoction of Swedish death metal.

One can’t deny The Lurking Fear are masters of their craft, but that doesn’t stop Out of the Voiceless Grave from being a bit repetitious at times. They do a good job beating the hell out of their instruments, but it’s the rare moments they tap on the brakes that carry the most intrigue. “Upon Black Winds” unexpectedly closes with a brief, but eerily effective piano melody, while “The Infernal Dread” makes a haunting impression with church bells amidst an ancient graveyard. These moments are few and far between the relentless execution, but they do a nice job breaking up the monotony and giving the album a stronger creative edge. The problem is, there's no arguing the experience could still be better with a few more of these alterations. Nevertheless, while it’s certainly been done before, Out of the Voiceless Grave is a cool death metal throwback with just enough minor tweaks to keep it from feeling stale. You can expect huge, filthy riffs and gnarly growls backed by a murky atmosphere, just don’t expect anything terribly original or groundbreaking. Sometimes, though, riffs are enough – like when you’re a death metal supergroup in 2017 and your primary goal is to deliver a crushing, ‘90s-esque death metal album. I’d say The Lurking Fear did exactly what they set out to do. With songs like “Tentacles of Blackened Horror” and “Winged Death” swooping in with a demonic force, they can be forgiven for their lack of originality….and their knowledge of riffs.

Phoebe Bridgers Stranger in the AlpsSannhet So Numb
Neun Welten The Sea I'm Diving InFalls of Rauros Vigilance Perennial
Del Paxton All Day, Every Day, All NightSuper Whatevr Good Luck
3.1
good

August 17th 2017

album's pretty cool, feedback welcome!

the infernal dread (not seeing an album stream :/)

Digging: Susanne Sundfor - Music For People In Trouble

DungeonBoy
August 17th 2017

Nice review Atari! I heard a clip of this these guys the other day and have been meaning to check since. Cool to hear Lindburg and Erlandsson rocking some melodic death metal with some fresh (non-ATG) members.

Digging: Kauan - Kaiho

EvoHavok
August 17th 2017

Very entertaining album that definitely nails that sound.

Digging: Ningen-Isu - Ijigen Kara no Hoko

BlackwaterPork
August 17th 2017

I love me some Swedish death metal.

Digging: Bell Witch - Mirror Reaper

Dewinged
August 18th 2017

"Tentacles" is the best track in there. It gets repetitive at times but it's a good album. Nice review Atari.

Edit: 5000 comments, goddammit

Digging: Spotlights - Seismic

Bloon
August 18th 2017

I cringed throughout this record, but this review is pretty cool.

Digging: Dead Kennedys - Frankenchrist

Ebola
August 19th 2017

Record is really solid

ZippaThaRippa
August 19th 2017

Cool as shit cover, music is pretty standard

Astral Abortis
August 20th 2017

I forgot about this. I remember when they announced the project I was pretty interested but listening now it's a bit disappointing.

Kusangii
August 20th 2017

The single I heard from this was absolutely dreadful. Hope the rest is better otherwise I'm in for a huge disappointment

Inveigh
August 20th 2017

I've been meaning to check this out. Good review

August 20th 2017

hopefully you dig it more than some others have haha, cheers

McNamara
August 20th 2017

Been trying to get into this, but just seems pretty uneventful for the most part.

Hawks