Cormorant

4.2

by Xenophanes STAFF
August 14th, 2017 | 58 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Cormorant are the easiest black metal band to love.

Cormorant are a band that is easy to gush about. Since their inception, they have been completely DIY, and that won't sound like something worth mentioning until you have actually heard an album like Diaspora. Whatever vodoo they are doing as an "independent" band seems to be working, because their latest album is a perfect sounding record; the sort of album begat by the sort of band whose effortless and natural penchant at simply being a band makes you fall in love.

As a band, Cormorant sound refined beyond all expectations. As an album, Diaspora is an unapologetic metal epic. Nothing here sounds second rate, bargain bin progressive black metal. The four winding tracks range from seven to nearly 30 minutes in length, never dipping in quality or wandering into pretentiousness. It's the type of "progressive" album that doesn't feel like its trying to be. Despite the profound runtime, "Migration" isn't bloated nor does it aim to high and fumble into ridiculousness. Yes it feels like a melting pot of all expected tropes--folk, death, black, and doom metal. Fortunately it avoids some of the more *eye-roll* inducing grandeur of their peers, matching lofty ideas with restraint and thoughtful writing.

Each song, while much more neutered, matches the tone and quality found in "Migration," which in turn makes for the most impressive statement the band has made to date. Because of this smartly used variety, Diaspora is the rare kind of metal album that can bridge the gap between the progressive "dorks" and the cynical elite; a record of staggering depth and broad appeal.

Cannabis Corpse Left Hand PassAfterbirth The Time Traveler's Dilemma
The Blight Meditations on InsignificanceFull of Hell Trumpeting Ecstasy
Phrenelith Desolate EndscapeKrallice Prelapsarian

August 14th 2017

Normally don't enjoy huge black metal statements but this is just wonderful. So well done and ridiculously absorbing.

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Deus Salutis Meae

Archelirion
August 14th 2017

Heard this yesterday, and boy have they outdone themselves on this one. I'm very fond of Dwellings, but this almost certainly tops it.

Migration is unreal

EvoHavok
August 14th 2017

This has been on my radar. Dwellings rules indeed.

Digging: Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun

sincerelyaural
August 14th 2017

just recently got into this band, can confirm that this is good

August 14th 2017

Kept the review short as not not ramble on and on. I like it in the same way I liked Slow Forever last year.

Archelirion
August 14th 2017

Honestly, this'd be easy to ramble on so I'm glad you kept it mercifully short

RustCohle
August 14th 2017

This is simply amazing, they even topped their previous outings!

Digging: Me And That Man - Songs of Love and Death

Piripichotes
August 14th 2017

I've been listening to dwellings a lot lately, how is this compared to that? I've always thought that the black metal "lo-fi" mix kinda detracted from their music...

Digging: Rainbow - Rising

DungeonBoy
August 14th 2017

Cool review man. I enjoy this band, Dwellings more than Metazoa, and your review definitely makes me want to check out this new one.

Digging: Kauan - Kaiho

necropig

ooooooo nice

Digging: maudlin of the Well - Leaving Your Body Map

August 14th 2017

@Pirip: aesthetically this is pretty different from Dwellings, which I may like better...but probably not? Not sure yet. There is no lo-fi in this at all.

Eons
August 14th 2017

Pretty cool album cover. Gonna listen.

Asmodeuss1990

"vodoo"?

Pretty sure you mean't voodoo, fam.

kingdedethefifth
August 14th 2017

Awesome review Xeno, not often do I see staff reviews kept so concise. I've been really wanting to check this band lately, maybe I will.

Evokaphile

MUST CHECK THIS

Digging: Gang of Youths - Go Farther in Lightness

Dewinged
August 14th 2017

I am not a big fan of BM but this is pretty awesome.

Digging: Toothless - The Pace of the Passing

Hawks
August 14th 2017

Last album slays, gotta jam this asap.

Digging: Cradle of Filth - Cryptoriana ? The Seductiveness of Decay

Hawks

Ok yeah this rips.

Maco097
August 15th 2017

I have to listen to this soon. I've been waiting for it.

ScuroFantasma
August 15th 2017

Album cover is all kinds of cool

Digging: Die Verbannten Kinder Evas - Die Verbannten Kinder Evas