Kalamata
Disruption

by New Tool Album Soon... USER (3 Reviews)
August 12th, 2017 | 14 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A journey through the wormhole of ecstacy.

Kalamata are classified as a stoner, psychedelic, post rock band consisting of a bluesy atmospheric noise gate whose sound is not far from common, yet hits every mark pertaining to originality and what could only be described as the foundation of human existence as we know it. Launching a subtle, voiceless parable one could only conjure up on the highest climax of an ayahuasca vision, Disruption manages to carry the listener on its back with plenty of room for a googolplex(²) more. Kalamata submerge anyone and anything under the sonic aftermath of a once beautiful being, multiplying each riff and melody to aggregate as an act of the divine bringing that being to the fullest of life.

Albeit, this album is entirely instrumental, it still has some substance of voice without voice, if that makes sense. The seamless segues and vibe spikes are effortless here. One thing that really makes Disruption shine are basic riffs molded and transformed into a cascade of harmony and penetration. First listen imprints memories that should not exist until growth, a personal experience that affects each of us differently. Disruption takes that aspect and turns it into a collective thought, at the same time flinging us all into our own orbit.

Disruption is a step up for Kalamata being their second album, delving more into the unknown, as opposed to their first album You. I have noticed a giant leap here for the band and a remarkable road to pave for others alike. I really enjoy the transitions throughout this album as well as the vibrant array of structure the band manages to induce with its sound. Is there a message here? Of course, the track titles tell a story by themselves. They tell a story that anyone can identify with, that we can all relate to, to each have their own experience along the backbone of this recording and release an effect that strikes each of us differently. Hypnotizing bass combined with the fuzziness of strings bring an element that creates a unique sound which can be used as a screen for us to project our own visions on to infinite and beyond.

Clocking in at almost 43 minutes, it feels like it could have been longer. Albeit, it does seem a lot longer than what it is, in a positive way. Repetition of certain riffs are not overextended or become exasperated filler in any way, shape or form. A perplexed, chaotic, soothing calm. A colorful trip, a climactic trip. A ripple of everlasting thrill. Listen with caution.

In Closing: If you are ever looking for something to listen to, out driving in the middle of nowhere or lying on your bed, check out Disruption and see what direction it takes you. Or see what erection it gives you. Either way, it will lead you to somewhere special.

dbizzles
August 12th 2017

Very nice. You have piqued multiple things of mine with your words.

Digging: Oranssi Pazuzu - Farmokologinen

Digging: Ulcerate - Everything Is Fire

Archelirion
August 12th 2017

I'd avoid things like 'my only problem with this album is its length', but your choppy writing style is actually pretty interesting to read :] Have a pos, sounds interesting

August 12th 2017

thank you very much! and fixed, i didn't like that either tbh

FullOfSounds
August 12th 2017

Very cohesive and descriptive review. Pos fo sho

sincerelyaural

Rather interesting descriptions, pos'd

Thanks (:

butcherboy
August 12th 2017

hahaha, pos for closing arguments alone..

Digging: Erase Errata - Other Animals

Sunnyvale
August 12th 2017

Haha, those song titles. But good review, definitely got me interested. The first track is sweet so far.

Sunnyvale
August 12th 2017

This is tight. A great mix of stoner type grooves and post-rock vibes.

FullOfSounds

Dis a jam

That's awesome man

ksoflas
August 13th 2017

Kudos for reviewing this man.
Excellent writing, pos'd.