Tchornobog
Tchornobog

by Ain Soph Aur CONTRIBUTOR (36 Reviews)
July 27th, 2017 | 250 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Tchornobog is the ultimate soundtrack to contemplative and individualised thought and self-experience.

At first glance, the one-man project of Markov Soroka’s seems intimidating. Tchornobog. With its four larger than life tracks, the massive and surreal artwork of Adam Burke adorning its cover. Inside, the music is highly potent and impenetrable, spanning styles of black metal, death metal and funeral doom, with guest features from genre heavyweights like Svartidauði’s Magnús Skúlason on drums and Esoteric’s Greg Chandler providing additional vocals. But upon listening, there’s an immediate sensibility to the music that feels warm. Welcoming, even. In this writhing, cyclopic mass there’s a tunnel-vision goal that drives the music along familiar railing, guiding the listener through movements that are instantly gratifying despite the initial image of their scope.

There’s an archaic density in the way that Tchornobog presents itself. The sound is heavy and thick with layered textures, instrumentals and ambiance, but the way the production is mixed and mastered through these entangled components leaves it sounding fogged over, soft on the ears despite its indelible weight. This contrast of forms leaves a feeling of atmospheric meditation, allowing each composition to breathe, seemingly unchanging, for up to twenty minutes. And with each track fluctuating between ten and twenty minutes, it’s incredible in that way that not one of them builds or evolves or contrives climax. Each one of the four tracks on Tchornobog wraps and wraps around itself with similar compositional mass, often moving through several moments of change before reverting back to a former passage, all with the same psychedelic grip. On a careful listen, it is easy to pick up the way in which a song will make these changes, but it is best experienced passively, where every riff and howl and drum groove will give life to one another in one detailed and fascinating instance.

In all of its psychedelic and anti-entropic leanings, Tchornobog creates a vortex of contrasting facets for the music to take form. On the one hand, its almost straight-forward approach to long-form composition is easy to engage with, but its hazy atmosphere and intangible layering leaves it fresh and inviting for multiple listens, constant replayability and intense introspection. In many ways, Tchornobog is detached from the listener, its own entity, only worried about its own convolving processes. But it’s in that detachment that it allows the listener to find their own repeating rhythms and passages to dwell on and devour over its runtime. Tchornobog is the ultimate soundtrack to contemplative and individualised thought and self-experience.

Antichrist Sinful BirthTaphos Nomos / Urdun RIP
Julia Holter In the Same RoomMount Eerie A Crow Looked At Me
Death Scream Bloody GoreGorephilia Severed Monolith
Tyler M (4.5)
explode, reverse and violate...

Listen/buy: https://i-voidhangerrecords.bandcamp.com/album/tchornobog

cryptologous
July 27th 2017

killer art, will check this out

Egarran

Sounds great.
What are anti-entropic leanings?

Digging: Myrkur - Mareridt

1985 Comments

"the one-man project of Markov Soroka’s seems intimidating. Tchornobog."

"With its four larger than life tracks, the massive and surreal artwork of Adam Burke adorning its cover."

This is not a complete sentence.

First two sentences of the second paragraph feel kinda redundant given that you pretty much just rephrase what you say in the first one.

"And with" !!

it’s incredible in that way that not one of them

You could drop "in that way" for the sake of brevity

"seemingly unchanging ... not one of them builds or evolves ... moving through several moments of change ... easy to pick up the way in which a song will make these changes ... highly potent and impenetrable"

These phrases contradict each other in multiple ways

killer art [2] tho

Ovrot
July 27th 2017

technoborg is a sweet name m/

Digging: Seikima-II - From Hell with Love

Tyler.
July 27th 2017

is this review written in english

July 27th 2017

""Markov Soroka's one man project, Tchornobog, seems intimidating" reads much better"

Disagreed. Completely different tone and inflection to what I intended.

"This is not a complete sentence."

I have deliberately staggered the language. It reads weirdly but it works in my intended way.

"These phrases contradict each other in multiple ways"

Sort've but not really. "Seemingly unchanging" doesn't mean unchanging. It's a surface level assumption. And there's a vast difference between evolving or building and changing. You can change but not evolve.

"Your prose is odd. Phrases like "the initial image of their scope" feel really unnatural, and you seem to writing a lot without saying much. I get that is this sounds dense, introspective etc. but you don't make note of even a single musical technique. I still have very little idea of what to expect besides twenty minute run times and a certain kind of ~ aesthetic ~"

I feel that. Even though I disagree with your nitpicks, I understand this isn't my best review and a lot of this review says little. I've been in a review rut for a couple of months and wanted to just put something out. That said, I don't strictly believe in needing to define what the music sounds like in a review. I prefer to explore the concept of explaining how it makes me feel. And my prose may be flowery and backwards and break grammatical and structural rules but I think English is funner when you fuck with how it works. It's such a contradictory language by nature, so many rules seem completely arbitrary in most cases, so I treat them arbitrarily.

"What are anti-entropic leanings?"

Basically a convoluted way of saying something isn't convoluted.

LandDiving
July 27th 2017

yeah this is a bit circumlocutory i think, but you're clearly a good writer, hope to see you posting more soon :~)

1985 Comments

They're not nitpicks, "deliberately staggering" language by not even completing your sentences is bad writing. Also, true, you can change but not evolve, but you can't evolve and not change, and you imply in multiple ways elsewhere that the compositions evolve. You also say the album is "impenetrable" but easy to follow.

"I don't strictly believe in needing to define what the music sounds like in a review"

You can definitely over describe music, I used to do it all the time, but the fact is you don't even begin to describe what goes on here besides the fact that this album ~twists~ and ~turns~ and is dense. Like, if you were to pick even one riff on here, could you describe it to me? What do the musicians actually do?

"And my prose may be flowery and backwards and break grammatical and structural rules but I think English is funner when you fuck with how it works. It's such a contradictory language by nature, so many rules seem completely arbitrary in most cases, so I treat them arbitrarily."

jfc

July 27th 2017

It's alright that you don't like it man, we clearly like different things about writing and reviews in general. If you think I'm a bad writer then that's your right. Many others probably agree with you. It's not like these reviews matter. I just like gushing about good music.

tempest--

20468 Comments

jac you dont want another tremolo picked pinch harmonics situation tho

1985 Comments

You've written good reviews before, but this isn't one of them. There are things that come to preference but that can't explain away some of what you've written here.

Ahh true Lloyd. Nvm.

Lol

July 27th 2017

They're not nitpicks, "deliberately staggering" language by not even completing your sentences is bad writing. [2]

you can keep waxing and equivocating about style, or whatever the excuse is this week, but it's legitimately just difficult trying to read a lot of sentences here. it's not so much nitpicking as it is directing towards major and consistent faults with syntactical structure on your behalf.

Digging: Zola Jesus - Okovi

They're not really faults if they're deliberate

July 27th 2017

Also I don't make excuses for my writing. I've acknowledged many times that I know most people won't like the way i write sometimes. I do this just for fun.

They're not really faults if they're deliberate

the english language and standards of readability do not bend towards your own personal rules. they're faults because i read, and when i read, words make sense. i read your review, and the words didn't make sense. i similarly wouldn't be able to cook my family dinner, serve them a tumbleweed of my own pubic hair, and then tell them that it really is edible because i meant to serve them the hairs i've plucked from my nether region. your intentions are not an excuse for broken english.

yah except this is an excuse. people are trying to tell you that you've written a poor piece of prose, and your excuse is you don't care / english isn't real / 'i like to have fun with words,' or whatever.

you can do this 'just for fun,' but you're posting music criticism on a public forum, where standards of publishing exist, not least of all because you're a promoted reviewer. feel free to indulge your inner Burroughs, but do try and understand that, when you repeatedly upload incoherent and self-serving pieces of writing that service some strange sense of contrarian elitism over the use of the english language, the criticism that arises *might* be legitimate and worth considering.

July 27th 2017

But it's not. Nothing you or Jac has criticised has been worth considering, because I disagree with them.

There are no definites with language. Language is malleable and alive. It changes with how we use it. When some of the most respected writers in the world refuse to stick to the rules, why should I? Because I'm not as good as them? I mean, it's true, I'll never be a world-recognised writer. But that doesn't mean I should act like this is an essay for english class. This is a public forum, and the contributor title means nothing. I don't have any standard to uphold for anyone.

My reviews reflect what, to me, the albums feel like. And if my reviews make no sense, that's a result of that. All my reviews are distinctly different, in my opinions, and the tones you gather from them is all your own bias and deflection. If you want to see elitism or contrarianism in how I write, then you're free to do so. I care little for you, I don't expect you to care at all for me either. My writing is what it is. Deal with it.

July 27th 2017

yeah, well that's all well and good for a poet. if you fancy your writing 'poetic,' then more power to you. but yes, in response to your rhetorical question, you're not very good at it. it just reads like you don't care to string together a coherent sentence half of the time.

July 27th 2017

and yes, it is true, i am strongly biased towards coherency and sense-making.