Execration (NOR)
Return to the Void

by Zachary J. Dixon USER (78 Reviews)
July 19th, 2017 | 39 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Like a 12-eyed 7-legged 18-horned massive alien beast from millions of light years away.

Return to the Void is very close to what is present off of the album cover. It is an album that goes full-throttle into a death metal/thrash metal crossover tinged with this looming sense of obscurity, like you are traveling through the vast entirety of space. Everything off this album intertwines in a way such as to feed into this feeling, all the while retaining its blunt force. This isn’t to say that there are not hiccups or flaws through this album that hinder this sometimes, however the moments where this record remains dark and crushing are certainly much greater.

The greatest feat that really adds to this album's atmosphere is the guitar work. There are plenty of crunchy riffs as well as moments of respite, where the guitar really gives way to some very ominous passages. “Nekrocosm” is a fantastic example of this. After some very death’n’roll like riffs, it drops to an eerily silence, barely permeating it like a pair of blood red eyes peering through a dreary nights mist. These are some of the strongest moments off of Return to the Void as it shows Execrations ability to play with dynamics while still retaining a fairly savage sound. Unfortunately for Execration, the drums, while certainly proficient and creative, are rather tinny and sterile sounding. They are also mixed oddly high and overproduced, which is unfortunate because the barrage of blast beats can often bury the quality riffs underneath. This is thankfully the only truly major flaw of the album, but it’s enough that manages to cause the album to stray from its path just a bit. In all fairness, even the drums have fantastic moments, especially the tribal and chaotic drumming in the middle of “Cephalic Transmissions”, so even this flaw is forgivable.

The only thing left to talk about is the vocals, which are pretty much standard fare. They’re powerful, sometimes they growl, sometimes they shout. For the most part, they don’t really rise above being average to semi-good. However, there are certainly moments where they absolutely ugly and compliment the harrowing sound of the music very well (e.g, “Unicursal Horrorscope”). Parts like these really represent the best in the album-grim, spacious, absolutely insane. There are points where it sounds somewhat ridiculous, such as the rather shoe-horned falsetto present off of “Eternal Recurrence”, yet there are also parts that accomplish the standards that such an artwork sets (again, “Universal Horrorscope”). Sometimes the album really does sound like an uncontrollable beast bursting forth from its containment, sometimes it truly just sounds ***ed up and alien.

Ellende TodbringerDeath in June But, What Ends When the Symbols Shatter?
Comeback Kid Turn It AroundDalek Endangered Philosophies
Eluveitie Evocation II: PantheonDays N Daze Rogue Taxidermy

July 19th 2017

Criticism, as usual, is welcome/

Ovrot

review more ghost kommando

Digging: Seikima-II - From Hell with Love

Nice artwork

Digging: Venenum - Trance of Death

July 19th 2017

rot did you even read any of this lol

DungeonBoy
July 19th 2017

Good review, how do you think this compares to Morbid Dimensions?

Just listened to the track, Eternal Recurrence. Great song, the drumming is really awesome. Will check the rest at some point.

Digging: Kauan - Kaiho

July 19th 2017

Haven't heard Morbid Dimensions or anything else by them for that matter

CaliggyJack
July 19th 2017

I'm definitely spinning this later. These guys are amazing.

Inveigh
July 19th 2017

I got this on CD and the drums sound great to me - possible bad rip? either way good review and this record straight up RIPS

their best songwriting with their best production and atmosphere imo. vocals have a more varied attack than past records too. right now it's jockeying with Atonement for best dm release of 2017.

ShadowRemains

need

July 19th 2017

Nah it was straight from their bandcamp. The cymbals were kind of tinny and the drumming sounded a little overproduced as a whole. The actual drum patterns were fucking sick though and the whole album was great though so m/

necropig
July 19th 2017

Enjoyed previous, will give a listen

Digging: T2 - It'll All Work Out in Boomland

DungeonBoy
July 19th 2017

"Nah it was straight from their bandcamp." Purchased and downloaded in FLAC right? Cause that 128 kbps stream is unfortunate.

MistaCrave
July 19th 2017

I'm enjoying this so far but it's nothing that seems like it has any real long-term appeal. Cephalic Transmissions rules though

Moge

This rules hard.

Liking it way more than previous album, tho I barely even remember that one.

ScuroFantasma

Good rev man

Digging: Rabor - ?????????

Astral Abortis
July 20th 2017

Oh man how have I missed out on this? Didn't even hear about it coming out. Gonna fucin check!

July 20th 2017

Yeah man, it's pretty good. I think you'll enjoy it.

emester
July 20th 2017

Solid write up, there's definitely some things I have in my draft that you neglected to go over here, but otherwise you did great job describing the record as its own entity.

Also I gotta back Inveigh on the percussion mixing, as I find it not only well done but also a much needed change of tone for basically every other Norwegian DM band trying to be Obliteration

Digging: Spectral Voice - Eroded Corridors of Unbeing

July 20th 2017

I didn't think there was anything forgot but yeah maybe I missed some shit here. Also perhaps the drumming was just an issue on the bandcamp stream, idk.

superluminals

i might check this

wanted to check morbid dimensions for a couple years now