Lorn
Vessel

1.5
very poor

by ramon CONTRIBUTOR (30 Reviews)
July 15th, 2017 | 10 replies

Release Date: 12/30/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An EP-length LP with enough content to satiate a single song.

It is entirely possible I'm just not reading the room properly but Lorn's latest attempt at creating somewhat current vibes is harshly diminished by a severe lack of content. Vessel just doesn't do enough to justify its relatively short runtime. 30 minutes should never feel like 45 but an absence of experimentation within Lorn's minimalist sonic signature makes for a final product that is wholly unenthusiastic. This is more of the same sparse electronica we have come to expect of Lorn, but there is only so far one can go with a spark before the flames die down. Intentions may be clear, but a general air of indecisiveness results in an EP-length LP with enough content to satiate a single song.

Lorn's attention to detail is appropriately focused on Vessel; production throughout remains clean while suiting the numerous soundscapes Lorn explores. Some interesting sounds are used to evoke atmosphere on some of the longer cuts such as a ragged, tribal groan that permeates the low end of "Anvil". However, there is nothing of great substance to be found anywhere on this record. Part of me wonders if Lorn was lost in the mastering stage before any of these songs were fully realised because roughly half of the album consists of bars being repeated with little to no change to distinguish song progression. Pair this with three interlude tracks, an opening song that doesn't kick into gear until its halfway point, and a finale that serves as both the longest and the most uninteresting song in the listing, it becomes apparent that Vessel is over a third empty. The confidence Lorn has in his dark and slick production could be admirable if he had interesting songs to back him up. Instead, Vessel stands as nothing more than a bored and uninspired tech demo.

To add insult to injury, Lorn has good ideas. "Conduit" is a pristine pairing of craggy bass and ethereal vocals that was quite an infectious venture. The punchy, bouncing kit and droning bass fuzz of "Dipped Into Poison" was similarly tickling on first listens. Was is the keyword here however because the only progression to be found within either song is found in the form of minute variations of each song's opening two bars. From a technical perspective, Lorn has everything necessary to write a compelling release. As an adept at catching grooves and addictive melody, there is enough production prowess in that noggin of his to present something with strong mass appeal. In the same breath, Lorn has proven he can create interesting atmosphere and his aforementioned attention to detail would suit a slightly more conceptual and immersing release if he felt so inclined.

There were multiple points during my initial listen to Vessel where I anticipated songs to shift and was instead greeted with another few bars of the same sounds I'd been listening to for minutes prior. The general catchiness of the grooves and melodies gave me a case of cruel, false hope. Tedium can be a suitable backdrop for artists with specific thematic intention but Lorn's directness in terms of production and melody puts him on the fence. The accessibility he strives for in Vessel remains buried beneath layers of monotony, and I can only hope he is able to decide clearly whether he will pursue temperate droning over tribal bangers or not in future endeavours.

Perturbator New ModelCorey Feldman Angelic 2 The Core
lari i am dead.Darren Korb Pyre Original Soundtrack
Polyphia The Most HatedAzarath In Extremis

July 15th 2017

First review in a long time. Here's to consistency.

sincerelyaural
July 15th 2017

Such a clean, mature review

July 15th 2017

Thanks Claire! Much appreciated!

Jacquibim

1982 Comments

Fuck the Senate

Truth

Relinquished
July 16th 2017

rating seems harsh but I felt nothing from this and his recent record so feels apt. good review, though short tracks aren't necessarily interludes.

July 16th 2017

Thought it might be at first, was torn between this and a 2 but yea, it is honestly so lacking that I felt like time had been wasted here. Thanks man.

Evokaphile
July 17th 2017

Was just jamming this on the weekend with some homies. Lorn did some god awful things to my subwoofer so I gotta give they guy credit for that at least.

Digging: Ufomammut - 8

Conmaniac
July 17th 2017

this dude is from Milwaukee? cool..

deezer666