Coldplay

good

by Raz USER (28 Reviews)
July 15th, 2017 | 49 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A nice, if arguably pointless effort from a constantly changing band

As an unexpected release from a band that previously announced their intent to halt production on new records, the Kaleidoscope EP sees Coldplay shedding their overproduced pop sound for something on the organic side. Sure, their organic proxy is still as unashamedly colorful and over the top as anything off Mylo Xyloto and A Head Full of Dreams, though unlike the aforementioned there is a stronger sense of restraint and even subtlety resting on this project. The closest comparison that can be made is with one of Coldplay’s earliest releases, The Blue Room, which too saw smoother, more expansive work from the band before their full embracement with simpler pop structures (and a dash of Radiohead worship in Parachute’s case) and eventually massive, over the top theatrics.

The bookends of Kaleidoscope, along with the Brian Eno produced “A L I E N S” which rests snugly dead and center, soar with spacey compositions that invoke grand imagery of otherworldly locations and find Coldplay utilizing their full band set-up to its best effect. Complementing pretty pianos, deep basslines bounce off jazzy drum fills and luscious guitar leads on the progressively building “All I Can Think About Is You”, which pushes cryptic lyrics of a world spinning out of control - an interesting contrast to the otherwise soft and dreamy instrumental backing. “Hypnotised” too, another well executed slow burner, builds with childish and innocuous glass keys and a twangy guitar that reflect the track’s more optimistic theme of renewal. While these two tracks, along with “A L I E N S” and its skitty percussive setup and atmospheric, subtle guitar work, show great promise when stacked against the band’s otherwise dismal output as of late, Coldplay unfortunately miss the mark.

The EP is tainted by two stinkers, including a completely useless and dishonestly titled live recording of The Chainsmoker’s “Something Just Like This” with audio quality that shouldn't belong on any professional release. The other is a weak electropop snoozer with a bland Big Sean feature that feels as out of place as the cheesy disco-lite guitar loop that leads the track. On top of that, while “All I Can Think About” and “Hypnotised” function together with a pessimistic/optimistic dynamic, there is barely a string to tie the rest of the EP together as a fully realized package - an aspect that even the worst of Coldplay’s catalogue managed. Without a unifying thematic, it feels less like a new progression for the band and more like a treat “for the fans” to digest until their next release - full length or not. Thankfully, despite the EP’s lack of togetherness and the duds that plague it, the best on Kaleidoscope shine definitive highlights in Coldplay’s discography and are worth a full spin, even if their existence when considering the context of the EP is questionable.

Rozwell Kid Precious ArtIT IT Formal Odors
Zack Villere Little WorldBruno Mars 24K Magic
Sum 41 13 VoicesClarence Clarity No Now
2.9
good
neekafat (4)
Is love is the only thing left that's true?...

Best: All I Can Think About Is You, A L I E N S, Hypnotised

Worst: Miracles (Someone Special), Something Just Like This - Tokyo Remix

Stream: http://open.spotify.com/album/0CE9VXSH70pz4BQzMPm9gO

people still care about coldplay right? massive thanks to blush for helping proofread. and slight thanks to sounds for saying "looks good".

EvoHavok
July 15th 2017

Neat read. Agreed with your points, but at least that live version is slightly better than the one on the featured duo's album.

Digging: Sukekiyo - ADORATIO

Prancer
July 15th 2017

was never a Coldplay fan, but this EP earns a 3/5 with that first track. great stuff.

StickFeit
July 15th 2017

I really dig this, first time I dig Coldplay.

esambuu
July 15th 2017

This is worth EP. Best track from this EP is "All I Can Think About is You".

Bloon
July 15th 2017

Really cool review. Can't say I've ever really been interested in Coldplay, but an ill-fitting Big Sean feature sounds pretty funny.

Digging: Tyler, the Creator - Scum Fuck Flower Boy

butcherboy
July 15th 2017

really great review.. don't know if i'll try this..

TalonsOfFire
July 15th 2017

Great review and agreed that the odd numbered tracks are excellent. The opener is my favorite, reminds me a lot of modern Radiohead.

Digging: Steven Wilson - To the Bone

theBoneyKing
July 15th 2017

Only tracks 1 and 5 were good to my ears.

Digging: Radiohead - OKNOTOK 1997-2017

BlushfulHippocrene
July 15th 2017

Congrats on the feature, and fantastic review, mate. Heard a little bit of this and it sounded decent.

Digging: Wicca Phase Springs Eternal - Raw and Declawed

Thanks for the feature!

@evo - only thing I really noticed was the guitar solo in the song's final drop had a bit more meat to it. though as far as im aware, everything else was more or less the same.

@bloon - its less funny and more boring. like big sean in general.

@talons - its funny, because the first track reminds me a lot of High Speed on The Blue Room and that song reminds me a lot of Subterranean Homesick Alien on OK Computer.

@Boney - Wasn't too big on ALIENS? I like it, its on the simpler side but to me it works.

neekafat
July 15th 2017

Goddammit I was just about to write one of these

Congrats on the feature, great review too pos'd

SnakeDelilah

19378 Comments

remember when this band said that they weren't gonna make anymore music those were some good times

neekafat
July 15th 2017

By "questionably pointless" do you mean that its questionable and pointless or that it's questionable if it's pointless

someguest

boo for Brian Eno working with these shitstains

July 15th 2017

@neek - questionable if it should exist or not

@someguest - eno has been working with these dudes since viva la vida (which he produced)

someguest

It's a shame.

conditionals
July 15th 2017

Nice review. Pretty pumped for this, haven't listened yet.

Hope they head in a more experimental direction for the next phase - working with Eno again is a good sign. The current pop bent has been the most hit-or-miss era ever from an incredibly talented band. The accompanying live show was really good though

Digging: Kirin J. Callinan - Bravado

AngryLittleAlchemist
July 15th 2017

oh fuck this band made something good?

theBoneyKing