Pantera
Cowboys from Hell

by madanthony USER (4 Reviews)
June 6th, 2006 | 25 replies | 4,909 views

Release Date: 1990 | Tracklist

In the eighties, Pantera was a hair metal band. The horrific genre where yor hair had to be big, your guitar had to be loud, and your power ballad had to be sappy. They had released four of these albums, but by the fourth album, it was becoming increasingly obvious. Change was inevitable. So they ditched all that hair metal *** (which was good since hair metal would be officially dead a year later) and created a more normal image. Plus, they changed the way their music was played. It became much heavier, much louder, and more evil than ever before. And thats exactly what you get on Cowboys From Hell

Vinnie Paul Abott, the band's drummer really is the driving force on this album. His lightning quick hands and thunderous double bass greatly supports his brother Dimebag's furious guitar work and catchy rythms. Just listen to Primal Concrete Sledge, Psycho Holiday, Dominatio, or the Art of Shredding to see what I mean.

One thing that I truly do enjoy is how insanely catchy the rythms are. Songs like Psycho Holiday, Message in Blood, Cowboys From Hell and Primal Concrete sledge automatically suck you in with their insane rythms that will automatically make you want to get out your guitar, bass or drums, and immediately try to figure out the song.

However, Pantera is not for everyone. Phil Anselmo's voice will either make you want to start growling along with him, or vomit with rage. He just growls and screams throughout the whole album. and occasionally go into this high pitched falstetto that will definitely annoy some listeners. Personally,I think his voice is ***ing awesome. It really gives off the rage and raw emotions within the band saying such unforgettable lines as, "SO THEY CAN LICK MY SACK!" "AIMED AT YOU WE"RE THE COWBOYS FROM HELL!" "COME AND BE WITH ME! LIVE MY TWISTED DREAM!". I think his falsetto is really unique. Specifically on Shattered, Medicine Man, cemetary gates, and Heresy.

Dimebag's guitar work is incredible on this album. His guitar sounds like a grinding chainsaw ready to kill any bastard that gets in his way. i love how he makes his guitar screech and howl making insane riffs such as cowboys from hell, Psycho holiday, and cemetary gates even better. Dimebag also does great acoustic work on Cemetary gates and The sleep. They're just so evil and and so dark.

All of the songs are great on the album. But Cemetary Gates is by far the best. It starts out with acoustic arpeggios by dimegbag, and then all of a sudden it goes into this heavy, dark, crazy riff and then it gets even faster and then goes back to acoustic. And the end, Phil screams gates in his falsetto and dime "answers" him making his guitar do the same. Amazing song. If you don't like this song, you don't like Pantera.

Pros.
Awesome riffs
Catchy rythms
Great solos

Cons
Phil's voice may give some people ear herpes
May be too heavy for some listeners
Clash with reality is sub-par at best

south_of_heaven 11
June 6th 2006

Hey man, good job on the review. As Spat said, pretty easy to follow as well.
I love this album too.

GenuineImitation
June 6th 2006

Nice job with the review.

The cd is pretty good, but I havent listened to it in awhile so I dont remember alot of it. I just remeber a few songs and the fact that I liked it.

met65

good review. Happy devil day!666

benkickass

"SO THEY CAN LICK MY SACK" is an awsome lyric :P

pattern_recognition
June 7th 2006

Good album. Cemetery Gates is my fave off this one.
And oi, hair metal ruled. I'm quite sure I stand alone in saying that though.

masada
June 7th 2006

[quote=Review]Songs like Psycho Holiday, Message in Blood, Cowboys From Hell and Primal Concrete sledge automatically suck.[/quote] You read my mind!

Meatplow
June 7th 2006

This is a definitive album for me.

I disagree with what you say about Clash With Reality being sub-par, its no more sub-par then Medicine Man and Message in Blood and i find them all classics.

I think the sleep is an underrated song.

Drunken Viking

[QUOTE=]You read my mind![/QUOTE]
:lol:

Thor
June 7th 2006

Pretty good review. This album has too much filler to be deemed superb, though.

RainShadow
June 7th 2006

Decent review, never did get into Pantera though I try.

pattern_recognition
June 7th 2006

Phil turns a lot of people off, myself included.

Mathias HIMSELF
June 7th 2006

Phil gets better in the later years of Pantera.
Classic record i love it to death, this was the start to a new heavy metal.

madanthony
June 7th 2006

^^^ I don't think this was a start of a new heavy metal metallica had been doing this kinda stuff for years before Pantera

KingHydra16
June 7th 2006

Hey (insert real name here)! Nice review, you're a pretty goo writer yourself. The Sleep definitly doesn't get the respect it deserves. Whenever I hear that opening riff and suicidal rhythm, something snaps inside me. Its like a trance. The only thing I don't like: Phil should stay in the lower range, cause I hate it when he goes all squeeky. Sure, its got emotion behind it, but not as much as his lower range. It kinda annoys me. No, definitly annoys.

madanthony
June 7th 2006

^^^Thanks (insert real name here)!

WARPATH_88
June 7th 2006

This is a great album. I love pretty much all the songs on here. They all have great guitar, drumming and bass. Phils high pitched screams kinda bother me tho.

Rayne264
June 7th 2006

cemetery gates is one of my favourite songs of all time. i love this cd.

good review

Mathias HIMSELF
June 8th 2006

i think metallica had a more blues feel than pantera, pantera definately had thrash influence but pantera just sounds way heavier than metallica, thats why i said this cd was the start of a new branch in heavy metal.

WARPATH_88
June 8th 2006

I agree with Mathias. Because Metallica had like a 4 or 5 year period between Black Album and Load. But Pantera was making albums all the way through the nu-metal period when Metallica was inbetween Black and Load.

FenderUsa
July 19th 2008

I dont think theres any filler on here at all, i never skip any track ever