Hundredth
Rare

by Shamus248 USER (60 Reviews)
June 17th, 2017 | 68 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Unafraid of stepping into the unknown, Hundredth's new direction not only holds a candle to their past, but burns brightly in its own right.

The vitality of humanity is that nothing stays the same forever (unless you're AC/DC of course). Sooner or later, something changes, evolving into something that doesn't reflect what it once was. This assumes arguably no bigger mantle of precedence elsewhere than it does in the recording industry. Artists and bands evolve like clockwork; some do so because they embrace the inevitability of it and do it for the sake of doing so. Others do it because they yearn to be something more, something greater and to branch out. Hundredth thankfully chooses the latter with their fourth studio outing Rare, their second long player released on Hopeless Records.

Hundredth, a formely melodic hardcore four piece hailing out of South Carolina has a seven year catalog of fiery melodic hardcore that fans of the genre have long thrilled to. Their 2015 effort Free, while chock full of catchy bangers, was completely and utterly akin to every release that had preceded it. The group's Revolt and Resist EPs share little to no difference in composition or approach. Even last year's single release Dead Weight would feel completely at home on any of the group's past works. Rare is a total shift into an alt rock/shoegaze hybrid that actually succeeds in spades.

Album opener "Vertigo" showcases a foray of neo-psychedelia and ambient electronics that suitably serve the group's new approach. Fans are treated to their first taste of Chadwick Johnson's clean vocals and it's a victory by all accounts. Johnson is a fantastic singer and this is the first of many qualities fans never knew the group's members had in their arsenal. I'm sure fans didn't know Alex Blackwell was as perfectly suited a guitarist he is for alt rock as he was for melodic hardcore. He provides a ton of catchy lead guitar on the track's chorus.

"Neurotic" features more great vocals from Johnson, but he allows his talented crew a chance to show off their instrumental chops. Lee Hutchison's drumming is some of the best this format has seen this side of Silversun Pickups. "White Squall" sees a crooning Johnson swiftly grace the listener's ears while Andrew Minervini's rhythm guitar creates a harmonic blend among the group's musicians. Minervini also provides bass that is both audible and solid to add strong depth to the track's harmony. "Suffer" features some nice guitar distortion and a mesmerizing opening that segues into strongly sung verses from Johnson.

"Down" is an all out indie rock effort with more distorted riffage to open and solid drumming from Hutchison. Johnson sings of "forgetting the hell" and "screaming through the sound" and it isn't out of the realm of plausibility to suggest this is how the group feels about forging a new direction. While I'm sure they don't hate where they've been, they must feel refreshed to advance their career with a new approach and thankfully, they succeed. "Shy Vein" has some nice synths and basslines in the opening and a catchy chorus, while album closer "Departure" uses every chance to treat the listener to one more helping of all the group's strength in an over five minute effort.

Rare is an outstanding release that sees a band once limited by a format that didn't allow much room for experimentation within itself. Hundredth has shifted gears and by undertaking this logical and creative evolution, they've not only created new opportunities but seized them in full effect. Chadwick Johnson gives easily the best vocal performance of his young career and he, of course does so, by trading in screaming into the microphone in exchange for letting his true vocal chops shine brightly. The group's instrumentalists are also in peak form and prove themselves as convincing multi faceted musicians. One of 2017's best success stories thus far comes from a band who branch out and plant new seeds in doing so.

We Came As Romans Cold Like WarPink Beautiful Trauma
Neck Deep The Peace And The PanicAshland Wildfire
All Time Low Last Young RenegadeRascal Flatts Back to Us
higgyson (4.5)
A shoegaze album from a hardcore band??? Well, when it's this good, it doesn't really matter......

JesperL
June 17th 2017

nice review!

I tried to write one myself but just ended up sounding really fanboyish because I just love this so much. could see myself 5-ing this at some point

Digging: ROAM - Great Heights & Nosedives

Lefondre
June 17th 2017

This is a cool sound for these guys and it's better than Free but I still found it to be pretty repetitive.

Digging: Counterparts - You're Not You Anymore

June 18th 2017

So, I am completely new to these guys, although I listen to a lot of hardcore stuff. A few weeks back I read about their change of sound etc. and I absolutely love the direction they have taken. When I heard the singles I knew the album would be good. Currently especially enjoying the last track.

Nice write-up!

Mort.
June 18th 2017

had no idea these guys were still goin

Digging: Emma Ruth Rundle - Marked For Death

Speed512
June 18th 2017

They're from South Carolina not South California.

June 18th 2017

"[...] but I still found it to be pretty repetitive."

I somehow agree, but I only find it a bit repetitive. Doesn't bother me though.

StickFeit

Pretty dope

cableguy
June 18th 2017

If they really mean it seriously with their change of sound, they shouldĀ“ve changed their name imo.

It kinda feels like they are jumping on the shoegaze train under their relatively big name, having their change of sound being another temporary paycheck until they find the next big thing to jump on.

Album is really nice btw, what kind of sucks.

Shamus248
June 18th 2017

Jesper, I don't blame you man!

Speed, thanks m8. honest typo. my bad

Digging: Pink - Beautiful Trauma

Lefondre
June 18th 2017

I don't think anyone has pulled off the 'shoegaze transition' as well as Turnover yet.

Agreed Henry. The closer is the best on here.

Danred97
June 18th 2017

Well, I'm impressed by this. I was afraid because the singles didn't really pull me in, but they work much better in the context of the album. The second half of the album (aside from the closer) may a little samey, but this is still very well done.

Digging: Tyson Motsenbocker - Almira

teamster

1900 Comments

So they don't sound like this previously? Too bad because I really like this album. Excellent review and thanks.

Digging: Coldrain - FATELESS

Azertherion
June 19th 2017

This is somehow way better than their previous albums. I did not expect this

Digging: Four Tet - Pause

Cubacabra
June 19th 2017

The album art has an interesting visual effect when scrolling through albums on your preferred music app.

Ebola
June 19th 2017

Found this really boring tbh

TooManyFriends
June 19th 2017

this record isn't super innovative or something but way better than the Great Value version of counterparts they'd been up to this point

ThisIsTheApocalypse
June 19th 2017

Man i gotta get on some Hundredth

Hellscythe

2064 Comments

this album's all you need honestly, the rest of their stuff is really generic and mediocre hardcore

Digging: Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun

June 20th 2017

^ this.

schoonda
June 20th 2017

so wait this is good? the singles sound verrry samey

Digging: Citizen - As You Please