DragonForce
Reaching into Infinity

by TundraL5Z USER (1 Reviews)
May 19th, 2017 | 17 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: DragonForce incorporates a more progressive edge to their sound, perhaps allowing them to actually "Reach Into Infinity"

DragonForce has always been a band that you can listen to from time to time, and not take too seriously. In fact, the band doesnt take themselves too seriously when composing their music, that is we have the insanity that is "Inhuman Rampage" and "Ultra Beatdown" which are very much video game inspired records, there are also many sections of their songs that are near impossible to play realistically on guitar and this where their gimmick i feel really goes hand-in-hand with DF. Their known as the band that features incredibly impressive musicianship but at the same time falls into the category in which all of their songs sound unfortunately very similar. (Verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-breakdown-chorus).

Fortunately however with this new record "Reaching Into Infinity" DragonForce have really stepped out of their box that they are so well known to be shackled into and this time are incorporating a more progressive edge to their sound, something that we have not seen from DragonForce from any of their previous releases. The first single they dropped from the album "Judgement Day" features a keyboard section that sounds like something Dream Theater would incorporate into one of their progressive suites, followed by of course a face melting solo from mr. Herman Lee and Sam Totman (This is a reoccurring theme in the album, but you already knew that cause its DragonForce). The next song they released "Curse of Darkness" features an intro that is quite epic and something we havent heard from the band until this album.
A ballad is even featured in this record called "Silence" which is really quite beautiful followed by a solo that really fits with the whole mood of the song. Brand new elements that DragonForce have never touched are littered all over this record with each song feeling unique and making it become its own, which their previous songs did not have as they all sort of blended together. Bridges, breakdowns etc. are unique and very out of the norm for the traditional DF agenda.

And if you thought this progressive onslaught where just subtle nods in all of these songs, here we have their longest song DragonForce has ever written to date "The Edge of the World" with a run time of over 11 minutes long, this behemoth of a track cuts itself into a couple sections with sort of a traditional DragonForce structure in the beginning, but then progressing into almost a Death Metal song with some impressive growls from their bassist Frédéric Leclercq, if you thought DragonForce was a one trick poney, listen to this song and i assure you that you will be very mistaken.

Overall with this blending of the DragonForce sound we all know in with these progressive elements, it has resulted in something that is much more interesting than anything they have released in recent times and guitar solo fanatics will not be dissapointed with this album, although there are some cliches that are always prominent in DragonForce, i do think this release as a whole is some of DragonForces best work to date,

3.3
Chamberbelain (2.5)
Essentially, an hour long fanfare....

Mabbitt
May 19th 2017

A couple of grammar issues throughout the review, but the point still gets across. Edge of the World just might be my new favorite Dragonforce song.

TundraL5Z
May 19th 2017

Yes, apologies about those mistakes...

Digging: Covet - Currents EP

May 19th 2017

Surprisingly dug this a lot. It's actually their best album imo.

Digging: The Mercury Tree - Permutations

ScuroFantasma
May 19th 2017

Good review, slightly cringey summary but it fits the DF cheese I guess. Will check this album, enjoyed their last one quite a lot.

Digging: Nokturnal Mortum - Verity

Redeemer28
May 20th 2017

This album is absolutely fantastic! Surprisingly their best, they sound very mature and every song has something to remember. Marc has really become the vocalist to take Dragonforce to the next level, but everyone sounds in peak form on this album. You got absolute headbangers in Astral Empire, Ashes of the Dawn and War!, absolute DF craziness in Midnight Madness and Land of Shattered Dreams, a beautiful and emotional ballad in Silence, a solid single in Judgment Day.

The icing on the cake comes in the form of an epic in The Edge of the World, which I can easily consider one of the best songs they wrote. I would consider Our Final Stand as a hidden gem here, absolutely dig it. They can only get better from here, and it is looking really good for them. Even their cover of Evil Dead is splendid. Amazing stuff.

Intothepit

Kalopsia

ZP Theart >>>>>>>>>> Marc Hudson

Digging: Osaka Punch - Death Monster Super Squad

May 21st 2017

I'm legitimately contemplating on buying this.

LeOmegaInquisitor

This is enjoyable

Hellscythe
May 21st 2017

is this good? surely this can't actually be good.

Digging: Brutus - Burst

May 21st 2017

I'll say this, there isn't as much wank as their previous albums.

TundraL5Z
May 22nd 2017

If you like some good o'l power metal, i dont see why you wont like this

Pebster49
May 23rd 2017

Expecting to hear a hilarious wank fest, but instead got very good music. So far, digging this

dfevil085
May 23rd 2017

Was not expecting how good the Edge of The World was going to be.

frozencarl
May 25th 2017

can't wait to see them in July 8)

Digging: Words of Farewell - Immersion

peartnoy
May 28th 2017

Really didn't like the singles that much. I really really liked Maximum Overload so i'll still check this out (rating is my prediction).