Nodachi
Beyond Death Beyond Reason

by Zachary J. Dixon USER (78 Reviews)
May 2nd, 2017 | 42 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The sound of Earth's timid grace.

Few records are able to bring me a true level of comfort. A feeling that in spite of life's tragedies and misgivings, everything's going to be ok. That every fretful moment spent is a long dead corpse that I must bury and move on from, and that with that the weight of my mistakes, my stupidity, my irresponsibility, will be buried with it. However, that’s just what Nodachi’s “Beyond Death, Beyond Reason” has done. The warmth that radiates from it is a like a mediator between the fantasy I yearn to live in and the reality that I must shape for myself. The graceful, timid givings of this album transport me to a land where my burdens are a ghost of what they were.

That’s the lustrous beauty that this album manages to create. Swirling, dizzying drum fills and guitar riffs are counteracted with soporific violin and a small sprinkling of nature samples. These sounds are all so intricate and crafted, it should feel like you’re listening to an immense orchestration than anything. Sometimes, you are. Off tracks like “Jin-Kalil, Prince of Psychopathy” the drums and guitar are nearly claustrophobic with their sheer intensity, and dare I say, aggression. However these moments seldom stay as they transition into tranquility. This makes the chaotic moments exponentially more interesting as their power feels much more fresh and explosive each time.

Sometimes, you’re not listening to an orchestration. At times you feel like you aren't even listening to music at all, but instead gathered around the comforting warmth of a campfire drinking a smooth Irish Whiskey to calm your languid soul. This can be heard especially of the tracks “The Village of Echigoya” or “Blood Covers the Earth, Autumn Reigns”, the former of which is ruled entirely by violin and nature samples. In these moments the album's beauty truly shines, simply because it feels so organic and down to earth. It’s nearly hypnotic in these moments, drawing you into a euphoric trance like no other.

What really caps this all of is the rather impressive level of variety and technical skill Nodachi shows they are capable of. They perfectly meld together technical and sporadic Progressive metal with a melodic and passion form of Emo music (with a light sprinkling of Electronic even showing up on the final track). The transitions are never forced or jarring, and the record is seamlessly woven together, with each track remaining distinctly it's own sound while still manage to blend in with the overarching atmosphere of the record.

The only potential downside to this record is that it’s an EP that clocks in at barely 17 minutes. Nodachi can expand immensely on their sound, and so it’s unfortunate that what they have presented does feel like only a tidbit of the true masterpiece that hopefully awaits, but alas, this a small misgiving. The band has achieved an unparalleled beauty that most bands spend years searching for, and Nodachi has managed it on their first record, and for that, I must commend them.

Ellende TodbringerDeath in June But, What Ends When the Symbols Shatter?
Comeback Kid Turn It AroundDalek Endangered Philosophies
Eluveitie Evocation II: PantheonDays N Daze Rogue Taxidermy

verdant
May 1st 2017

great review. will have a look at this

Asdfp277

this is good

Damn right my man

icantfukwitufukwitu
May 2nd 2017

this reads like a ballsdeep diary entry

Prancer
May 2nd 2017

This is pretty cool. I love the artwork too.

MillionDead

Prog+emo+weebism = hotness

Calc
May 2nd 2017

wow i didn't think you liked this that much

br4dl3yb34r
May 2nd 2017

This is an amazing debut. I'll be keeping an eye on these guys.

May 2nd 2017

"wow i didn't think you liked this that much"
Yeah man this record gave me chills. Can't wait to see a full length from them. Also thanks for showing me these dudes!

May 2nd 2017

Never occured to me how much I enjoyed the album until I started writing and I could just go off hard about it

Evokaphile

Awesome review man

Digging: The Tragically Hip - Road Apples

Kusangii
May 2nd 2017

This is like... 15 minutes long?

MillionDead
May 2nd 2017

Less. Also, the drum fills on this are just stupid.

May 2nd 2017

Oh yeah the dudes beastly

Asdfp277

14 mins, yea

Kusangii
May 2nd 2017

This is really cool, wish it was longer

TheSpirit
May 2nd 2017

Not a bad review, but I had no idea what type of music this was until the second to last paragraph.

Digging: Grinning Death's Head - Blood War

May 2nd 2017

That's because Nodachi is hardly genre definitive. The most accurate description would be those two genres but truthfully they are a sound of their own.

TheSpirit
May 2nd 2017

That's fine I guess, but you could add something. Without context, all of your descriptions are kind of meaningless.

I wouldn't say meaningless. Still, I see your point