Tangerine Dream
Zeit

by rodrigo90 USER (8 Reviews)
April 21st, 2017 | 35 replies

Release Date: 1972 | Tracklist

Review Summary: No longer in need of any contact with the material world.

If you had reach that level in the music weirdness pyramid, keep reading, if not, keep listening Katy Perry.

First of all, let's start the review by saying that Germany gave the world unique artists such us kraftwerk of course, can, passport and tangerine dream.

One of the finest moments of Germany in musical terms was the creation of the kraut-rock. Their very own genre which got recognizable only thanks to Kraftwerk popularity during the 70's, especially when their album autobahn became their breakthrough album in the world. But this is a a different story.

Tangerine dream is a popular instrumental band which also started during the 70's, though not as popular as their peers, but they have a respectable trajectory, thanks to either people who are more comfortable with modern classical music or you are an entity looking for the most anti-sociable music ever.

Unfortunately, the band suffers from what experimental bands usually suffers from: a limited fanbase, some dedicated listener or as the music pyramid itself says, you are an obsessive with music and basically your life is music, you breath music and your world is music.. If you can't reach them is because your music interest is superficial or you didn't have the luckiness I had for example to listen to one of their albums by accident in youtube. Now, tangerine is for advanced listeners and by advanced I mean you really enjoy this weird mix between rock, electronic music, space music and avant-garde, extensive instrumentation and the length of their songs are usually quite long. The band is mostly instrumental so don't expect any vocals at all.

It only took me less than 10 minutes to get the idea of this album. Take some of your deepest unconscious thoughts, and some emptiness of space combined it, and there you have Zeit. An album that combines contemporary experimental music, and interesting instrumentation to make one of the creepiest albums I ever listened to.

If there's something interesting about this album is the usage of orchestra but not in a traditional way but as an element to add more creepiness to the already dark background that the songs has. For example Birth of Liquid Plejades has that "Alien inspired atmosphere" that makes the listener a little if not uncomfortable or with the feeling of uncertainty. The only thing is I don't recommend you to listen to this album if are very tired because you'll surely have a nervous breakdown due to the dense atmosphere the album brings.

The length of the songs are maybe tricky, but don't worry the songs are smartly arranged in order to keep the listener with the attention of the music rather than giving the impression of a monotonous song that seems to never ends.

To conclude, it's a great piece of music, and if you are into this experimental fusion music, you'll most likely enjoy this.

Soda Stereo Soda StereoOur Lady Peace Curve

good review excellent Album

Digging: Cruciamentum - Charnel Passages

Saros
April 20th 2017

Glad to see this has a review now. Undoubtedly an excellent album and overall a classic band.

SandwichBubble

Y E S

Album's a classic disguised as a 4.5

Digging: Mick Farren - Mona - The Carnivorous Circus

April 20th 2017

I started listening tangerine dream light this very morning and I wrote the review 6 hours later and I'm impressed, my uncle is right I SHOULD HAVE STUDIED JOURNALISM

There, I corrected some typos

Germans in the 70s I tell ya

April 20th 2017

I absolutely love these guys. I own like 30 of their records. They have so many studio albums it's hard to keep track of them all. Phaedra is my fav

Saros
April 20th 2017

Phaedra is the best yeah, at least if not my personal favorite. Rubycon is also noteworthy.

April 20th 2017

The discography is so extensive that I had to cut the discography to not blow up my cellphone

April 20th 2017

I also downloaded the discography of passport and so far they're pretty good too. Fucking Germand all they make is fucking genius

Most definitely. Ricochet, Atem, Stratosfear, Exit...too many good listens

MrSirLordGentleman

Ricochet is their best

Asdfp277
April 21st 2017

artwork for this looks surprisingly modern, it has aged very well as has most of their artwork actually

April 21st 2017

Most of their artwork is magnificent.

April 21st 2017

Been a fan for years and still haven't heard every album in its entirety. A LOT of studio albums.

Asdfp277
April 21st 2017

never had the time to check this band, and yeah their artwork is gorgeous most of the time

e210013
April 21st 2017

Nice review buddy. It's nice to see some love here by this great band, the masters of prog electronic music. This is really one of their best works indeed. Pos.

Flugmorph
April 21st 2017

yeee give tangerine dream some love bud

bourgeoisie af

Digging: Oxbow - Thin Black Duke

RunOfTheMill
April 21st 2017

The review is good, your points are developed enough to describe the album. It is, however, riddled with grammar and spelling errors. I assume English isn't your native tongue, so it's forgivable, but next time, ask someone to proof read your review.

And yeah the artwork is beautiful, definitely grabs my attention. Listening now...

Digging: Perturbator - The Uncanny Valley