Nightbringer
Terra Damnata

by Brett Tharp STAFF
April 17th, 2017 | 76 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Naas Alcameth and CO. return with . . . essentially more of the same, absurdity and kvltness in no small measure.

As complex and “kvlt” as they like to portray themselves, Nightbringer are just about as orthodox as underground black metal comes these days. Underneath the chaotic technicality and obscure occult trappings their latest outing, Terra Damnata, is startlingly traditional. At heart it’s really just a series of grandiose keys, blazing riffs, and frenetic drumming, obligatory shrieks ov satan glazed over the top. The greatest claim to uniqueness that I can find is that they’re a distinctly European inspired, yet American reared outfit in a sea of USBM acts. Sure it helps them stand out from the native pack, but you can trace a lot of their sound back to some of the well known forces of the Norwegian second wave, Emperor being one of the most recognizable. Oh hell, I’ll cut them a little slack. I can give them some mad props for stringing along a bit of that ritualized weirdness I love about bands like Serpent Noir, but it’s nowhere near their level of execution or self-aware, pretention fueled honesty. And it’s hard not to feel like Naas Alcameth and company peaked already on Ego Dominus Tuus (hell, I’d go so far as to say Naas peaked with his most recent side project Akhlys, a better and more dynamic Nightbringer that Nightbringer), but there’s more than enough frantic energy and gleeful absurdity on Terra Damnata to satisfy.

There isn’t a single bit of grace as opener “As Wolves Amongst Ruins” takes all of three seconds to explode into blitzkrieg rhythms and blaring sirens imitating guitar leads, but that’s alright. If I heard another ambient buildup cosplaying subtlety, I’d have turned the album off immediately. Nightbringer don’t give one single *** about subtlety and I applaud them for that in a weird way. Well, maybe they think they do at times, like the orchestrated cooldown to the very same track or the fabulously long winded piano intro to “Let Silence Be His Sacred Name” (a whopping 35 seconds!), but I also “suspect” (alternately insert “hope”) they’re being a little tongue in cheek with these moments. In any case there’s not a lot of downtime to be found within Terra Damnata, and if there were I reckon that the album’s effect would’ve been diluted substantially.

There’s also a certain mold that seven of the eight album cuts fit into, blistering trems into blistering blast beats into banshee screams and so on. Copy and paste six minute runtimes for most of them and you have the bulk of the tracks here, minus “Let Silence Be His Sacred Name” which not so coincidentally drags a tad next to the rest. It’s not really so much of a concern since the sheer speed, energy and chaos of the ensemble takes up so much of your attention that you no longer notice such minor roadblocks. “Serpent Sun” closes out the record with a slightly different approach as the music slows down and mournful guitar melodies ease us out of the darkness. It’s a nice diversion even if it’s not so far out of Nightbringer’s usual jurisdiction. All the same, if the album had run with that approach and even built on it some, Terra Damnata wouldn’t feel quite so much like the intensely fun rehash it boils down to.

Battle Dagorath II - Frozen Light of Eternal DarknessWolves in the Throne Room Thrice Woven
Dayseeker Dreaming is Sinking /// Waking is RisingThe Acacia Strain Gravebloom
Twilight Fauna The Year the Stars FellGhost Bath Starmourner

April 16th 2017

pretty dope album tbh even if I rail on it a bit.

almost started a closing paragraph but then i kinda thought it ended pretty nicely on that last one, dunno if too abrupt or not lemme know

can jam on spotify or bandcamp or whatever XD use google urself u lazy bums wtf

Digging: Wolves in the Throne Room - Thrice Woven

April 16th 2017

Hated their last one. On the fence about checking this. Good rev

trilogique21
April 16th 2017

wasn't a big fan of the first single i heard but i liked their last album so i'll probably check this out

Good rev [2]

Digging: Spectral Voice - Eroded Corridors of Unbeing

April 16th 2017

"as you should've gleamed from the review it's not very different from ego, so I'd recommend skipping this one since you didn't like the last."

Yeah but some friends of mine who didn't like the last one either seemed more positive about this so I was like eeehhhhh maybee??

April 16th 2017

this is about 20 minutes shorter and maybe you'll find it more dynamic or something but that's about it, give it a check if you get real curious doe i guess

Essence
April 16th 2017

will probably check, this is my type of bm jam lately

ZippaThaRippa
April 16th 2017

Oh shit yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, it's finally all the way out!

analogplutonium
April 17th 2017

great album with some really mean riffs. Although it does not redefine anything, it's going to be really hard to top this as the best orthodox black metal release of the year. Also I definitely enjoy this more than their last one, which was a very good album already imho.

tastepolice
April 17th 2017

have I called them trendy garbage here yet?
I don't remember

trendy garbage

EphemeralEternity
April 17th 2017

great review/album even if the latter is indeed more of the same

April 17th 2017

Sounds pretty solid. We need more raw black metal bands in the U.S lol all of them want to be Deafheaven or some shit

Essence

this aint raw son

That's what I think of when I hear pure, more European influenced Black metal

ZippaThaRippa
April 17th 2017

Okay well that's not raw, son

April 17th 2017

Eh, I think it is. It's definitely more raw then the modern Black metal scene.

April 17th 2017

I mean shit like Mayhem, Darkthrone, what have you. Maybe even old Behemoth.

April 17th 2017

This is so polished that how you could think it is raw is beyond me

Nightbringer spearhead underground clean black metal

They are the anti-raw

EphemeralEternity
April 17th 2017

I guess traditional is the word he's looking for? as in musically/stylistically because production is pretty sterile

April 17th 2017

Plenty of trad black metal everywhere, there is in no way a lack of it