Havok
Conformicide

by Zachary J. Dixon USER (76 Reviews)
March 20th, 2017 | 74 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Thrash with bash.

Havok is a somewhat bare-bones thrash metal hailing from Denver, Colorado that has been making music since 2004 and was signed into Candlelight records in 2009. This is their 4th album, which musically is present by their very tight and concise musicianship. There are fiery riffs alongside rampant drumming and cackling vocals that are very reminiscent of bands like Overkill.

That being said, Havok's "Conformicide" is raw. It's relentless. It's an aggravating assault that becomes more ferocious with the anti-political venom spit forth from vocalist David Sanchez. It's a more appropriate time then any to release a big "*** you" to politics in light of past events, and Havok does it without beating around the bush in the slightest.

"Political correctness: free speech seized
Political correctness is a social disease
Political correctness: free speech seized
Political correctness is a social disease"

Lyrically, this record is raw and unhinged (although perhaps a bit immature), and is a blatant attack on the biased and crumbling media and news outlets that surround us. There is no time wasted on pretty analogies or pretensions metaphors-Havok burst down the walls with their middle fingers up and tell you then and there what they think. The aforementioned "F.P.C" is the first track and it tells you concisely exactly what it's message was meant to convey. Anger. An absolute rage that permeates this record both lyrically and sonically.

In terms of sound, "Conformicide" is basically your typical thrash, just simply done with a bit more finesse and power. There are crunchy, mean-sounding riffs, blazing solos and blistering drum patterns and fills constantly present off this record, all topped off by the ear splitting shrieks performed by David. Thrash metal vocals are generally gruff as to be expected, but David takes this to the next level. His voice sounds like he lined the inside of his throat with sandpaper, creating a sound that could only best be described as Overkill-meets-Motorhead. His voice is simply beaten to hell and rough as could be, which only makes Havok sound that much more infuriated and pummeling.

The best part about this record however, perhaps the defining features of "Conformicide" is that funky bass. There are some serious grooves laid down through the entirety off this record, and while somewhat off putting and perhaps a tad bit shoehorned in, they, for lack of a beatter phrase, rule hard. There are simply too many great bass hooks to simply pick out one, and while some thrash elitists my sneer, it's rare you get to hear such sweet bass in something like thrash metal, where the guitar reigns supreme. Of course aside from this, "Conformicide" IS pretty typical thrash. However when the solos run ablaze like wildfire alongside ripping drum work and vocals that sound like a wailing banshee, what can you be dissapointed with? You cannot ask for more bash in your thrash then this record, and sometimes that's all a metal fan wants to hear.

Comeback Kid Turn It AroundDalek Endangered Philosophies
Eluveitie Evocation II: PantheonDays N Daze Rogue Taxidermy
City of Caterpillar Driving Spain Up A WallExecration (NOR) Return to the Void
ThatDjentyFool (4)
Denver thrashers Havok bring their razor sharp A-game....

March 20th 2017

I'm not even a huge thrash fan but this rocked pretty hard.

AngryLittleAlchemist

"Political correctness: free speech seized
Political correctness is a social disease
Political correctness: free speech seized
Political correctness is a social disease"

Ugh.

Maco097
March 20th 2017

Oh lol I can see where this is getting to.

AngryLittleAlchemist
March 20th 2017

Sorry man, I found this review ( for a couple of reasons ) to be fairly poorly written : /

I suppose it's cool for fans of this band to have a thread to talk in, though...

March 20th 2017

What was poorly written? I actually felt this was one of my better ones

Madbutcher3

reddit metal

Astral Abortis
March 20th 2017

The review lacks a proper intro para. The first para here reads like you jumped in halfway

March 20th 2017

I guess it just felt proper. Like the album is so raw and straight forward that I wanted my review to be the same. It looks a little awkward but I can't really imagine anything else would be fitting.

Xenorazr
March 20th 2017

Glad to see this get a review, but it does need some touching up.

March 20th 2017

I suppose I'll add a small introduction later, we'll see how it goes.

DungeonBoy
March 20th 2017

"In terms of sound, "Conformicide" is basically your atypical thrash, just simply done with a bit more finesse and power."

Interesting! This band has historically been very by the books typical thrash.

Xenorazr
March 20th 2017

Yeah, this is essentially the offspring of Overkill and Megadeth.

Astral Abortis
March 20th 2017

Yeah "atypical" is the opposite of what you mean

theacademy

awesome album

vermillionZ
March 20th 2017

Very repetitive and boring in my opinion, then again people point out tracks like "Intention to deceive" to be outstanding while that is by far my least favorite of the album.

I guess it just isn't for me.

hansoloshotfirst
March 20th 2017

In terms of sound, "Conformicide" is basically your atypical thrash
"Conformicide" IS pretty typical thrash
pls decide
(spoiler: the second description fits better)

Digging: Tau Cross - A Pillar Of Fire

StrikeOfTheBeast
March 20th 2017

The review isn't offensive if it's underdeveloped.

Anthracks
March 20th 2017

the lyrics are sooo cringe haha. solos are good and riffs are decent. overall not aggressive enough to match the pissed off mood it's going for

March 20th 2017

I actually fucked up I meant to say typical, thanks for catching that!

DungeonBoy
March 20th 2017

Gave this the ol' start to finish, and yeah it's pretty solid. Possibly their best record to date, and there are some fresh ideas on this, especially in the groove department with the bass/drums. Probably won't come back to this often personally but a good effort on their part. I will say, this band is really tight live.