Amorphis
An Evening with Friends at Huvila

by manosg STAFF
March 19th, 2017 | 21 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A very enchanting evening with Amorphis.

There is something about early Amorphis that transports me back to my childhood and my mid-teen years when I was discovering their music through Tuonela. On the same package with their 1999 release, was the My Kantele EP which made me fall in love even more with the band but for some reason, I never managed to connect significantly with their post-Tuonela material. This makes An Evening with Friends at Huvila a challenging live album as all of its tracks, with the exception of “My Kantele”, come from Am Universum onwards.

Amorphis’ latest live release is in essence the first of two 1-hour sets performed at Huvila-teltta on August 27, 2016 for an arts festival. The second set consisted of Under the Red Cloud on its entirety, while the first one comprised of songs from Am Universum, Far from the Sun, Silent Waters, Skyforger and Cirlce.

Opening track “Enigma” sets the mood perfectly as we are treated with beautiful acoustic melodies which dominate almost the first half of the set. An emotional acoustic rendition of “Far from the Sun” follows, which is surprising due to its sheer presence on the setlist as it hasn’t been performed live by the band since 2005. This part of the album has an atmosphere that resembles more to that of a gathering of friends around a campfire, which essentially makes the music more personal. Amorphis are no longer a melodeath act but rather a band of bards. The use of instruments like the saxophone, the piano and the jouhikko (Finnish lyra) provide a sense of mystique and elegance which works perfectly on this acoustic setting.

After “My Kantele”, the band proceeds to the metal part of their performance by using “Silver Bride” as a link between the two parts of their set. “Sampo” and “Alone” work brilliantly together and are extended and enhanced by additional instrumental parts. However, since this is an evening with friends, they close their performance with a magical collaboration with Anneke van Giersbergen which is arguably the highlight of the LP as her voice is combined perfectly with Tomi’s and she gives a fresh breath of air to “Her Alone”.

The production is very fitting as each instrument can be heard clearly but it still feels like a live album. In addition, listening Tomi perform some mid-era Amorphis adds value to what is a very strong release which will probably satisfy even those who prefer the band’s first era.

Iced Earth IncorruptibleDanzig Black Laden Crown
Deep Purple inFiniteWitherfall Nocturnes and Requiems
Horisont About TimeMotorhead Everything Louder Than Everyone Else

March 19th 2017

Been seriously binging on this one for the past 2-3 weeks so here's a quick write up to bring it to your attention.

Full concert on 360°: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9OHjIeo1uY&t=438s

"Her Alone" w/Anneke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sufeGxjCuEg

Digging: Dimmu Borgir - Forces of the Northern Night

deslad
March 19th 2017

Really great review manos, mind pos. Such a great live album this one, I really enjoyed the track with Anneke too.

Digging: The Chieftains - The Long Black Veil

EvoHavok
March 19th 2017

Oh, nice, you reviewed this! Loved seeing mid-era songs sung by Tomi Joutsen and, of course, the duet with Anneke. Also, having a third of the album consist of Silent Waters is another big plus, considering it's my favourite Amorphis.

Digging: Sukekiyo - ADORATIO

Arcade
March 19th 2017

why do all of their album covers look exactly the same

Digging: Converge - I Can Tell You About Pain

March 19th 2017

wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut? a new amorphis release i wasnt aware of? WUUUUUUUUUUUUUT?!?

ZippaThaRippa
March 19th 2017

The saxophonist really needed to shut the FUCK up on Sampo

Hawks

Gotta jam this asap.

March 20th 2017

Glad you're enjoying this one des and Evo! More people should check it.

EvoHavok
March 20th 2017

@Arcade This is part of the Under the Red Cloud tour edition, but it can also be bought as a standalone on iTunes. Otherwise, I don't get your claim at all; they actually have some nice and distinctive artwork.

DungeonBoy
March 20th 2017

Nice review man. I love old and new Amorphis, and will definitely check this out.

Digging: Nhor - Wildflowers: Summer

March 20th 2017

Thanks dude. I appreciate you checking my reviews!

Archelirion
March 21st 2017

This really reminds me that I should listen to Amorphis at some point - a lot of catching up to do! Lovely review for a live, which are always tricky bastards to write about.

March 21st 2017

Thanks Arch, yeah these bad boys are sometimes a bit tricky as you have to nitpick and distinguish extended versions of tracks, improvisations, etc.

But yeah, definitely check them, they really are worth your time. If you're into melodeath, Tales From the Thousand Lakes is a classic.

March 21st 2017

their newer era > older stuff tho

March 21st 2017

Depends Flug dude. To me their '90s material has a certain magic (and mayhem) that their newer stuff lacks. That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy greatly their latter albums but Tales and Elegy is where it's at for me.

DungeonBoy
March 21st 2017

Heh, yeah my favorite is Elegy and then probably Red Cloud. Very different records.

Dewinged
March 21st 2017

Same here, Elegy is just insane.

Nice write-up manosg, I'll have to check that 360º video after work.

Digging: Elegi - Bnsull

March 22nd 2017

Cheers Dewi. Remember to keep your expectations a bit low regarding the 360º video because it is little blurry.

March 23rd 2017

man this is totally magical. reminds me why i loved the band in the first place

ScuroFantasma
March 24th 2017

"why do all of their album covers look exactly the same"

I think it's legit the same art from Under... with the colours reversed

Great review Manosg, might have to spin this after all, haven't given these guys much of a chance actually.

Digging: Mistigo Varggoth Darkestra - The Key to the Gates of the Apocalypse