Fit for an Autopsy
The Great Collapse

by John M USER (3 Reviews)
March 18th, 2017 | 42 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Nope, No TEEHEE here.

Fit For An Autopsy are a deathcore band formed in 2008 and this is their 4th full length album.

Entitled "The Great Collapse", it is a 9 track affair and I have grown very fond of the band after listening to it.

The first song I want to touch on is the first single "Heads Will Hang", it's an absolutely brilliant tune. It starts off with a really heavy groove, speeding up through the chorus before becoming incredibly melancholic with well done clean vocals before building up to an amazing breakdown.

Then comes "Black Mammoth" a heavy track both musically and lyrically, the song details the strife of the Native Americans and the battle for oil, with the title "Black Mammoth" being a fitting metaphor, a lumbering beast symbolising the oil industry.

Quality over quantity is the main focus of "The Great Collapse" and it is beautifully executed. There isn't a truly bad song on this record. I have my personal favourites (the 2 previously mentioned singles and "Hydra") but other tracks like "When The Bulbs Burn Out" and "Too Late" help to establish Fit For An Autopsy as a force to be reckoned with in the Deathcore scene.

For those left angry by the abortion Suicide Silence calls their new album, Fit For An Autopsy have delivered on everything they set out to do and more. It's up there in my top albums of 2017 so far.

cryptologous

uhhhhhhhh

Digging: Fen - Winter

Khaotica
March 18th 2017

They've taken a huge influence from Gojira on this one to great effect; from the theme and lyrics, to the riffs and atmosphere.

Drubbi
March 18th 2017

Hey my dude. No offence, but this is an incredibly sloppy review. Clocking in at just 238 words, you certainly lack enough points to warrant the 4/5 rating. I'll give some examples:

"Then comes "Black Mammoth" a heavy track both musically and lyrically".
This point is fine, but what makes the song come off as heavy? Just saying the song is heavy in both sound and lyricism doesn't give me much to work off of. Are the guitars sludgy due to the topic of the song? Is the song slow and methodical, or fast and doom-esque? You need to expand on these points.

"...but other tracks like "When The Bulbs Burn Out" and "Too Late" help to establish Fit For An Autopsy as a force to be reckoned with in the Deathcore scene."
How do these songs establish them as a force to be reckoned with? This is an extension of my last point. You have some good points considering your short length, but you need to further the points you are trying to make.

"For those left angry by the abortion Suicide Silence calls their new album..."
This sort of back-handed comment, and the tagline for the review, don't particularly have a place in your review considering you don't once compare the two bands. Expanding on this idea of FFAA succeeding in expanding their sound where SS failed miserably makes for a more intriguing and fleshed-out read.

Again, not trying to be rude, just helping you out dude. You start the review with an incredibly short description of the band, and then jump right into the album. Talking about their past albums and the progression (or perhaps regression) of their sound gets readers interested and intrigued as to how FFAA has produced an album worthy of a 4/5 rating.

Hope this helped man.

Digging: Sorority Noise - You're Not As ____ As You Think

Drubbi
March 18th 2017

also @cryptologus seeing that fucking gif the entire time I was writing that was the most uncomfortable experience of my life.

SteveOffProbation
March 18th 2017

these guys are so ehhhhhhh

March 18th 2017

Flesh out your writing more. This is a really bare bones review and describing only a few random tracks (as opposed to the album's highs/lows and general style) feels really weird.

SteakByrnes
March 18th 2017

Deathcore release? Better make a reference to Suicide Silence's new album!

Seriously, we get it, that album is trash now can we move on?

Digging: Earthists. - Dreamscape

tellah
March 18th 2017

Not really a great review, but I've wanted to check this band for awhile. You should try and be less informal in your writing. Avoid awkward setups like "The first song I want to touch on is the first single"

Digging: Hasan - Land of the Unknown

Gameofmetal
March 18th 2017

some shitty one liners like "when you cut off the head, fucking two grow back" but otherwise this is their best so far

Digging: Fen - Winter

March 18th 2017

listening now and the guitar tone is definitely straight Gojira, but the harsh vocals are straight Red Chord. Interesting combo, except for the unnecessary cleans.

ExhaleTheLight
March 19th 2017

This guy stole my soundoff

DarthHideous1

Best album to date

Digging: Fit for an Autopsy - The Great Collapse

John7
March 19th 2017

I appreciate the pointers @Drubbi, and thank you for being civil about your critique about my critique. You make valid points although I personally feel the more chilled out, informal style makes me somewhat unique (I hate using that word sometimes).

I'd like to point out that reviews don't need to be massive, it is a fact that these days people's attention spans are shorter. People don't want to read an essay, they just want to know if the subject of the criticism is good or not.

March 19th 2017

you say "people" as if to imply the people using your review as a source of info aren't the ones commenting here, though. We people wouldn't be suggesting longer, fuller reviews if we didn't appreciate them over sparser ones like this tho >_> And using "short attention spans" as an excuse for being excessively minimal with your writing isn't really an excuse for poor organization, especially where there's that "Was this Review Well Written? Yes | No" link at the bottom of all reviews.

SteakByrnes
March 19th 2017

I stopped reading at the summary tbh

MO
March 21st 2017

heard heads will hang and was pleasantly surprised. def got a subtle gojira vibe

elliootsmeuth
March 21st 2017

Actually pretty interested in this.

T5Cx
March 22nd 2017

Production on this is incredible

Digging: Conway - Reject II

SteveOffProbation
March 22nd 2017

actually not even close lmao

studio production is what keeps these guys from sounding halfways decent

T5Cx
March 22nd 2017

Completely disagree but ok if you say so