Blanck Mass
World Eater

by Dean Morgan CONTRIBUTOR (13 Reviews)
March 4th, 2017 | 52 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: World Eater takes the listener on a captivating tour of the ugly, beautiful worlds it consumes.

Blanck Mass’s 2015 album Dumb Flesh offered a masterful synthesis of content and presentation, its title and cover cryptically yet accurately representing the music contained within it. Dumb Flesh was, as Sputnikmusic’s own Eli K. put it, “the aural equivalent to all of those trashy club scenes you saw in ’90s movies…With sweat and flesh roiling about, bodies glide by one another in a haphazard fashion while dim lights flash around a grimy dance floor.” Yet the longer the album went on, the more that image dissolved and became abstract. Accordingly, the cover of Dumb Flesh was a portrait of human flesh twisting and interweaving in much the same way it might in a crowded, steamy dance club, but detached from any context that might establish which parts of whose bodies were on display.

Blanck Mass’s third album, World Eater, solidifies this approach as Benjamin John Power’s modus operandi. True to the album’s title and the ravenous maw on its cover, each of the tracks on World Eater paints a picture of a world--just vivid enough to be familiar--and then devours it, leaving a fascinatingly mangled version of its original form. “Rhesus Negative” is a frenetic chase scene through dirty cyberpunk streets, except when juxtaposed with a melody that twinkles and then soars, tearing the pounding rhythms away from their familiar element and into a much more surreal dimension. “Please” begins as a subdued scattering of keyboard notes like raindrops in a forest, but then it starts hailing shattered fragments of triumphant, soulful EDM. “Minnesota / Eas Fors / Naked” erupts as a cacophony of field recordings, including everything from a waterfall to drums being thrown down the stairs, before dissolving into an ambient drone of synthesizers, and then finally settling on a muted vaporwave loop. Then there’s standout track “Silent Treatment,” which eviscerates a choir and combines the shredded pieces with thumping drums and sweeping harp to create a sort of ersatz orchestra. The end result is magnificent, a captivating journey through a broken yet gorgeous realm. And really, that sentence could easily sum up World Eater at its best. The worlds that the album explores and then consumes are often beautiful and sometimes compellingly ugly, but in the last fading moments of “Hive Mind,” the listener is left grateful for the opportunity to bear witness to such an engrossing meal.

Neil Cicierega Mouth MoodsDrei Affen Drei Affen
Show Me A Dinosaur Show Me A Dinosaurclipping. Splendor and Misery
Numenorean HomeInter Arma Paradise Gallows

hesperus
March 4th 2017

Wooo first review as a contributor

Rating might be slightly inflated because "Silent Treatment" is just that damn good

zaruyache
March 4th 2017

second track sounds like something from a thriller or weird scifi flick. I definitely get the club vibe too, though. o_o diggin it.

Arcade
March 4th 2017

was gonna review this but this looks fine, good job user hesperus

this is a pretty fair improvement over their last one which was pretty close to the wrong side of listenable iirc

Digging: Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me

Storm In A Teacup
March 4th 2017

this album reminded me of and made me revisit my songs I recorded in 2012-15 and inspired me into reproducing all of them two nights ago.

Sinternet

album rules so far

great review btw

Digging: Blonde Redhead - Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons

rabidfish
March 4th 2017

I wish it was more like dumb flesh but I guess this is alright too.

Nice rev.

Digging: Kid Loco - A Grand Love Story

LordePots
March 4th 2017

i didnt know this guy was from fuck buttons til just now, hated his last album but knowing this im inclined to give him another try

Digging: Teengirl Fantasy - 7 AM

rabidfish
March 4th 2017

it's pretty different from his last, so u might dig?

LordePots

will try

JamieTwort
March 4th 2017

This is great, as expected (after hearing the first single and last year's Adult Swim single). Feels like a grower too.

Digging: Oh No - Ultimate Breaks & Beats

Essence
March 7th 2017

ya this is pretty good, esp. digging the last track

VirtualBlaze
March 8th 2017

I need to relisten to Dumb Flesh since I liked this so much.

Digging: Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

NOTINTHEFACE
March 9th 2017

Incredible album. Will probably make top 20 AOTY 2017 for me tbh.

anatelier
March 9th 2017

my fave of the year thus far

Digging: KU - Ganja

FullOfSounds

Need this

Digging: Bebe Rexha - I Don't Wanna Grow Up

Heard this is good

Digging: Heather B. - Takin' Mine

BlazinBlitzer
March 9th 2017

I thought yall were hyping overrated electronic beep boops, but boy was I wrong. Consistency and pacing on this album are spot on. Love the album cover, too.

Mort.
March 10th 2017

how is this so frantic yet so boring?

Digging: Combatwoundedveteran - I Know A Girl Who Develops Crime Scene Photos

KingOzma

Album is absurdly brilliant

Are Fuck Buttons still a thing?

JamieTwort
March 10th 2017

"how is this so frantic yet so boring?"

I hope you're not expecting an answer seeing as very few people share your opinion.