Iglooghost
Chinese Nü Yr

by Astral Abortis CONTRIBUTOR (32 Reviews)
March 1st, 2017 | 20 replies

Release Date: 10/30/2015 | Tracklist

Chinese Nü Yr is a trainwreck, its visual aesthetic is a tired and ugly plasterboard of vomitous, childish imagery. The conceptual themes behind Seamus Malliagh/Iglooghost’s music are about as flaccid and unappealing as the visuals promise, so much so that they don’t even deserve a moment’s notice in relation to what is the only saving grace of this unfortunately-named EP: the music.

And it’s in that spirit that the final nail in the coffin for Chinese Nü Yr is a depressing detriment to what could be something truly wonderful: it’s too short.

Despite all of the conceptual, visual and general aesthetics of Iglooghost’s 16-minute EP, the music is a delightful tapestry of colourful plunderphonic ambiance, sampled glitch beats and hip-hop rhythms that roll through multiple vicissitudes over a fleeting and sporadic runtime. It’s a difficult notion to dislike something as musically complex but simultaneously engaging as this, the sugary melodies are a pure joy to absorb as it layers in pitch-shifted voices through ambient bridges and heavily detailed beats.

Opening track ‘Xiangjiao’ is a fast-paced and short-lived run through these initial styles. ‘Mametchi / Usohachi’ is a bit more deliberate in its tone, with Malliagh’s nostalgic-sounding samples feeling like Daniel Lopatin meeting hip-hop with a rap verse by Mr. Yote in its final moments. ‘Gold Coat’ is the album’s high point with a repetitious vocal harmony rising and falling with the music’s writhing, wiggling and molasses-like structure, a style that just begs to be explored more as it demonstrates the album’s most addictive and diverse qualities, as well as the greatest strengths of Malliagh’s songwriting. ‘Peach Rift’ closes out the EP with the bulk of its runtime, which is more or less a culmination of all facets of the previous tracks, and ends with a conclusive tie-in to the opening tracks first few seconds.

Though Chinese Nü Yr explores such dynamism and rich musical patchwork, it leaves the listener wanting, and unfulfilled. Such carefully constructed music begs for a larger platform, a bigger, fuller voice. And through this, its greatest quality becomes its greatest flaw, as not even the beautiful music can rally enough enthusiasm and energy for this to be anything more than a promising footnote in your music library, or Iglooghost’s discography.

Mount Eerie A Crow Looked At MeDeath Scream Bloody Gore
Gorephilia Severed MonolithSun Kil Moon Common As Light and Love Are Red Valleys of Blood
Marching Church Telling It Like It IsCultes Des Ghoules Coven

1903 Comments

For fripp's review list thing

well that was quick

nice review, though I'd say it doesn't exactly read like a 3, and now I'm glad this does have a review/thread now.

March 1st 2017

Oh and don't worry, a full album IS in the works, and if I'm judging by his twitter updates, it isn't too far off.

1903 Comments

Might bump to a 3.5. I really do love the music but it's just too short and too easy to make yourself sick on that its replay value is incredibly lacking -- which is why the rating is a bit low. Because I base my enjoyment on the value through frequent listening. I don't see this really affecting me on a large level outside of just being something really quite lovely I could put on a party or something.

1903 Comments

A full-length exploring these styles and more would definitely be something I'd check out.

March 1st 2017

I see where your coming from, though for me I feel the insanely colorful production/textures and sticky melodies on a couple of these tracks definitely kept me coming back to this. Mamatechi got stuck in my head HARD.

I definitely wanna go to whatever party you go to where this could be standard playing. A lot of people that I've shown this too were weirded out by it on first listen.

1903 Comments

Really? This sounds like something that could go pretty well at a party to me. I'm having a party in a couple of weeks so I'll play a couple of tracks from this and let you know how it goes.

March 1st 2017

I guess you just go to cooler parties than me. Though after the initial shock, a lot of people I've shown did say they dug it in the end.

Dewinged
March 1st 2017

Jesus christ that was fast man.

Nice write-up.

Digging: Moon Hooch - The Joshua Tree

cavalrycaptain
March 1st 2017

Never really got into this, maybe I'll give it another chance.

Digging: Gorillaz - Humanz

Divaman
March 1st 2017

I actually kind of like that album cover.

Calc
March 1st 2017

a new album from this guy would be grrrreeeeatt.......

Digging: GoldLink - At What Cost

Conmaniac
March 1st 2017

solid review man. not sure why you split up the second paragraph to be a standalone sentence as it would probably have the same effect as a concluding sentence in the intro. that might just be personal preference though for how the review ~looks~

anyways this EP is super solid altho I agree it's way too short.

Digging: Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me

UndineParty
March 1st 2017

Some what solid but childish in execution

Conmaniac
March 1st 2017

also I haven't played this at a party but I did play it for some friends in a car once and got some strange looks altho one guy did love it. depends on the crowd I guess

UndineParty
March 1st 2017

You could play this at a daycare and have a diaper party, I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

musicallychallenged
March 1st 2017

"Chinese Nü Yr is a trainwreck, its visual aesthetic is a tired and ugly plasterboard of vomitous, childish imagery. The conceptual themes behind Seamus Malliagh/Iglooghost’s music are about as flaccid and unappealing as the visuals promise"

lrn2art

good review though.

also igloo retweeted this: https://twitter.com/flyinglotus/status/824300099798863872

Digging: Charli XCX - Number 1 Angel

LordePots
March 1st 2017

Snox reviewing iglooghost? Wtf??

Digging: Frederic Robinson - Flea Waltz