xHendrix
xhendrix I

by oscillat3w USER (2 Reviews)
February 16th, 2017 | 10 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: What would've happened if Hendrix played in a powerviolence band? I don't have the answer to that but i like to think it would be close to this.

Experimentation with the fusion of two or more ingredients tends to have good and bad results. Pretzels covered in chocolate, chicken and waffles, honey mustard, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are all good examples of the results being great, if not better than the individual ingredients.

That can be translated not only to food but also, like in our case, to music. Xhendrix provides an interesting combination: the rocking grooviness of psychedelic rock and the hard-hitting velocity of powerviolence. Maybe it doesn't sound good on paper and it's not reinventing the wheel but the actual result is a mind-altering rollercoaster ride that will keep you wanting more and more with each listen.

xhendrix I is the debut released by this power trio from Tijuana, Mexico. Clocking around 21 minutes, it offers 7 songs:

“El tiempo y el cangrejo” starts with a slow riff from the bass, joined by drums that build up until the wailing guitar breaks into a rocking groove, introducing the frenetic characteristics of hardcore and powerviolence.

“La raza obsoleta” offers a vicious fuzzy guitar that i’m sure Hendrix would’ve loved . The song transition from rocking grooves and spastic crazyness to some wailing from the guitar with the wah wah pedal before going back at full speed .

“No abras los ojos” begins with a slow and muddy bass riff until the vocalist starts screaming and the guitars join the hypnotic march of the drums, enhancing the psychedelic experience to the rocking groove. All of this breaks into escalating snare hits that explode in conjuction with the bass and the guitar.

“Sin titulo I” offers one of the two instrumental jams from this record. The heavyness and psychodelic get mixed with blues inspired guitars.

“Lluvias” has to be one of my favorites, and is also the catchiest song from this reléase .Rapid drumming, fast guitars , pummeling bass and in your face vocals that transition into a rocking jam that showcases some simple but effective lead.

“Crybaby” features a simple but super catchy drum beat interchangingly hitting the snare and the hi hat in the middle of the song and the use of wah wah effect at the start are highlights for me.

“67” is the second instrumental and final song from this release. It’s a heavy psychodelic rock infused jam until the drum gets faster and more metallic to close the EP.

Although sometimes the variation between the rapid and groovey parts can be dull . Xhendrix present an EP debut that shows a mix between the psychelick rock from the 70's and the hardcore punk with some interesting results.

February 16th 2017

That summary is enticing.

In terms of the review, track by tracks are generally frowned upon here, not very professional, not the most enjoyable thing to read etc. Additionally, stuff like the band make up and band camp link are stuff you'd want to put in the comments section rather than the review (again, just more professional). The final para is arguably a little to casual, unsubstantial and anecdotal. First 2 paras are great though. Another small thing: capitalise your i's, just grammar. Hope that doesn't come across too nitpicky, just figured I'd give you some pointers if you're interested.

February 16th 2017

Also, pretty cool album, may bump after a few more listens

owen

nice name

Digging: Show Me The Body - Corpus I

oscillat3w
February 16th 2017

That summary is enticing.

Thanks a lot! i'll keep them in mind for the next reviews. It's my second review and i still have difficulties in translating what i want to express in English.

February 16th 2017

no worries man, its very impressive considering English isn't your first language, so good job

accompliceofmydeath
February 16th 2017

7 song in 21 minutes? Not PV.

Digging: Leeway - Born to Expire

Mort.
February 16th 2017

this sounds really cool, will give it a check

Digging: Combatwoundedveteran - I Know A Girl Who Develops Crime Scene Photos

February 16th 2017

I could see you digging this Mort

72haha72
February 16th 2017

They're a really unique band. Rene is one of the most talented guitar players I've seen live. They are also really, really nice people.

72haha72
February 16th 2017

It's very nice to see fellow Mexican bands getting well-deserved attention here in sputnikmusic.