xHendrix
xhendrix I

by oscillat3w USER (3 Reviews)
February 16th, 2017 | 10 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: What would've happened if Hendrix played in a hardcore band? I don't have the answer to that but i like to think it would be close to this.

Experimentation with the fusion of two or more ingredients tends to have good and bad results. Pretzels covered in chocolate, chicken and waffles, honey mustard, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are all good examples of the results being great, if not better than the individual ingredients.

That can be translated not only to food but also, like in our case, to music. Xhendrix provides an interesting combination: the rocking grooviness of psychedelic rock and the hard-hitting velocity of powerviolence. Maybe it doesn't sound good on paper and it's not reinventing the wheel but the actual result is a mind-altering rollercoaster ride that will keep you wanting more and more with each listen.

xhendrix I is the debut EP released by this power trio from Tijuana, Mexico. Clocking around 21 minutes that present a good transition of hardcore/70’s psychedelic rock in 7 tracks , Xhendrix proves to be more than just a play on words to grab your attention. This is demonstrated by keeping their songs short and shifting gears between them, always having a spot for the blues inspired solos just before going back to the noisy and vicious crazyness , courtesy of their metal and powerviolence influences . Featuring two instrumentals jams songs, in the middle and the end of the EP, they ilustrates their love for 70’s rock while infusing more metallic and hardcore influences and keeping variety in this material. Along with the technicality that each member has with their instrument, the shouted vocals have that intensity and emotion that characterize the hardcore genre

Xhendrix pulls a promising debut with this EP that certainly will please fans of hardcore, stoner, psychedelic rock and metal in general. Although sometimes the variation between the rapid and groovey parts can be dull , this particular sound that they créate makes us keep an eye on them in the foreseeable future.

recommended by reviewer
Moxiebeat EP

February 16th 2017

That summary is enticing.

In terms of the review, track by tracks are generally frowned upon here, not very professional, not the most enjoyable thing to read etc. Additionally, stuff like the band make up and band camp link are stuff you'd want to put in the comments section rather than the review (again, just more professional). The final para is arguably a little to casual, unsubstantial and anecdotal. First 2 paras are great though. Another small thing: capitalise your i's, just grammar. Hope that doesn't come across too nitpicky, just figured I'd give you some pointers if you're interested.

February 16th 2017

Also, pretty cool album, may bump after a few more listens

owen

nice name

Digging: Yazz Ahmed - La Saboteuse

oscillat3w
February 16th 2017

That summary is enticing.

Thanks a lot! i'll keep them in mind for the next reviews. It's my second review and i still have difficulties in translating what i want to express in English.

Digging: Pg. 99 - Document #7

February 16th 2017

no worries man, its very impressive considering English isn't your first language, so good job

accompliceofmydeath
February 16th 2017

7 song in 21 minutes? Not PV.

Digging: Every Time I Die - Hot Damn!

Mort.
February 16th 2017

this sounds really cool, will give it a check

Digging: algae bloom - I am still scared of living

February 16th 2017

I could see you digging this Mort

72haha72
February 16th 2017

They're a really unique band. Rene is one of the most talented guitar players I've seen live. They are also really, really nice people.

72haha72
February 16th 2017

It's very nice to see fellow Mexican bands getting well-deserved attention here in sputnikmusic.