Porter Robinson
Spitfire

by Nat USER (11 Reviews)
February 14th, 2017 | 8 replies

Review Summary: Danceable, soulful and strong - everything the EDM scene could do with more of.

Even before he was creating imaginary anime-lite worlds in our headphones, Porter Robinson sought to bring something original to the electronic music scene. While his early releases might have been drenched in the aggressive electro-house sound made popular by pre-fame Zedd, Lazy Rich and Wolfgang Gartner, Robinson did his very best to add his own slant to everything; there was always a thoughtful and melodic edge that made his tracks somewhat recognisable. His 2011 EP Spitfire continued very much in this tradition, offering identifiably Robinson takes on various EDM subsets including electro house, dubstep, moombahton and trance. Admittedly, all of the styles on this EP had been pioneered and perfected long before its release, but it almost feels as if Robinson’s main purpose here was to showcase his own sound through the medium of all these different styles, as opposed to making distinctly dubstep, trance or anything else. Hence why some of the tracks seem to blend styles together: the four-on-the-floor second drop of “Spitfire”, for example, or the excellent fusion of electro house and trance on “The Seconds”.

Very little of this EP feels forced or present for its own sake; there seems to be meaning behind every pluck, growl and riser. The off-setting of action-packed drops with melodic sections is nothing new to EDM, but here it almost feels like Robinson built the drops around the melodies, rather than the other way around. Even the one track with no melody whatsoever, “100% in the Bi***”, comes across as intentional enough with its crushing moombah drops and humorous sampled vocals from YouTube’s Namasensei. The five remixes that follow the main tracks aren’t hugely essential to the EP, and often appear to sacrifice musicality for excitement, but if the idea of hearing these songs reinterpreted differently appeals to you, then you may find something to enjoy in them.

If you’re already of the belief that EDM is all vacuous party music with nothing to offer, then this may not be the record to change your mind. It's true that Spitfire does contain a lot of dance tropes rolled into one – bass drops, trance-y breakdowns and insistent 4x4 kicks among others. But there’s a personality, a charm about this EP that can’t be denied. Maybe it doesn’t have as much mass appeal as Worlds, but we all know it’s not really supposed to. Robinson’s aim here was to write a good, original dance record, and it’s safe to say he smashed it.

White Noise Owl Until We Meet AgainEvans Blue Letters from the Dead
Demon Hunter Demon HunterPressure 4-5 Burning The Process
Edgewater South Of SidewaysLo-Pro Lo-Pro

Worlds

Aberf
February 14th 2017

Pretty good review.. I haven't checked any other of his works aside of Worlds. Will I find something as good as the likes of Sad Machine, Divinity, Shelter, or Lionhearted here?

Digging: Various Artists (Shoegaze) - Mikgazer vol.1

Sinternet
February 14th 2017

Good review for a good little ep, remixes aren't that great though

Aberf nothing here is as good as worlds but his best track is his collab easy with mat zo which is on mat zo's 2013 album so check that if you havent

Digging: Blonde Redhead - Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons

danielito19
February 14th 2017

Heard a lot about this guy from /r/edmproduction, are his compositions interesting or is he just one of those guys that can mix like a madman and have expensive sounding elementary melodies

parksungjoon

keep taking that motherfucking thing until you get 100% in the bitch

Sinternet
February 14th 2017

daniel his composition is pretty top notch, one of the few people who uses vocal chops in a tasteful way

parksungjoon

hey all i know is if u sample bumnumba1 ur cool in my book

danielito19
February 14th 2017

I don't think I've heard anything he's done, but I remember enjoying Madeon's Adventure which everyone said ripped off Porter Robinson hard. I'll have to check this out

Aberf
February 14th 2017

Will check this sooner or later.