Serenity in Murder
The Eclipse

by Kenneth E. Rathburn USER (98 Reviews)
February 13th, 2017 | 33 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Serenity in Murder take the wheel and let us, their passengers, savor the familiar-yet-scenic environments along the way.

Japan isn’t exactly known for its booming heavy metal scene. While X Japan and Dir En Gray have enjoyed their share of acclaim, the country’s biggest metal export has been an idol group that many would rather not acknowledge. Despite outward appearances, Japan isn’t without other bands of note, especially when taking Serenity in Murder into account. The female-fronted quintet is fairly new to the scene, having formed in 2009, and are just now releasing The Eclipse, their third studio LP. Much of the album’s inherent charm comes not only from the fact that it’s a solid slab of symphonic/melodic death metal, but also because it does a damn fine job disguising the band’s lineage, despite what the cover art essentially gives away.

The Eclipse’s exact formula isn’t far from what an established melodic death metal band would craft if they collaborated with Two Steps from Hell; for example, “The Revelation” features choir vocals similar to those found throughout Archangel. There’s even a touch or two of Dutch influence (think Epica) to find. Upbeat, occasionally rapid-fire drumbeats complement the many flavorful guitar riffs and solos, usually followed by (or following) respites that bring a breeze of natural-through-electronic ambience. Clips of waves crashing and caressing a nearby shore are frequently used to close out certain tracks, as if to contribute a gentle touch to the music. All of this is rounded out with vocalist Emi Akatsu’s convincing--albeit one dimensional--growls. The combined effect is a smooth sound with a faint edge, thanks to the album mixing, which emphasizes Akatsu’s vocals until guitarists Freddy and Ryuji seek to take over with style and substance.

Synthesizers also play a heavy role, something the album immediately establishes on a cinematic level as opener “Earthrise” yields to “A Torch for Avengers." From there it’s an almost unrelenting supply of epic, grandiose tracks, with “Genesis” serving as an early interlude, and the title track serving as a rousing conclusion. In many ways, each song is like a scene from a summer action blockbuster, the kind that wows with its spectacular effects and sublime scenery. Unlike other, similarly symphonic affairs, however, The Eclipse abstains from lengthy tracks, opting to dole out its extravagances in three-to-four-minute intervals. This stake in brevity is further reinforced by the album’s forgiving 40-minute runtime. As a result, The Eclipse gracefully avoids feeling like a burden that drags its listener through passage after passage for the sake of indulgence.

What Serenity in Murder have brought us with The Eclipse is an album that, despite its familiar adherence to melodic death metal, manages to be refreshing in how it implements its other elements. To say the album has a lot going on is a definite understatement, so the fact that everything is combined so concisely makes The Eclipse feel as comfortable as it is intriguing. Much like the recurring sound of waves pushing against sandy shores, The Eclipse is serene, inviting and hits with just enough strength to keep us engaged for many listens.

Katatonia The Fall of HeartsKatatonia Dead End Kings
Katatonia Night Is the New DayKatatonia The Great Cold Distance
Katatonia Viva EmptinessKatatonia Last Fair Deal Gone Down

February 13th 2017

Brief album, brief review. YouTube once again surprises me with its recommendations. This came up while I was listening to the new Mors Principium Est. I dug the album art, gave it a go and found myself liking quite a bit. Actual rating is probably closer to a 3.8.

necropig
February 13th 2017

Heard a preview track which was ok, didn't know full release was so soon

Digging: Messiah - Rotten Perish

Sinternet
February 13th 2017

'Japan isn’t exactly known for having booming heavy metal scene.'

idk i think the metal scene in japan is sizeable enough

Digging: Beat Connection - The Palace Garden

February 13th 2017

Compared to other countries?

zaruyache

stream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz_Zc-8ebpc

Digging: Bing and Ruth - Tomorrow Was The Golden Age

February 13th 2017

Thanks zaruyache, posting the link completely skipped my mind.

February 13th 2017

never heard of this band, sounds like my cup of tea though. will check

good review too

Digging: Darkest Hour - Godless Prophets and The Migrant Flora

Ebola
February 13th 2017

This sounds right up my alley, but goddamn is that a terrible band new.

Solid review, pos

“Earthrise” yields to “A Torch for Avengers".

put the period inside the quotes

Digging: Jeff Rosenstock - Worry.

February 13th 2017

Thanks for the catch, Ebola.

"is that a terrible band new." Guessing you meant band name? If so, I kind of agree. It'd at least work better for an album name. Either way, it's a fun listen, definitely the easiest 2017 album for me to come back to so far.

Ebola
February 13th 2017

I did mean band name. No earthly idea how I ended up with "new."

Will definitely check this out asap

Hellscythe
February 14th 2017

read review, checked out, bought.

pos.

Digging: Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

loving this so far

early AOTY contender

frozencarl
February 14th 2017

their last album was really dope, need to give this one a few more spins though

Digging: Mors Principium Est - Embers of a Dying World

February 14th 2017

Well well well, thanks for the feature!

ZippaThaRippa

A little overly sweet but palatable nonetheless

Durrzo
February 14th 2017

I like these guys, but I do wish the vocalist added a bit more range to her voice. Monotonous vocals are always a bummer imo.

Digging: Darkest Hour - Godless Prophets and The Migrant Flora

DarkNoctus

A little overly sweet but palatable nonetheless

yeah i think this assessment is bang on

enjoyable when playing though

humandoorstop
February 14th 2017

What do you mean when you say that much of "the album's inherent charm" comes from the fact that it does "a damn fine job disguising the band's lineage"? Do you think bands disguising their lineage is inherently charming? If so, why?

February 14th 2017

@humandoorstop: The "charm" is a sense of admiration in the fact they're able to pull off a fairly traditional symphonic/melodic death metal sound. Before I looked the band up, I just assumed they were European, so when I learned they were Japanese I was very much surprised. I think there's something to be said about a band that goes for a style that one wouldn't normally associate with their lineage, so the fact they can pull that off so convincingly without sounding forced is, for lack of a better word, charming. It's kind of like Kamelot; they sound European to me, and yet they hail from Florida (represent). That, to me, is charming.