Rude
Remnants...

by Jacquibim STAFF
January 27th, 2017 | 31 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Occult-ish stuff, witch hunts, death, rebirth, blah blah. Typical stuff. It isn’t very deep." - Dude from Rude

For some reason, I’ve taken a real liking to Rude’s moniker; it’s just refreshingly to the point. These guys have no regard for shoehorned “necro” prefixes, “goat-this”, “Satanique-that” or any butchered Latin song titles – that would just be distracting. The band’s sophomore album, Remnants… echoes this apparent disdain for bullshit more plainly than anything else. Though it’s not exactly simple – as there’s a fair bit going on here – Remnants… oozes a sort of blunt charisma, in that the band appear serious about what they’re doing but retain that predilection for cartoonish silliness that old school death metal is renowned for.

Launching off the marks with zeal, opener “Torrent of the Past” ticks all the throwback OSDM boxes: Guitar work in the vein of Consuming Impulse; high-octane drum patterns; deranged, Martin van Drunen-esque vocals; thick, crunchy, analogue-sounding production and palpable atmosphere. There’s something off about the whole thing, inviting you to delve where you probably shouldn’t – like a white family in a haunted house. As if the songs were barely-sentient, undead monstrosities, their parts occasionally seem to stagger out of tandem with each other, and the songs begin to lurch and fumble in a way that is menacing yet fun to hear in equal measure. Even the closer, “Children of Atom”, has a kitsch little synth line that purposely clashes with instrumentation, yet in the context of Remnants… sounds as if it wouldn’t belong anywhere else.

No matter where you happen to find yourself throughout the course of Remnants…’, you’re never too far from a moment worth savouring. The maniacal guitar solo on “Blood Sucker”, though not unexpected, is still hair-raising in all its snarling fervour. On the opposite end of the spectrum are the downcast and somewhat jangly chords that open the title-track, acting as an ominous portend of arguably the most violent assault on the whole album. Crucially, the album’s peaks aren’t to the detriment of the content that separates them; each riff is but an integral stepping stone in an otherwise hectic journey, rendering every token of brilliance sweeter still.

Volcanic Queen Innocence of Those Who PerishedDark Tranquillity Atoma
Ulcerate Shrines of ParalysisPredatory Light Predatory Light
Mare Cognitum Luminiferous AetherBlood Incantation Starspawn

Jacquibim
January 27th 2017

Not a lot to say about this other than it's rly gud, check it out here: https://fda-records.bandcamp.com/album/remnants

Birb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odzXm2KT7ew

Deschutes

Album fucking rips.

Digging: Blasphemer (UK) - Blasphemer

emester
January 27th 2017

Looks cool, I'll give it a go.

Summary made me chuckle a good bit

Digging: Sleepwalker (JPN) - 5772

Voivod
January 27th 2017

I liked their previous album, in particular I enjoyed the old school sound production, will definitely check this one as well.

On another note, band logo has lost the inverted cross segment it had on the debut, I can't seem to remember the other band that did a similar thing....... :-P

Digging: Inhumatus - Terran Genocide

Flugmorph

Digging: Kuroki Nagisa - Hyouhon Bako

OvDeath
January 27th 2017

band rulz yea mor epest worship forever

Jac's handing out those 3.5's like candy

3.5'd a dxc album

Have the blasts finally found a way into his cold, elitist heart?

Digging: Riviere - Heal

Archelirion

Mindpos'd for 'predilection'

I'm probably going to fucking love this

(Also thanks for the daily birb dose :3)

ZippaThaRippa
January 27th 2017

This Drunens incredibly hard. Almost as Drunen as Drunen himself.

Alastor
January 27th 2017

Such a classic artwork, haha. Necrolord even used the Everflowing Stream font again.

UndineParty

sounds good so far

will check

JasonCarne

Seagrave, not Necrolord.

ZippaThaRippa

Carne'd

January 27th 2017

Fuckin new it was Seagrave, no wonder I was so attracted to it lol

Digging: Madonna - Ray of Light

Alastor
January 28th 2017

oh damn, right. I get those two confused all the time.

January 28th 2017

1922 Comments

What do we have here

Hawks

Def gonna jam this.

Digging: Wiegedood - De Doden Hebben het Goed II

January 29th 2017

It's not bad, but don't expect anything special

TheMagicalBlender
January 29th 2017

Jesus Christ I finished it about an hour ago and it's so fucking good. Let's get that average up guys. Destined to be one of my favorites of the year. Wasn't expect much from a band called 'Rude'.

January 29th 2017

January ain't even over yet tho my man