Drei Affen
Drei Affen

by Dean Morgan CONTRIBUTOR (16 Reviews)
January 14th, 2017 | 82 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Drei Affen gritan como loco.

God, I’ve missed screamo. Somewhere around 2013, the genre took a sharp dive in output, being simultaneously subsumed into the blackgaze trend and replaced by a revival of sad 90s emo a la American Football, and the few stragglers that remained haven’t been nearly prolific or consistent enough to sustain the genre. And it’s not like Oathbreaker and The World Is a Beautiful Place… aren’t excellent. But there’s a specific kind of catharsis that only bands like Off Minor and Pg. 99 can provide, a frantic blend of anger and desperation of which the last few years have been sadly bereft.

Enter Drei Affen.

The self-titled debut EP from Spanish newcomer Drei Affen is the exact cocktail of adrenaline and raw emotion that I’ve been missing for almost half a decade. Drei Affen combines everything great about the more frenetic side of screamo into a tight, 20-minute package: chaotic pounding of drums, frenzied attacks of emotional guitar chords, and, in Drei Affen’s own (translated) words, “scream[ing] like crazy.” The sound is most readily comparable to Orchid, with moments that hearken back to the version of Envy that people actually gave a shit about. In short, Drei Affen is angry, desperate, and cathartic in the way that only a screamo record can be. I can only hope that its modest success will spark a revitalization of the genre, but if not, at least we'll have one more reminder of why screamo once flourished.

ostraca lastThe Amazons The Amazons
PWR BTTM PageantBlanck Mass World Eater
Neil Cicierega Mouth MoodsShow Me A Dinosaur Show Me A Dinosaur

January 14th 2017

I figured this needed a full review since it nabbed a spot on the Users' Top 10 EPs list.

You can get the EP for free on their Bandcamp: https://dreiaffen.bandcamp.com/album/drei-affen-3

Conmaniac
January 14th 2017

cool review. gonna give this another shot for sure

Digging: Pretend - Circular Rsoning

ScuroFantasma
January 14th 2017

Nice little review, though I take issue with saying blackgaze absorbed Screamo cuz that's not what blackgaze is. Oathbreaker aren't indicative of the genre, they've got a lot of stuff swirling around in their sound.

But anyway, well written. This album is cool, though the band confuse me with their name and lyrics haha, where are they actually from?

Digging: Mistigo Varggoth Darkestra - The Key to the Gates of the Apocalypse

brainmelter

yessssss

Digging: Materic - Between Stone Slabs

January 14th 2017

I mean, I know the screamo elements don't define blackgaze, but they've certainly been used by a fair amount of blackgaze artists since 2013. Deafheaven was the example I was originally going to use in the review, and I'd put Bosse-de-Nage in that category as well.

January 14th 2017

And the band is from Spain. Not sure what's up with the German name.

ScuroFantasma

Fair enough I guess.

And okay, I dig the name.

Artuma
January 14th 2017

come on guys it's not like this is the only good screamo album released in the last few years

Digging: City of Caterpillar - Driving Spain Up A Wall

YakNips
January 14th 2017

yeah i really don't like this review lol

check the osoluna album it's a bit better

AsleepInTheBack
January 14th 2017

Fucking love this album. Just picked it up on vinyl, great to have the translations of the lyrics

BlushfulHippocrene
January 14th 2017

I'm ignorant of the genre, but this a good shorter review.

Digging: Wicca Phase Springs Eternal - Raw and Declawed

AsleepInTheBack
January 14th 2017

I agree with the line of argument here that this is good screamo and is full of passion like the classics, but yeah as people have said its untenable to argue there has been no good screamo recently; sure it isn't the heyday of the genre but there is lots of good stuff out there (see yaks screamo bible list)

YakNips
January 14th 2017

take out the first paragraph and this review is fine actually

FullOfSounds
January 14th 2017

I love you for writing this

ZippaThaRippa

mediocre review, Stephen Universe sucks

FullOfSounds
January 14th 2017

Always gotta for the low blows huh

January 14th 2017

Alright, I guess I'll pull my punches a bit and admit that I clearly don't spend much time researching underground music to see what's out there. But that's kinda my point. Sure, screamo might have been out there for the past few years, but is any of it making waves? Is it earning spots on year end lists like it used to (and like Drei Affen did)? If I have to dig through the screamo tag on Bandcamp to find the good stuff (or rely on long lists that don't end up getting the recent acts any sort of attention) then I stand by my argument that the genre's not exactly healthy.

ZippaThaRippa
January 14th 2017

It's harder to make waves, the ocean is bigger these days
Doesn't make the music worse, just makes it harder to find.
I haven't heard any good _____ lately =/= _____ No longer exists

Artuma
January 14th 2017

we could be hyping the shit out of bands like ostraca and coma regalia like fos did with this and they might as well earn some spots on the year-end lists. this is indeed one of the better skramz releases in a while but i don't think they're exactly more popular outside of sput than either of the bands i mentioned earlier. the genre is stagnating and i'm afraid this band isn't making any difference to that

p4p

1939 Comments

the last good screamo record are Distance/Closure and Flores, Carne and that was like two years ago. this is pretty average tbh.