Black Malachite
Void

by Alex Dansereau CONTRIBUTOR (32 Reviews)
January 10th, 2017 | 107 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The sound of gradual maturation.

A subtly ominous piano melody, accompanied by the distant sound of electronic beeps and blips, slowly lulls the listener into a melancholy trance. After a brief pause, soaring orchestral strings lift one’s spirit, before coming crashing down into more ominous synths and a thumping drum machine. In this way, “The Taker” is a perfect encapsulation of much of the music that is to follow on Black Malachite’s debut full-length Void. This is an album devoted to capturing a mood somewhere between relaxation and creeping dread, and it achieves this through the use of unusual, frequently surprising musical shifts within the context of a relatively consistent sonic palate.

In his previous project My Tears, Your Weapon, Southern California producer Dalton DuBois frequently attempted to jar the listener, such as on the On the Edge of Reason EP, which attempted to veer between electronic textures and pounding metalcore instrumentals from one track to the next. However, in the interim DuBois has learned much about the power of restraint and tonal consistency, and Void is in many ways a result of that maturation. While there is a fair amount of variation in sound from track to track, DuBois rarely ever sacrifices consistency in mood or pacing for shock value, which leads to a listening experience with much greater replay value.

Many of DuBois’ production choices give insight into his diverse genre influences throughout the album’s 11 tracks. “Noise Scars” is centered around mellow intertwining guitar licks; “Love, We Are Death” focuses on a repeating piano melody as other instrumentals fade in and out; “Intoxication by Proxy” is carried by a slow guitar melody line until the pace is quickened by upbeat syncopated drumming in the track’s final minute. Only “Cut Connections” attempts the sort of rapid-fire composition that DuBois had made a key part of his sound in previous works, and while it is engaging enough on its own, it contains perhaps the only moments in the album when one is taken out of the prevalent mood entirely. Yet for the most part, despite a few awkward musical transitions, DuBois has shown on Void that he can be quite adept at maintaining a theme throughout an entire full-length work. And in spite of all of the genre shifts and production bells and whistles that fill much of his other work, this is by far the more impressive achievement.

Deaf Havana All These Countless NightsThe Weeknd Starboy

Lol

Digging: Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Frippertronics
January 10th 2017

that moment when your friend asks you to write a positive review for your idm deathstep dubcore ambient project and he phones it in

Digging: Gottfried Huppertz - Metropolis, Op. 29

zaruyache

well

Digging: Bing and Ruth - Tomorrow Was The Golden Age

Spiritual pos

Digging: Youth In Revolt - The Broken

Lol at Fripp.

January 10th 2017

I might release a deluxe version of Void

alienobserver

i laughed

January 10th 2017

I think you should just focus on your third album for a bit, take it one thing at a time man.

Frippertronics
January 10th 2017

Dude give me the stems to void and I'll remake that fucker

for realsies :^)

January 10th 2017

@daniel: That's true, I can worry about deluxe versions later. Besides, I want to work more on a deluxe version of Distortion World anyways instead of Void now that I think about it.

DoctorSuqMadiq

owen

thanks doc

Digging: Fred Frith / Darren Johnston - Everybody?s Somebody?s Nobody

tellah
January 10th 2017

Doc his stuff isn't 3.5 for me but it isn't dreadful or anything (except for Rage)

January 10th 2017

"lmao why do people keep acting like this guy's albums don't suck total shit?"
Maybe subjectivity is a thing
Maybe some of my releases are better than my other releases
Maybe some people actually enjoy some of my releases

DoctorSuqMadiq lmao.

MyMonkeyIsGay
January 10th 2017

"Maybe some people actually enjoy some of my releases"

I pray for their soul.

sixdegrees
January 10th 2017

holding out for the deluxe edition

Digging: Shun Tanabe - Shun Tanabe

talktothehead
January 10th 2017

"lmao why do people keep acting like this guy's albums don't suck total shit? i understand being nice but god damn this kid is going to go on and think he can get a record deal or something. "

Pretty sure worst albums have been published under major labels

Digging: Smash Mouth - Astro Lounge

Tyler.
January 10th 2017

How much did he pay you do to this?