David Bowie
No Plan

by A : w.e.b. CONTRIBUTOR (93 Reviews)
January 8th, 2017 | 153 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "The end."

Coinciding with what would’ve been Bowie’s 70th birthday, No Plan is a brief, yet satisfying conclusion to the rollercoaster of emotions that listeners experienced throughout 2016 accompanied by the dire Blackstar. Comprised of four tracks, three of which were previously included exclusively on the Lazarus cast recording (the fourth being ”Lazarus”, also part of the play), No Plan is these songs’ official induction into the Bowie canon – the coda to a fifty year-plus career, the curtain call if you must.

Starting things off with last year’s ”Lazarus” is markedly both a well-placed introduction, but a questionable inclusion as well. The track’s significance to the play of the same name, as well as the album it was on, is still immeasurable although takes quite a bit of shine away from the new songs that follow it up. The first of the new trio of Bowie’s final works No Plan sets Bowie in a position that yearns for something not quite there, a song that implements the Thomas Newton character and his never ending isolation in the Lazarus play. There’s an air of resignation in Bowie’s strained vocal, but in consideration to the fact he didn’t know of his fate at the time of recording, it owes a lot to the overall mood that the Donny McCaslin band brought to the music. ”Killing A Little Time” on the other hand, sounds desperate as Bowie manages to gasp out “I’m falling, man/I’m choking, man/I’m fading, man” amidst the frantic instrumentation that add to Bowie’s increasingly despaired singing. The final song ”When I Met You” eschews the melancholy of ”No Plan” and the despair of ”Killing A Little Time” in favor of plain and simple catharsis in a four minute rock song that would be in favorable company among The Next Day’s material. Any hint of what was to come is all but distant in the way that Bowie handles his vocal, for he has never sounded more alive than on this song itself. No Plan is remarkably brief, but in its eighteen minutes manages to celebrate the man that was David Bowie, as well as give fans something more to remember him and his music by.

Max Richter Three Worlds: Music from Woolf WorksAnimal Collective The Painters
Black Malachite Black MalachiteFoxygen Hang
The Flaming Lips Oczy MlodyNico The Marble Index

January 8th 2017

I'm lost in streams of sound.

c/c appreciated

No Plan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIgdid8dsC8

Digging: Gottfried Huppertz - Metropolis, Op. 29

January 8th 2017

Where the fuck did Sunday go?

Digging: Amy Winehouse - Back to Black

it's not quite yet

danielcardoso
January 8th 2017

I love No Plan, haven't heard the other two yet tho.

they're solid songs

tbh they probably work more in the context of the play

January 8th 2017

They were bonus tracks tacked onto the soundtrack so they don't really have much else in common with the musical tho

January 8th 2017

Weren't all of them in the play though?

edit: yes they were

January 8th 2017

Oh shit my bad they were. I must not have recognized them. Even Lazarus sounds much different as a show tune

ye

January 8th 2017

the lazarus cast recording wasn't that good in the first place, so good thing they put those songs at the end

tommygun

pos

Veldin
January 8th 2017

Killing a Little Time is one of Bowie's most "intense" song. Absolutely incredible for a song written before death (and subsequently released after).

"This symphony/This rage in me/I've got a handful of songs to sing/To sting your soul/To fuck you over/This furious reign"

FullOfSounds

Nice one Fripp

Digging: Mount Eerie - No Flashlight

theBoneyKing
January 8th 2017

Gonna listen to this tomorrow, nice review

Digging: Jens Lekman - Life Will See You Now

50iL
January 8th 2017

Good review, pos. Gonna jam this in a bit

Digging: BUCK-TICK - Cosmos

BlackMalachite
January 8th 2017

Gonna listen to this. Kinda surprised me.

Digging: Youth In Revolt - The Broken

TalonsOfFire
January 8th 2017

Good review Fripp, these songs live up to Blackstar and it might've been my AOTY if they were included.

Digging: Tim Bowness - Lost in the Ghost Light

ArsMoriendi

19972 Comments

Was is dis?

Digging: Tom Waits - Franks Wild Years

January 8th 2017

"Comprised of four tracks, three of which were previously included exclusively on the Lazarus cast recording (the fourth being ”Lazarus”, also part of the play), No Plan is these songs’ official induction into the Bowie canon[..]"

read