Ruined Families
Education

by Tristan Jones STAFF
December 3rd, 2016 | 14 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: In a black box.

With Education, Greek hardcore act Ruined Families strike a killer balance of victory and collapse - the kind that probably results from a series of abstruse personal conflicts. One can imagine the financial crisis in Greece being a catalyst of frustration, but Education doesn’t really come off as a reflexive punk album. Its construction doesn’t really convey the frankness of a protest anthem; imagine the ethos of tree-sitting, but instead of waiting in the sky, you succumb to the sewers. The group’s sound is a bedlam of blackened punk, sludge, and noise rock, with addictive riffs and catchy vocal hooks throughout. There’s a ton of content in the (mostly) sub-two-minute runtimes, and, with the jagged deliveries, Ruined Families’ newest offers plenty of replay value to help sift through the muddle of broken glass and excrement.

Opener “The Future of Electronic Music” is a breakneck ebb and flow of soaring guitar work, rapid-fire drumming, piercing distortion, and pissed, gutted vocals. Tracks like “Demolition” reinforce the band’s triumphant caving-in (“I hide my face / for everyone to see”). “No Rothko” ’s instrumentation at the twenty-second mark is about as catchy as what you’d hope for from a Pity Sex tune, but soon devolves into a sound deserving of previous comparisons to Cursed. “Whole Car” is an emotive highlight, despite being the most straightforward number in terms of layout. In the midst of its disarray, Education has moments of cemented fury; closer “We Want Everything”, for example, is a mission statement of sorts. In the band’s own words: “[…]We want to construct visions of the future that are more inclusive and equal for all. Our volatile bodies act as barriers and battlefields. We may be ugly and strange, but we are determined. […]We want everything.Education doesn’t embody a band driven by specific political battles, but, rather an all-consuming war.

Won James Won ProzrachnikCurved Light Reversion
Lord of the Isles Parabolas Of NeonVolhnn Phallus Dei
Bladee and Thaiboy Digital AvPRecondite Corvus

December 3rd 2016

another hasty writeup but it's a busy time of year both exam-wise and family-wise so *shrug*. anyway this rips, so enjoy

calmrose

nice review JohnnyOnTheSpot

never heard of this band but just checked the two streaming songs on the album's bandcamp page and they rip pretty hard, definitely will give this a full spin

Digging: Make Them Suffer - Old Souls

TheSpirit
December 3rd 2016

Nice. This band is okay. I'll check this out.

Digging: Push Over - Demo

December 3rd 2016

Nice work as always mr. on the spot. Opening paragraph calls them Ruined Education though just to let you know.

Digging: Dirty Projectors - Dirty Projectors

smdh

Voivod
December 4th 2016

Heard the two tracks on bc, awesome stuff, and review is short and sweet.

I was reading an interview of the band in Metal Hammer Greece, in which the album's concept was explained.

The mutual theme that goes through every song isn't directly related to the financial crisis in Greece.

Rather, it revolves around our relationship with music and how superficial it has become in a time where peoples' attention span is constantly decreasing, also due to the soaring progress in music streaming technology which generates too much content for people to digest.

A great hardcore album that's directly related to what is happening to Greece right now, is Sarabante's Poisonous Legacy, issued this year.

Digging: Inhumatus - Terran Genocide

calmrose
December 4th 2016

this is great, definitely rips

December 4th 2016

@voivod - nice. yeah i got the impression that the scope wasn't necessarily honed in on the crisis but something broader. would've been nice if i stumbled across that specific interview prior to writing this so i could reinforce the concept a bit more but w/e

TheSpirit
December 4th 2016

I like this. Definitely better than their last album.

owen
December 5th 2016

I wouldn't say better per se, but certainly heavier and more accessible.

The previous LP sounded more dissonant and desperate

Digging: Fred Frith / Darren Johnston - Everybody?s Somebody?s Nobody

cvlts
December 5th 2016

Glad to see these guys are still around.

Don't quite remember their first album all that much but I don't remember them being this influenced by Fear Before. I dig it.

SteakByrnes

1934 Comments

Good review

This sounds good, will check later.

Digging: Born of Osiris - The Eternal Reign