The Beatles
1967 – 1970

by the_accents USER (11 Reviews)
May 30th, 2006 | 33 replies | 2,351 views

Release Date: 1973 | Tracklist

Theyve got something! From Liverpool, I hear, of all places."

They were lads from England - four mop tops who twisted, shattered and changed musical dialog forever. How can we ever forget them? We can't - and this essential collection assures people across the world that there was a time in the 1960s when music was bigger than Jesus.

Built from the ground up on songs that the Beatles created high, smashed, interpretive and Indian - George Harrison, the Blue Box is a collection of Beatle hits from 1967 to 1970. These years are considered to be the most important musical years in history - the tunes making a "Great American Songbook"-esqe catalog.

Included in the repertoire are classic tunes such as "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Penny Lane", "Day in the Life", "I Am The Walrus" and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", but what makes the two disk album so special are the songs that really bring home the Beatles - the greatest rock and roll band to ever play. These tunes include "Lady Madonna", "Hello Goodbye", "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "All You Need Is Love".

It's always hard to do a Beatle album without committing some sort of musical crime. ("You didn't include Day in the Life? You're fired ...") A plus for this collection is that John, Paul, Ringo and George sat down and picked the songs themselves. The Beatles were a group like no other - each member brought their own skills to the table. John went political, George classical, Ringo, well, he was Ringo ("You know me - I'm the one that never talks") and Paul went back to his "cup of tea" English roots. So that's why, it's only natural that they come together - pardon the pun - for a collection this definitive.

The issue with the Red Box (1962 - 1966) was sound quality. Although each song was digitally mastered, you couldn't help feel that it could have been done better. Well, the sound quality, although still an issue, isn't the problem anymore. Each song sounds as fresh and lively as if you're hearing it on some Back to the Future radio in 1967.

You'll have to look past the price tag though - it's 52 dollars up here in Canada. To me, I think that's a bit over the top, especially because that's the same price of the Beach Boys' Platinum Collection, which has three disks, holding sixty songs.

Most collections only have hits. The Blue Box has all the good stuff, and also some unique choices. It's these choices that I want people to listen to - they might not have been hits, but gosh did they spell out B-E-A-T-L-E. So I say, go ahead, by the two disk album. When you pick it up, look for these tracks; they're most than just essential Beatle tracks, they're essential rock and roll tunes:

"Lady Madonna"; a tune by Paul that's so infectious, you can't help but sing along. Catchy as the pop they made back in the early sixties, it's the best of both worlds. Experimentation includes a bouncy piano sample, which I believe was played by Paul McCartney, and different instrumental enquires, such as horns and whistles.

"Hey Jude"; a seven minute something masterpiece. They played this in a room full of hippies, and honestly, every single person was singing along. The feeling this song brings - especially the minute, with Paul screaming his lungs out - is so true to a Beatle classic. Brilliant.

"Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da"; here's the thing. You either hate this song, or you love this song. They're no "in between". My friends think it's the worst Beatle song ever, and it was even voted that by some magazine poll. I think it shows their creativity. The story goes that the melody in the song - which was originally supposed to be slow - annoyed John so much, that he marched to the piano and, in an effort to piss off Paul, played it incredibly fast. Paul liked it so much, he stuck with it.

"Octopus's Garden"; Alright, Ringo, you got one! Some say this song is too childish, I think it plays with the Beatle's philosophy of "thinking different". Catchy and really loveable, you'll be singing along.

"All You Need is Love"; If "Pepper" was an anthem for the hippie generation, than this song was the salute back. A layed back tune with a melody so mellow it's sure to infect anyone, it's John doing what he does best. Good on him.

There are so many more tunes I want to describe here, that I feel like I'm committing some sort of rock crime by not mentioning them. But it's good, actually, because you'll discover them on your own. And honestly, what better way to dive into the Beatles.

Recommended Listening (added to above tunes):

Don't Let Me Down
Let It Be

The Kinks The Ultimate CollectionEminem Straight From the Lab
Eminem EncoreEminem The Slim Shady LP
The Beatles 1962 - 1966Arctic Monkeys Who The Fuck Are Arctic Monkeys?
4.3
Bron-Yr-Aur (4.5)

May 30th 2006

Ah, alas. I was beaten to the review. All the same, good reivew. Probably better than what I would have done.

...am I seeing this right? Where is the track listing?

metallicaman8
May 30th 2006

The Beatles were innovaters in their time no doubt. But I find them to be a tad over-rated.

Seafroggys
May 30th 2006

they're still the greatest band ever....

which means they're underrated

metallicaman8
May 30th 2006

that's your opinion. Whether or not they're the greatest band ever is highly debatable

May 30th 2006

Naturally that's debatable. But if ever there were a band that a majority of the people could agree on as being the best, it must be The Beatles.

May 30th 2006

I'd have to say, 67-70 Beatles is probably the best single collection of music from any group you could ever have. If it wasnt for the mediocrity they put out early in their career, I'd say they were the greatest.

stinkypoptart
May 30th 2006

theres no such thing as a greatest band ever. No matter what there are people who say no. But the Beatles come closest.

DownPaymentBlues78
May 30th 2006

One thing with the review... you talked about the songs on it that weren't hits, but were very good. Last time I checked my 1 album (I'm not sure why my dad has that when he already had everythin from Rubber Soul on [minus Magical Mystery Tour, which I added later]), Lady Madonna, Hey Jude, and All You Need Is Love all reached #1

Hatshepsut

1997 Comments

I want a tracklisting.

STLMiguel
May 30th 2006

Can't you just look on Amazon? Is it that tough?

May 30th 2006

There's a reason it's there. The page looks strange without it, and we honestly shouldn't have to, as a tracklisting is essentially a given with any review.

stinkypoptart
May 30th 2006

how do you put the track listing there cause i got it but i cant figure it out

STLMiguel
May 30th 2006

Oh, poor guy, the page looks straaaaange.

Stinky, it is an option when you "edit your review."

Bron-Yr-Aur
May 30th 2006

Eh, I bet metallicaman is unaware of the fact taht the Beatles created arguably the first heavy metal song in "Helter Skelter". Anyway, they are most certainly deserving of all the praise they get.

May 30th 2006

Indeed. In total agreement I am.

May 30th 2006

STLMiguel, I feel that was a direct attack on my pansy-ness. I challenge you to a Beatles duel!

the_accents
May 31st 2006

I heard "Helter Skelter" inspired Charles Manson to go off on a killing spree. And people would often find "how does it feel to be one of the beautifull people" writen on the walls of his victim's. (Source: Soundsfacts) That's a line from "Baby You're A Rich Man" ... pretty wierd eh ...

Edited with the tracklisting

Yea you're right. But they're "Octopus's Garden" and "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" there as well. Maybe I should have put "SPLHCB". This Message Edited On 05.31.06

JohnXDoesn't
May 31st 2006

This is a really really good collection. I have this and the "Red" album and together I can just listen to them for hours. Hell, sometimes days. Perhaps the tightest set of compilations ever to be released.

Bron-Yr-Aur
May 31st 2006

Yeah that's true. Apparently, Manson heard hidden messages in the music that only he could hear, saying stuff like "kill", etc. He was also convinced that the Beatles were profits.

the_accents
May 31st 2006

Damn talk about a legacy ... you have Manson praising you ...