Buckethead
Oneiric Pool

by Daniel Dias CONTRIBUTOR (37 Reviews)
October 31st, 2016 | 38 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Oneiric Pool: a brief reflection on Buckethead in 2016.

In regards to this 235th Pike entry from Buckethead, the fact that he has taken an unusually-long-for-him 7-month break from releasing new material can presumably make up for a more lasting talking point than the music itself. His return to touring in late March briefly altered his manic recording pace, yet he is seemingly fully invested in adding to his monstrous collection again. But at this point in time, his suffocating string of releases amounts to little more than an exercise in indulgence and repetition. It's an inevitable hurdle for someone who decides to handle things at an impossibly demanding pace; thus, it starts being truly challenging to differentiate several Pikes from one another. They all revolve around his guitar eccentricities in some manner or another, but his sound has already become all too familiar in order to continue to impress. This being said, a big part of his recent material begs a persistent question: why does he force himself to do this? Brian Carroll could legitimately have a nice chance of producing a consistent and quality album at a more reasonable rate, if he only gave himself and his compositions some time to sink in and be worked on. But this doesn't seem to matter, or affect him. This is no ordinary man: the idea of putting out albums at this ludicrous speed and hoping to salvage any sort of consistency and originality is inconceivable, but that hasn't stopped him from carrying on doing his thing. And, if for every minimally compelling Pike there's usually about 25 or more worth of disposable content, he still has support from a small but intensely devoted fanbase. If doing this is what makes him happy, then good on him.

Death From Above Outrage! Is NowQueens of the Stone Age Villains
Chris Cornell Higher TruthAlfa Mist Antiphon
Moon Hooch The Joshua TreeRoyal Blood How Did We Get So Dark?

nice soundoff etc.

October 31st 2016

"band". lol thanks tho buddy i appreciate it.

ArsMoriendi
October 31st 2016

Why even bother with buckethead?

Digging: Wilco - Summerteeth

zaruyache

Digging: Gabor Szabo - Dreams

grannypantys
October 31st 2016

old B-head has a handful of fantastic albums. this is not one of them

evilford
November 1st 2016

so is this guy a joke or.....

Shadowmire
November 1st 2016

i think i would rather kill myself than try to explore this guy's discog tbh

evilford

lol

November 1st 2016

"apparently he has some really well-received albums from a ways back, so I suppose there's always that "what if" factor with him."

yea exactly, some of his albums before this pike series have some nice jams. even certain pikes of his are a little quality, but he should really change up his game at this point.

cheers fellas.

Rastapunk
November 1st 2016

Yeah I'm a fan of this guy. All I can say is I've probably listened to 10% of his discog as it is impossible to keep up with all that he released. Most of the release are 2.5 or 3 and every 5 or ten you get a masterpiece. Sometimes his compositions speak right to me and I can feel his emotion through his guitar. Will maybe check this out.

Davil667
November 1st 2016

Great write up dan! Just as usual :] This guy's really a kind of enigma... Very talented but driven by some unknown force it seems. I really like him somehow and it's awesome and sometimes quite obvious he was inspired by one of my all time favorite guitar players, Mr. Paul Gilbert.

thanks man :]

MH18
November 1st 2016

Great write up, have a pos. Will probably not check this though, checked some albums in the Pike series but they didn't click with me.

DinosaurJones
November 1st 2016

I haven't listened to any of the Pikes. I like a lot of his earlier stuff, but holy shit, there's just not enough time in my life to try to listen to everything he's put out over the past 2 years alone.

MH18

Yeh, it's p crazy

November 1st 2016

thanks mate, i could prob name about 12ish half great pikes from what i've heard, i tend to prefer his ambient and/or experimental ones over his heavy stuff and his 10 minute wank solos.

BigBlob
November 1st 2016

does this guy still play with just a backing track and himself live?

guy has to the most overrated guitarist ever. has ability, but wow boy does he know how to waste it

NutsDeepInGuts
November 1st 2016

i wouldn't say he's squandered his abillity but I think he's seriously underestimating peoples propensity to become jaded after hearing the same thing several hundred times , regardless of the quality

Whispered4tw
November 1st 2016

oh great wasn't aware that this guy finally had a new album out

lol