Desecresy
Stoic Death

2.0
poor

by Hawks USER (92 Reviews)
October 14th, 2016 | 8 replies

Release Date: 11/01/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Just when you thought Finland could do no wrong, think again.

To death metal fans, there isn't any country that does it like Finland. Bands such as Adramelech, Convulse, Demigod, Rippikoulu, and only god knows how many more bursted on to the death metal scene throughout the 90's and then Hooded Menace, Krypts, and Stench of Decay more recently. Even though most of these bands were one and done, they all had one thing in common, they knew how to put out the most evil and murky sounding death metal around. So with that in mind, you would think that Desecresy would be next in the line of death metal bands from Finland that would take you into the depths of hell. Well..... think again my friends.

Stoic Death is just a really bad album, let's start out with that. I know that's kind of vague, but it's a fact. The main gripe I have about this album is the production. I don't want to say it's fuzzy in the vein of an album like Nattens Madrigal where the fuzz adds to the atmosphere of the album, it's more fuzzy in the way that every single instrument is muffled together. No type of atmosphere can be built because it's honestly painful to listen to. Fans of death metal are no strangers to low production value, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Then again, maybe if there were any catchy riffs (which I can't point out a single one), you wouldn't be able to hear them anyways. The vocals are okay, but again nothing that stands out enough to save this album.

I don't want to sound like I think all Finnish death metal bands should clone each other, but honestly if it ain't broke don't fix it. This was personally my first experience with the band so I can't judge their whole body of work. All I'm saying is what a lot of death metal fans enjoy is a murky atmosphere of a band like Infester or more riff heavy stuff of a band like Morbid Angel or even both. Stoic Death has none of that. In fact, there's no trace of anything I would consider a redeemable quality on this album. It's not the worst thing ever and some people may get enjoyment out of it. More power to those people, but my advice is to steer very clear from this.