SUMA
The Order of Things

by Raul Stanciu STAFF
October 11th, 2016 | 26 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: When you thought SUMA couldn’t get any heavier, here they are proving us wrong.

The über heavy Swedish act SUMA started as a stoner metal outfit that blended desert grooves with doom leanings. Their potential was observed yet it required more to stand out in between the myriad of bands which sound the same. Thankfully, in 2006 they released Let the Churches Burn, a sludge/doom/noise behemoth widely regarded as their finest achievement so far. Its success lay in the calibration of those styles amid stoner grooves. Four years later, Ashes slowed down a gear, delivering some brutal riffs among brooding ambient passages. Their DIY approach and infrequent LP crafting has turned them into a hidden gem, becoming big enough to achieve worldwide recognition, without turning into a corporation like many do these days.

Besides passing six years since Ashes saw the light of day, 2016 marks the 10th anniversary of Let the Churches Burn. As people have been left waiting for a long time, expectations have considerably grown. During this downtime some changes have occurred: vocalist Jovan departed, his role being taken by bassist Johan, whereas a new member, Rick was added to take care of samples, noise & drones. As thought, The Order of Things is another win for the guys. It continues their forays into goddamned heavy territory, often indulging in relentless onslaught. ‘Bait for Maggots’ and ‘RPA’ kick incredibly hard using fuzz-drenched guitars and low, distorted bass lines. The pounding drums, which focus a lot on toms, floor toms and loud cymbals (bringing Neurosis to mind), do half of the work as they drive both the rhythm section and add substantial weight to the tracks. At times, sharp leads, screamed vocals & sound manipulation find their way through this murky wall to create an unsettling atmosphere, thus complementing the others very well. Rick takes the lead on opener, ‘Sick Present’ and ‘Being and/or Nothingness’, twisting synth lines among looping feedback or samples for an apocalyptic feel.

On the latter half, we find ‘Education for Death’, a crushing epic that builds up for 9 minutes through explosive kicks on top of which excessively echoed/reverbed vocals shout in the distance. When everyone finally unleashes, a ponderous riff boasting scorching guitars trudges along. Moreover, an incredibly piercing coda burns everything down, leading into ‘Disorder of Things’, the shortest fully formed cut. Our journey intensifies to the extreme here as SUMA keep battering with all their force until it can’t get any louder. Finally, we reach to the end through ‘The Greater Dying’, a track which borrows from post-metal territory. Starting with a delayed guitar lead, the band bursts into a barbarous mid-part where soaring vocals are added, as well as uncanny keyboard leads among layers of noise. Closing such a grandiose odyssey, the guys needed to go out in style. Although it doesn’t rely as much on groove as before, the album comes across as a mix between its two predecessors.

In the end, just when I thought SUMA can’t get any heavier, the band proves us wrong. This hour-long mammoth is a visceral reminder of their sheer power and a fresh offering that is just as good as Let the Churches Burn, if not better. There is a lot to take in, yet after a couple of spins The Order of Things gets under your skin. Even so, I am amazed how this excess they constantly dabble in paid off. Very few bands manage to do it without failing. As a blend of doom, sludge, noise and stoner with an excellent production, courtesy of Billy Anderson, this LP is one of the most consistent I have heard in a while. Dig it!

Bodyjar Terra FirmaCarbon Based Lifeforms Derelicts
Monolord RustWith the Dead Love from With the Dead
Ufomammut 8The Flying Eyes Burning the Season

October 11th 2016

Great stuff and heavy as fuck!

Stream here - http://echoesanddust.com/2016/10/exclusive-album-stream-suma-the-order-of-things/

Digging: Carbon Based Lifeforms - Derelicts

Mort.
October 11th 2016

"The über heavy Swedish act, SUMA has started as a stoner metal outfit that blended desert grooves with doom leanings"

do you mean "was" started?

Digging: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven

October 11th 2016

Oh man, I'm so looking forward to checking this out. Sounds absolutely fantastic.

October 11th 2016

I think I should've better left it as SUMA started. If only I could edit my reviews...sigh :-(

October 11th 2016

Wait... do staff relinquish their right to edit reviews after posting? :o

October 11th 2016

No, it didn't work for a while. Thankfully, I could edit it on my phone

Shadowmire
October 11th 2016

thought this was sumac for a second and was confused
will check

October 12th 2016

Haha, no, but these guys slay, so it's worth the time to check them out

CaliggyJack
October 12th 2016

God dammit another Suma album...

Goodbye life cuz im gonna be jammin this for weeks.

October 12th 2016

'RPA' is my favourite so far, but the whole thing is amazing

Gonna have to check the rest of their stuff out now

book

cryptologous
October 12th 2016

yea but is this better than All That Remains' "The Order of Things"?

highly suspect

Laeddis
October 13th 2016

gonna check these guys out

October 13th 2016

Let the Churches Burn is another highlight of their career Archelirion. Ashes is great too.

Hawks
October 13th 2016

Never heard this band, but sounds awesome. Gonna get on this.

Digging: Astronoid - Air

October 13th 2016

ended up not liking this

what happened?

fatneckbeard

this is the good shit.

October 14th 2016

The production was good but the compositions unfortunately didn't emotionally move me

October 14th 2016

I see. Give Let the Churches Burn a spin then, it has more groove. Maybe you'll dig it.