Owen
The King of Whys

by MonotoneMop USER (9 Reviews)
September 25th, 2016 | 16 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A Lifetime of Bitterness

Who is Mike Kinsella? Is he the post-teenage poet that birthed the most ubiquitous emo album of all, or the soft-spoken, Honda Element-driving father of two that lives under the former’s shadow? As the American Football reunion album looms, the distinction between these two artists is more blurred than ever before. The King of Whys was released as news of the new record began to pick up steam, which may have garnered some extra attention from those excited for American Football, but also diminished its impact to some extent. This is a shame, as The King of Whys presents the most restrained, poignant picture of Owen since 2006’s At Home With Owen. Going back to more tender territory presents a stark contrast to 2013’s eclectic L’Ami du Peuple, so how does this change fare against Owen’s back catalogue? Well, that depends on how you like your Kinsella.

The King of Whys was produced in collaboration with S. Carey, who also serves as the drummer for Bon Iver. This influence is reflected in the chilly, well-spaced production of every song, and this is perhaps most obvious in opener “Empty Bottle.” The track explores a wide soundstage, with heavy drums pounding behind reverb-driven acoustic guitar. The result is a gorgeously fractious web of percussive noise that expands and retracts persistently alongside Kinsella’s tender timbre and resigned lyrics. “You’ve got a lot of nerves, will you please touch mine with yours?” he emotes, setting the stage for themes of the walking-on-eggshells nature of domestic love. While the opener is representative of the rest of the album lyrically, it is a sonic anomaly within the tracklisting. The majority of the record can be summed up by the next track.

“The Desperate Act” is a steady, sparse track that probes deeper into Kinsella’s marital wins and woes. “Somehow all of a sudden, I find myself struggling. Two lives are too much and not enough” Mike muses, calling to arms his wistful, yet apathetic style to great success. Understated production gives the double-tracked vocals an enhanced weight and allows the song to stand above the album as one of its great successes. There are some instances on the record that may have benefitted from this level of restraint, such as in “Lovers Come and Go”, which employs some incongruous percussion in its choruses that seems to materialize from nowhere after each verse. Moments in which sudden dynamic changes provide a positive effect generally follow the opposite formula, dropping several tracks to isolate Kinsella’s vocals and guitar. The bridge of penultimate track “Sleep Is A Myth” provides a great example of this. The track consists of drowsy yet sinister guitars and electronic drums that persist up until the climax, which contains some of the best lyrics ever penned by Kinsella. “Don’t worry about the money, we’ll get by or we won’t. You look better hungry, you wear your weary eyes well” he sings, providing one last somber perspective on his married life before the closing track.

“Lost” ends the record on an uplifting note, addressing an untamed youth. Lyrics such as “You’re lost, but at least you’ve nowhere to be and no one to leave you” seem to speak to an untarnished soul, fighting off the cynicism that comes with age and responsibility. As a father, Mike Kinsella has a burden to bear, a reason to come home every night rather than wander freely. There is sacrifice in love. The King of Whys does not pull punches in this regard. While it may be one of the lightest Owen records in instrumentation, its lyrical content holds significant weight. Mike has gone on record in multiple interviews saying that he enjoys being a father and that he uses his music as an outlet to vent his day-to-day frustrations, but having all of this resentment concentrated in one record makes it fairly devastating in its cynicism. Even if Kinsella is truly happy as a father, he tells the listener not to “waste your breath telling me you want what I have. No one believes you.” This, then, is the sound of a man aging unto death to the hum of a refrigerator, and nobody does it better than Owen.

Recommended:

Mew +-Blur The Magic Whip
Olde Pine The JawnsZookeeper Zookeeper

AsleepInTheBack
September 25th 2016

Whoo this got a review, and wow its a stunning one, super hard pos man

MonotoneMop
September 25th 2016

Thanks so much! Looking forward to discussion on this one, I've been listening to it a ton lately.

timebetweentrains
September 25th 2016

Excellent job reviewing this. I'm finally getting around to giving this some time and early on I can say I really enjoy it. Lovers Come and Go was a standout for me

TheCharmingMan
September 25th 2016

lol Elvis Depressedly in the recommended box. Have a pos.

Lucid
September 26th 2016

very nicely done with the review

nice

Digging: Counterparts - You're Not You Anymore

September 26th 2016

Excellent review. I agree with the assessment of Empty Bottle sounding so different to the rest of the album, despite the lyrical themes carrying over. To be honest, though, that's one aspect of the album I found a little jarring. I find the Desperate Act sets the tone much more effectively.

Digging: Hundred Waters - Communicating

Pajolero
September 26th 2016

Love Kinsella the artist, can't stand Kinsella the human being. Which is fine, I guess.
Sweet review man!

September 26th 2016

If you don't mind me asking, what don't you like about Kinsella the human being? He seems quite chill to me, and from what I've seen he sort of keeps himself out of the limelight, or am I wrong?

Pajolero
September 26th 2016

It's not some particular thing about him I guess, he just comes off as a bit of a dick in the interviews. Plus his tweets are some of the dumbest most random shit (and for that reason quite entertaining I have to admit).

Sinternet
September 26th 2016

great review for a great album

Digging: Circa Survive - The Amulet

September 27th 2016

the production is really good i just don't like the music

ABjordanMM
October 6th 2016

This is almost on par with some of their older albums.

Lucid
October 14th 2016

his best since at home with owen

November 10th 2016

Tourniquet and Sleep is a Myth are beautiful. I love the production on this album, but I thought L'Ami du Peuple was a fair bit better.

July 31st 2017

"Bring out what's dead / And dying in your troubled head / Your lifeless body will awaken"