Departures
Death Touches Us, From The Moment We Begin To Love

by Brett Tharp STAFF
July 31st, 2016 | 136 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: We've been through this a thousand times, and I'm not tired yet.

It comes with the territory that melodic hardcore rarely wants to make us move so much as it wants to make us feel, but equally rarely is that exemplified so well as it is with Departures’ Death Touches Us, From The Moment We Begin To Love. There are plenty Counterparts out there of course, bands that prefer to strike a balance between aggression and vulnerability, but next to them Departures’ intensely melodic sound is a relief. Their debut, When Losing Everything Is Everything You Wanted, held a little truer to their hardcore foundation, but Death Touches Us… sways to middling tempos more than it hurdles through greater ones. At heart it’s a poignant display of the emotional depth melodic hardcore can reach, even if it tamps down the hardcore part in the process.

Death Touches Us… doesn’t have the most varied songwriting (with the exception of instrumental centerpiece “Set Adrift”, every song does the same general set of things), but it also doesn’t need to. It’s a neat collection of tracks that mostly don’t reach beyond or below the two to four minute range, nor does the album crest far past the thirty minute mark. Sure, a little more variety wouldn’t hurt, but these songs are engaging enough to keep from blending together too much. As its mission is to convey deep emotion, it’s integral that these songs succeed. And they do. There isn’t a track you could point to that drops the ball on being an affecting slab of melodic punk, from the pop punk meets utter misery that is “The Last Dance” to climactic closer “Memorial”. Hell, the sound often sounds so melodic and easy on the ears that it comes off more as an amalgam of emo, indie rock, and post rock than anything spawned from hardcore. That being said, the ragged, ever present screams on top keeps it firmly rooted in aggressive music. These vocals carry the emotions of Death Touches Us… forward without even thinking of stopping, desperate delivery as integral as the heartfelt words of dissolving relationships, tragedy, and fading memories are.

Death Touches Us… wants to be poignant, affecting to the greatest degree, and there’s no doubt it succeeds in this. Every second of its short runtime is almost hobbled by the weight of despair, a despair that could tear down anyone. But it continues on. Maybe with a little driving hope in the back of its mind, maybe just because it doesn’t know what else to do, but it keeps going. Self-pity and a penchant for wallowing in one’s misfortune aside, that’s an admirable thing indeed.

Dayseeker Dreaming is Sinking /// Waking is RisingThe Acacia Strain Gravebloom
Twilight Fauna The Year the Stars FellGhost Bath Starmourner
Nightbringer Terra DamnataFen Winter
kawaiiP (4.5)
‘So take me back to your house, its where I want to be’ – to listen to the entirety of this al...

Gameofmetal

ayyyyy

Digging: Wolves in the Throne Room - Thrice Woven

Album is very depressing

I was going to review but I couldn't find the words

Digging: Counterparts - You're Not You Anymore

Gameofmetal
July 31st 2016

it was pretty hard for me but i guess i found something in it to talk about

TheBarber

cute!

Pho3nix

Reminds me of that 'Brand New' album cover

MarsKid
July 31st 2016

When Losing Everything... is still better in my opinion, but this album is solid without a doubt.

Digging: Sufferer - Sufferer

elcrawfodor

@Pho3nix my first thought too

SteakByrnes
July 31st 2016

Great review as usual, I've been meaning to check this out

Digging: The Dream the Chase - Found Again

trackbytrackreviews

This is most pretentious title I've seen since the last 1975 album

Futures

"pretentious"

Digging: Brand New - Science Fiction

MarsKid
July 31st 2016

Not sure I'm with you there.

wwf
July 31st 2016

judging from the massively melodramatic album title and the average, I'm gonna dig the fuck out of this

CaimanJesus
July 31st 2016

Definitely gonna pick this up when I get the chance, love these guys

SnakeDelilah

19751 Comments

you're right tbt all album titles should be as simple as shit like sing the sorrow so that nobody gets confused

Digging: END (NJ) - From the Unforgiving Arms of God

FullOfSounds

The cover reminds me too much of The Devil and God

Futures
July 31st 2016

people keep saying that but it makes no sense tbh. it has a little kid and a wall that's all the similarity

Calc
July 31st 2016

review reads like a hard 2.5, really seems like there's nothing special about this.

Ocean of Noise
July 31st 2016

There's a kid up against a wall. The wall has a similar texture to the wall on the TDAG cover. The kid looks like he's hiding from something, just like the TDAG cover. There's a mysterious figure in the background, just like on the TDAG cover.

Are you honestly telling me you don't see the similarities?

Digging: Therion - Vovin

LewisShaw
July 31st 2016

Yeh there are similarities but some people are saying this artwork is a copy (even though it's a photo from 1980)

LaughingSkull