Frameworks
Smother

by KevinGoldfinger USER (16 Reviews)
June 30th, 2016 | 55 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Why are you wearing that stupid Frameworks suit?

Donnie Darko is far from my favorite movie, but this record reminds me of it. Specifically while watching the music video for “Purge”, I felt as if I had been plunged into the same dystopian suburbia that housed Frank the rabbit. As I watched frontman Luke Pate calmly scream into the microphone, making the feat appear effortless, the glitchy VHS style footage switched over to a shot of a cheerleader jumping into the air in her living room. Something about the lighting made the reality of it look thin. There was an unsettling quality about the way the overly bright sun shined through the window, washing the girl in white light. The scene changes again. The glittery guitar parts that overlay the impassioned vocals seem to contradict that footage of TV dinners being microwaved.

The unreality of “Purge” hangs in the air like a fog throughout Frameworks’ second record, Smother. Conveniently, the harsh vocals manage to cut through the daydream and bite back with dignity. Punk anthem “Fear of Missing Out” is the perfect introduction to the album, with a traditional approach reminiscent of older hardcore bands. Frameworks puts forth their strongest instrumental work as a band, with incredible guitar/bass parts that can be equally beautiful and positive as they are crushing. Some of these songs almost sound happy despite their heavier, riff-laden qualities. The “heavy sound” cliché’s are missing from this band, even more so on Smother in comparison to 2014’s “Loom”. Frameworks trade overused dissonance for a combination sound of dreamy textures and classic punk.

It’s refreshing to hear songs like “Peculiar People”, “Purge”, and “Tangled“ sound like triumphs when they could have easily been taken in a more somber direction. That being said, other tracks like “Song of Myself” and “Tinnitus” satisfy the band’s darker side. Evil guitars phasing with effects and chaotic drumming join together for a three-minute atmospheric screamo joyride.

As the “The New Narcissistic American Dream” fades out, my sense of displacement ceases, and I’m back in my own reality. No VHS suburbia, no cheerleaders, and no Frank the rabbit.

Fav Tracks: Fear of Missing Out, Peculiar People, Purge, Song of Myself

Digging: Petal - Comfort

yep! http://noisey.vice.com/blog/frameworks-smother-album-stream

Purge music vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48SjXLRA5SY

wait...this exists???? [2]

knew they had a new EP, but didn't see this coming

Digging: Susanne Sundfor - Music For People In Trouble

Artuma
June 30th 2016

band rocks, the ep from earlier this year was pretty great, will def check this

June 30th 2016

yeah that ep was sick. really love this new record, though.

StarlessCore

gonna jam

StarlessCore

trite is dope

album is rlly clean to the point of retardation considering the spin on the genre but its actually solid stuff musically. riffs are dope

TheSpirit
June 30th 2016

"Old Chokes" will always be the band's best song, but I'm listening to this now and it's really good.

Digging: Grinning Death's Head - Blood War

TooLateToGoBack

1952 Comments

glad i pre-ordered this

VisionsFromTheDarkSide
June 30th 2016

Their debut LP and EP are sweet, will definitely check this

Digging: Kayo Dot - Coffins on Io

July 1st 2016

should i listen to this or is this too post-hardcore for me

July 1st 2016

not too post-hardcore, def worth a listen. maybe start with "purge" music vid and see what you think

will do thanks

doomjitsu
July 2nd 2016

listen to latterman conrade

conrade hahaha nice

Calc
July 3rd 2016

loom was fucking great I hope this is too. you should put the stream up. I didn't even know there was one.

July 3rd 2016

the stream is the second comment

dangerousdarrin
July 6th 2016

This band is awesome and this album is the best thing they've done.

rafalafa
July 8th 2016

I can't stop listening to this album. Short of the new Touché Amore, I can't see any other hardcore record gripping me like this has.