Alkaline Trio
Good Mourning

by Chelsea Brinda USER (10 Reviews)
May 25th, 2006 | 20 replies | 2,364 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Note: It's 1:30am. I'm mad tired, and I did this in about 15 minutes. I should have done it some other time, but I'll be expecting comments on how this review is crap. Go crazy with your comments!

Good Mourning. The first CD I ever got by Alkaline Trio. I was, of course, amazed. Why wouldnít I be? This CD compiles some fantastic songs done by the Trio. Released in 2003 on Vagrant Records, this was where Alkaline Trio really got better. Though will Mattís raspy voice from drinking and smoking, it adds on to the songs, just adding affect.

Some songs on this CD are dull, and boring, yet inspiring to beginning musicians because they are so easy. Emma is an amazingly easy song, maybe boring in some pats, but otherwise a fast, bouncy song. Itís just because the notes are so repetitive. Most of these songs do that, but not all. Continental and All On Black have some interesting bass lines, drum lines, guitar, whatever. All On Black has a complicated bass line, which gives it body, and makes it more full. Blue Carolina is a neat song, hitting more different notes, which makes it a song without lots of chords. Blue in the Face is a beautiful acoustic song. I donít know what makes it just so beautiful, but it is. Mattís voice adds to the song, making it sound almost dramatic. Weíve Had Enough is another fast song. With a cool, but repetitive bass line, it has some nice drumming in it thanks to Derek Grant.

Vocals are something Iíve never really been impressed by, especially by Alkaline Trio. Lots of the lyrics usually do not make sense to me, but they can be alright at times.This Could Be Love talks a lot about suicide, which is a negative for me. Suicide is ***ing lame, and singing about them makes them look almost like wannabes, which is NOT what they are. Weíve Had Enough is that king of song where you can paint a picture in your head. What I see in my head is just a simple graveyard with them walking through it, thinking. I canít explain the lyric, thatís just what I see in my head. Boring, right? Thatís what I thought they should have done for their video. But instead, they used a different setting, which doesnít seem to make sense to me. 100 Stories is another song about ďhurting" yourself, which is stupid. Emma I guess is about an ex-girlfriend that instead of causing love, caused hate and tragedy. Donner Party (All Night) is supposed to be about THE Donner Party. Yíknow, the people who died in a freezing tragedy. But, they donít really talk about the Donner Party. They just talk about themselves. Whatever. Blue in the Face is a beautiful song, but not with a beautiful meaning. This is mainly about an ex-girlfriend, and how she hated Matt or whoever the ďhe" is in this song. Then they talk about dyingÖagain. Not exactly suicide, but still killing/dying.

Lots of these songs have their gloomy side, their cheerful side, their sad side, and their happy side. Any song that has a happy/cheerful side actually isnít really happy. They have lyrics that donít show any happiness at all. If it is happy, they are cheerful for the wrong reason. For example, they are happy because they killed someone they hated. Or, they are happy because they get to die, or they killed themselves. These songs may send a wrong message, but they are extremely catchy, and oneís that I love. I donít approve of suicide/death, but if thatís their opinion, so be it.

This is either my 2nd or 3rd favorite CD by the Trio. Like I said at the beginning, this was the first CD I got by them. I fell in love with it, and itís what got me obsessed with them. This is a fantastic CD, not quite a 5 (Vocals/Lyrics), but is very close. Alkaline Trio was my first band I became infatuated with, and they still are amazing to me. Saying this concludes my review. Have fun listening!

Less Than Jake Borders And BoundariesYuka Tsujiyoko Paper Mario GMS (Disc 1 and 2)
Less Than Jake B Is For B-sidesLess Than Jake Anthem
Alkaline Trio Maybe I'll Catch FireGoldfinger Hang-ups

The Sludge
May 25th 2006

From Here To Infirmaty is my favorite over this. This is a pretty good review, but I dont see a need for the note at the top. :thumb:

Edit: Your reviews are different from the rest of the site, and thats what makes you stand out. Keep it up.This Message Edited On 05.25.06

Angry Balled Fists!
May 25th 2006

This is my favorite Alk3 cd, and i have all of theirs.

[quote=The_Sludge04]

Edit: Your reviews are different from the rest of the site, and thats what makes you stand out. Keep it up.[/quote]

Thank you!

ToWhatEnd
May 25th 2006

Not a bad review at all, very unique indeed. The album I like but I just cannot take listening to it all in the same sitting for some reason.

*waits for Goddammit fanboys*

pattern_recognition
May 25th 2006

I usually can't stand bands like A3, but for some reason I really like their stuff. I can't listen to a whole album straight through either, though.

Storm In A Teacup
May 25th 2006

This is okay, but it's great to see a review by the Chill (Bee).

=D

Thank you, Ian.

Hatshepsut

1997 Comments

Nice review. AK3 are one of the few pop-punk bands I like right now. From Here to the Infirmary is better than this though, I listened to that much more even though I gave both of them 4.

Gnarmageddon
May 29th 2006

This was the first Alk3 album I bought too, and it's still my favorite. The first 7 songs or so are amazing, but then it kind of starts to slump. Still good though. Nice review, Chelsea. :D

May 29th 2006

Thanks Spence. /heart

Hearts don't work. Boo.This Message Edited On 05.29.06

DJ Ducksauce
May 30th 2006

Good job Chels.

First song I ever heard by the Trio was We've Had Enough. Fun song.

Firecracker
May 30th 2006

His voice isn't raspy on this album, because he had singing lessons before it which improved his voice tremendously.
In Goddamnit and MICF the raspy voice comes through, less so on this album.

Bad Blood
June 13th 2006

Best Alk3 album.

Nice review.

Thanks.

Storm In A Teacup
June 14th 2006

Chels, you're supposed to put your full name if you want to be chosen to review upcoming albums whenever that happens. ;)

The Sludge
June 14th 2006

Why do I have this feeling that there are people here that actually know eachother here?

June 20th 2006

Because we communicate over messenger and stuff.

CushMG15
June 20th 2006

I love Alkaline Trio's ability to take an insanely catchy and poppy song and make it incredibly depressing. The fact that it sounds so cheerful sometimes sort of addds to the hopeless feel of many of their songs. Especially on this album. This is their most solid album.

Good Review, as well.

EDIT: Sidenote, They do reference the Donner Party in slight context. Not the blood, gore, and cannibalsim. But with lines like "As we quietly died in the snow...", "No trace of us in Spring" and "A place we never wanted to call home" make references to the conditions and attitudes that those of the Donner Party prolly experienced.This Message Edited On 06.20.06

courtneylynne
August 8th 2006

Your review is alright, but not as cool as Zacks!!!

September 9th 2006