Erykah Badu
Mama's Gun

by Miguel Walter USER (20 Reviews)
May 24th, 2006 | 17 replies

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

I normally like modern r&b/neo-soul/whatever you want to call it about as much as I like Donald Rumsfeld.

I dig old school r&b, of course, but I can only take so much of the crap that currently makes up that genre.

The exception to all of this, though, is Erykah Badu's Mama's Gun, a fantastic album and one of my favorites that I could see many people not taking seriously. Take this disc seriously, though, because practically every track is gold.

Some background that might be interesting: Badu had a relationship with Outkast's Andre 3000 that resulted in a child. When they split up, both musicians used that drama as inspiration in the studio. Outkast made Stankonia, with Andre writing "Ms. Jackson" about the incident, and Badu released Mama's Gun, reflecting on the break up on the 10-minute "Green Eyes."

Enough with the facts ... the album, like I said, is fantastic. Opener "Penitentiary Philosophy" sounds like early Hendrix, the J Dilla-produced "Didn't Cha Know" is full of passion, the playful "Time's a Wastin'" features the best vocals on the entire album and "Green Eyes" is flat-out incredible.

The strongest track, though, is "In Love With You," a duet with Stephen Marley. Yes, its a fairly simple love song, but both singers sound spectacular and the acoustic guitar that plays throughout is great. If you just want to download a song, try this or "Penitentiary Philosophy," which is more rock-influenced.

Though there might be a few tracks that don't blow your mind, there isn't really a bad song here. And it has a high replay value, especially considering the genre, which can get old rather quickly if you're not in the mood.

Anybody that likes older r&b should check out Mama's Gun! Yeah ...

Carole King TapestryDabrye Two/Three
My Morning Jacket It Still MovesDanger Mouse and Jemini Ghetto Pop Life
Lyrics Born Same !@#$ Different DayBob Dylan Knocked Out Loaded

Electric City

Ahh come on do a full review. Badu rocks.This Message Edited On 05.24.06

Digging: Ricky Eat Acid - Three Love Songs

The Jungler
May 24th 2006

The only Erykah I've heard is her guest spot on that Roots song (the name escapes me) but I'd like to get into her, does she sound anything like Lauren Hill?

May 24th 2006

She doesn't really "sound" like her, but you should check this out if you like Hill. I like this as much as Hill's unplugged album, almost as much as Miseducation.

I probably should have mentioned Hill in the review ... oh well.

May 24th 2006

Do people ever do full reviews later on of stuff they do blurbs of? If that is frowned upon or something, I'll never do it, but I didn't have time to go nuts today.

The Jungler
May 24th 2006

I think maybe they would want you to delete the blurb, but other than that I don't think it's frowned on at all. I'd pos it if you did (assuming it's this good)

May 24th 2006

I laugh at this album. She is overrated to the max.

May 24th 2006

Coming from a guy that digs Maroon 5? I'm not too worried about your laugh. She rules.

May 24th 2006

Hmmm, I unfortunately listen to many more artists than Maroon 5. You're about the 7th person to use that though, so good on ya.
She just isn't a very good songwriter, and her voice bores me.

May 24th 2006

The critique you just gave works so much better than saying you laugh at this
album.
At least now I don't fee like you are mocking my blurb or something.

And maybe people bring it up because they are FREAKING MAROON 5. I know you
generally have great taste in music, though, I'm just busting your balls.

Side story: I was at a day-long festival once and there was this girl with only one
hand
that got autographs from all of her favorite musicians and I overheard somebody
ask
her what signature she wanted the most that she didn't have. She said it was the
singer
from Maroon 5. Maybe you could look up this handless wonder and you guys could
discuss
your favorite song over a bottle of wine and some cheese or
something.This Message Edited On 05.24.06This Message Edited On 05.24.06

May 24th 2006

Boy would I love to meet her. We can discuss whether "Shiver" or "Secret" is the best song on the album. Ah...smokin'. She have a nice rack at least?

May 24th 2006

Haha, she was probably like 13.

May 24th 2006

Oh don't get me all hot and bothered jeeze.

July 1st 2006

Oh, Iluvatar, how our love has grown since this.

Edit: I don't think I could just rewrite this to make it a normal review, I'd have to start
fresh. Blurbs suddenly being real reviews makes me look silly! Maybe I'll fix this this
weekend.This Message Edited On 07.01.06

shazwagon
August 2nd 2010

Great taste in music? He's digging Eminem's Recovery for Chrissake!

Sousa
May 15th 2011

Fantastic album. Her debut was even better though.

Bag Lady is insane

Tupik
August 16th 2011

This is very very good

PappyMason
August 3rd 2014

Yeah, this is seriously smooth.

Digging: Susumu Yokota - Sakura