Lord Snow
Solitude

by brainmelter USER (2 Reviews)
May 17th, 2016 | 31 replies

Release Date: 2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: short and cathartic

Lord Snow is a relatively unknown three-piece hardcore/screamo band from Chicago. Some of its members come from other hardcore acts such as Raw Nerve and Suffix. Going into this and even now, I don't know too much about this band besides that they are self proclaimed 'feminist-vegan hardcore'. That's a mouthful, I know. But please don't let that discourage you. Nothing about this band is conventional, yet they remain so damn alluring.

Lord Snow's sound is pretty unique. I mean, foremost they have an in-your-face and energetic sound, but its so much more than that. All the members play their respected instruments with a technical proficiency that is something to behold. Though they may be quite disillusioning at first, they're schizophrenic, spastic, and sometimes even melancholy noise is all part of the charm. There are plenty of tempo shifts and emotional energy throughout. But some may find the vocalist/bassist Steph's shrill screams a bit grating in particular on first listen. But after repeated listens I couldn't imagine another voice that would suit this sound better. Following the trend of all their previous work up to now, almost all the tracks on this LP have a very short running time. Most are barely over a minute. They're sweet and short blasts of aggression with a tint of sadness. A lot of the songs being so short and hopping from song to song can be kind of jarring, sometimes feeling like an idea is never fully fleshed out. The track "Stormcloak" is a perfect embodiment of their sound. At around twenty-one seconds in the vocals and guitar sync up so wonderfully. The vocals being used here more as a melody enhancer for the track. "Yellow marillo/booker dewitt" is a nice change of pace with its slightly more collected sound and even dare I say it, jazzy drumming. One of the longer tracks and a personal highlight for me. The bands lo-fi and almost sloppy sound is all part of the aesthetic.

And I have to mention the track that is literally 5x longer than most of the tracks on here, the title track. It's definitely the most varied and has all the band members showing off their chops. About half way through the track all the instruments sync up and the drums begin rolling and growing behind everything creating a momentum that truly feels greater than the sum of its parts. By the end of it, you feel blue-balled. And I mean that in the best way possible. You want more, you feel like you are kind of left hanging and that things are just really getting started. It's that feeling that keeps making me come back, and maybe it was an underlying intention all along.

May 17th 2016

short write up, for a short album

1st review evr, feedback is welcome

Digging: Kinoko Teikoku - Long Goodbye

May 17th 2016

fuck yes finally a review for this and it rules

Digging: Jute Gyte - Perdurance

BMDrummer

fuck yes

DanielNightLewis
May 17th 2016

Best album. Absolutely mind blowing live too.

Digging: Coma Cluster Void - Mind Cemeteries

ScuroFantasma

Good review, pos

Digging: Type O Negative - Slow, Deep, and Hard

May 17th 2016

ty, it was killing me that this didn't have a review

Mort.
May 18th 2016

would read this but the formatting is shit, just looks like one massive block of text

Digging: Every Time I Die - Low Teens

May 18th 2016

there you go mort, I fixed it

Mort.
May 18th 2016

thats much better man, i can actually bare reading it now.

good review as well, posd

owen

goes hard

Digging: Cinemechanica - Cinemechanica

MillionDead
May 27th 2016

I was thinking about reviewing this sometime, but you beat me to it. I fucking love this thing. The drummer is a monster and vocals and riffs are nicely depressing and dynamic. Solid lyrics too. Good on you for shouting out Stormcloak as the perfect embodiment of their sound, cause that's my favorite track by them. Pos'd.

Digging: John Zorn - Kristallnacht

Gestapo
May 27th 2016

if you're reading this i love you

beauty is a rare thing

May 27th 2016

self proclaimed 'feminist-vegan hardcore'

May 27th 2016

silly labels aside the t/t is best screamo song of the decade

May 27th 2016

i'd like to see a feminist vegan hardcore band go up against some nsbm shit

rt if u agree

May 27th 2016

stormcloak is so lit yea

the is great to play on a repeated loop due to its shortness

Sinternet