Combichrist
No Redemption (Official DmC Soundtrack)

by Simon Killip USER (90 Reviews)
April 9th, 2016 | 14 replies

Release Date: 2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: More than "just a score."

It seems to be a common theme in video games these days, where a developer approaches a semi-established artist to do a score-soundtrack for their game. The glaringly obvious reason for this is the amount of money being thrown at the artist is a fraction of what it would cost to pay the likes of Harry Gregson-Williams to do the score. But irony plays its part here, and by getting the likes of HEALTH and Combichrist to compose the soundtracks in question, they approach their scores with unorthodox methods, and have a different eye to your everyday composer; the result is an experience far more engaging than the standard affair of most scores, and one that stands up to the Hollywood titans of Harry Gregson-Williams and Hans Zimmer. These types of albums have tons of character and are enjoyed just as much on their own merits as they are being played with their main intention; this, I feel, is down to the fact it's a band of musicians doing it, than a well-educated composer.

Similarities end there with HEALTH's Max Payne 3 soundtrack and Combichirst's DMC effort, though: HEALTH reined in on their more ambient sensibilities, reserving themselves to hone in and match what was required of the music; Combichrist's effort for DMC elevates the band in the same way as HEALTH --offering the goods for its primary job, but also showing a promising progression to the band's evolving sound-- but it delivers in a different way. The most obvious difference is that No Redemption doesn't feel like a score in the slightest; it's an LP that could sit comfortably with the rest of their LP discography and have you not even realise it was a soundtrack for a game. There is no long-winded ambient sections, and almost every track feels like a fleshed out jam from the band. No Redemption sees Combichrist utilising far more metal influence than ever before, while the band's industrial and electronic elements remain prevalent throughout, they tend to support the thrashy guitars and drums than be the main ingredient. "Gimmie Deathrace" and "Age of Mutation" are prime examples of a band who know how to make a good, heavy metal song and still keep their signature foundations and sound in tact. There is an ample amount of variety floating around on here, that not so much veer off-course , but adds spice and emits certain feelings to other styles and genres: the vocal delivery on "I Know What I'm Doing (Planet Treason)" and "Gotta Go" are saturated in raw energy, and give the tracks a hard-nosed punk vibe; alternatively "Zombie Fist Fight" and "Buried Alive" bring a more straight forward industrial metal tone, more akin to the likes of Powerman 5000.

Anyone who has played a Devil May Cry game will be aware of its heavy soundtracks; the dynamic of quiet and creepy when the action isn't happening, to getting the adrenaline flowing when you're cracking demon skulls. A lot like Ninja Theory themselves, Combichrist manage to recreate the old feelings any long-time fan would expect from the series. They respect the aesthetics of the games. The twist however, is both band and developer put a decent spin on anything that would feel stagnant with contemporary standards. Combichrist have created a soundtrack that is exciting, heavy and still holds all the key traits needed to make it feel like a DMC game. As with any soundtrack though, the question is whether the LP can be enjoyed on its own, and the answer is an easy yes -- though it isn't without flaws. Certain songs can come across a little awkward: "What The F*** Is Wrong With You" is lyrically terrible, and musically dull (which is probably why it was on the second disc of the album), while the likes of "Feed the Fire" just doesn't flow all that well. But there's no denying that this is one of the most enjoyable and exciting releases to come from the band to date. If you're a fan of Combichrist, it hits all the right beats from previous works, but there is a scintillating progression from the band here, that -- like HEALTH's game score debut -- makes No Redemption more than just a score; it's a cornerstone for future releases, and the band would be foolish to dismiss it as such.

Excellent.

Edition: C̶D̶, CD Deluxe, M̶P̶3̶

Packaging: 6 Panel digipak.

Special Edition: The second disc is a compilation of tracks from several of their previous studio releases. Probably designed as a way of checking out the band if you've only discovered them through No Redemption. The artwork, package design and this disc definitely make this the worthwhile version to pick up.

Black Sheep Wall I Am God SongsFront Line Assembly Hard Wired
King 810 La Petite Mort or a Conversation With GodHEALTH Health::Disco2
Rollins Band NiceAkira Yamaoka Silent Hill 4: The Room OST

April 9th 2016

As always, constructive criticism welcome guys.

April 9th 2016

Say what you will about the game, it sure had a great soundtrack.

April 9th 2016

I can't understand anyone that doesn't like it, but likes the originals. Sure, the look of Dante was... controversial, but the actual game is far superior to the other ones. They got rid of all the annoying stuff from the old games, and the gameplay is simply a dream to play. But yeah, the soundtrack really grew on me.

April 9th 2016

I had a blast playing it, but the only other DMC I played is 4.

April 9th 2016

I actually loved 4, I enjoyed the idea of running up to meet Dante before actually getting to play him.

I recently bought the HD collection of 1-3, and the original had me tearing my hair out in some places: the camera work is so goddamn frustrating, along with some crazy difficulty spikes. I remember why I only completed it once when it came out now, anyway. lol It hasn't aged well.

April 9th 2016

I watched footage from all the others. I'd wanted to try out 3 from the PS3 collection cuz the PC port is awful from what I know, but other game priorities exist.

April 9th 2016

Yeah, 3 is still fun like. I just hope Ninja Theory get another chance to make a sequel, because it was one of the most creative games I've played in years.

BlackMalachite

Game's great

Soundtrack's great

New Dante is great

It's all great

Digging: I See Stars - Treehouse

June 4th 2016

My love for that underrated gem of a game has no boundries.

BlackMalachite
June 4th 2016

"Wah, I'm mad cause Dante is more punky and doesn't have his white hair anymore so the entire game sucks even though the graphics are far more creative, limbo was cool as hell, and the sword / gunplay is twice as fast / fluid and a lot more fun."

- Devil May Cry fans

June 5th 2016

Yeah, the creativity on DMC is a work of art; extremely imaginitive worlds and art styles.

The irony is he gets his white hair at the end of the game anyway. lol IMHO he is a lot more realisitic and relatable in this one than previous efforts.

June 5th 2016

I much prefer the over-the-top smug badass from the older games to the somewhat likable edge-lord from the reboot, plus it's the hairstyle I like more, not the colour (can't stand that type of undercut lol), but general reaction was overblown and the game was very fun. Even if it is far from the depth found in DMC4 (I sucked at it, but there are so many awesome players with insane videos out there), and that's what bothers a lot of veterans that look beyond superficial aspects, being more accessible and modern certainly had its positives, too.

June 5th 2016

From an artistic, visual standpoint I honestly thing the moaning is stupid. I might just be saying this to defend the game, because I love it so much, but DMC is basically just an origin story, and the smug badass could well have come in the next game.

As far the gameplay, it isn't as indepth as DMC4, agreed, but it's still got enough to tuck your teeth into.

June 5th 2016

For sure. I'm certainly curious how the next instalment will be.