Yndi Halda

4.6

by Xenophanes STAFF
March 2nd, 2016 | 206 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It's the album we all wanted but never dreamed that we would get.

For fans of yndi halda (or rather, those who loved their only album, Enjoy Eternal Bliss), a second album was an idea of fiction; a thought teased only by briefly from snippets of new music and a lack of a true break-up or haitus. More or less, yndi halda have been floating in an interstital space that never belied the existence or possibility of new music. Yet here we are, over a decade later, receiving a new record. Under Summer comes like mana from heaven; an almost stupefying surprise that feels like a cartoonish mirage in the middle of the desert.

But Under Summer is here. It's real. And damn is it good.

Removing all context of yndi halda's fervent fanbase and legendary post-rock status, their second record is an amazing slab of music. All of the hyperbole and hype leading up to this Under Summer seeks to overshadow the fact that what is offered here is excellent on its own merit. That being said, those familiar with Enjoy Eternal Bliss will find this record to be everything they've hoped for and more. The belated sophomore release is just as lush and heart-rending as one would expect. Full of swelling strings and subtle drama, yndi halda have presented their formula for post-rock success in a tight and well constructed collective of songs. Glimmers of "A Song for Starlit Beaches" are mirrored in the albums opening, while the cathartic explosions of "Dash & Blast" can be heard in the waning moments of "This Very Flight," the album's closer. These extended pieces of music press on past the eight-minute mark, but each sounds refreshingly unique. The only dip in quality lies in the grower, "Helena," which at 18 minutes feels like a patchwork of several disjointed interludes. It doesn't really work and one cannot help but wonder what yndi halda were going for. There's a lot of beauty in "Helena," but it takes a lot of time and forgiveness. Every other song, however, is absolute post-rock perfection.

What has been most noticeable with these new songs is the inclusion of vocals, which while not new to the yndi Halda formula, were never so present as they are here. No longer are voices sequestered into murmurs and "DA DA's." Portions such as those found in the middle of "This Very Flight" feel slightly reminiscent of something one might hear from The World Is... With newly implemented "twinkle" (ugh) guitar tones, yndi halda have much more in common with a 2010s indie rock band than, say, Explosions in the Sky. For the most part, though, these influences take a back seat to the same dramatic presentation that fans have frothing over for years. The chanted climax found in the last track, for example, is sublime; a startlingly unique sound for the band that stands up their with one of their crowning moments. Under Summer is overflowing with segments such as these, making every second worthwhile. In some respects, yndi halda of topped themselves, condensing some of the more bloated aspects of Enjoy Eternal Bliss into something much more palatable. Some might find it less emotive as a whole. Yet in trimming the fat, the band has projected a sense of realism and maturity that was once shadowed by wonder and zeal. The magic isn't gone, but simply filtered and refined.

As an impartial reviewer it's hard not to wax poetic about how affecting Under Summer truly is. It's beautiful--stunning, even. All is freshly minted without pressing the boundaries of Enjoy Eternal Bliss to a warped mess. It's the album we all wanted but never dreamed that we would get.

Krallice PrelapsarianMono Requiem For Hell
Gorguts Pleiades' DustDeftones Gore
Cobalt Slow ForeverHowls of Ebb Cursus Impasse: The Pendlomic Vows
Nick Mongiardo CONTRIBUTOR (3.5)
Their pacing needs some work in the softer sections, but for the most part, Under Summer is a passio...

Xenophanes
March 1st 2016

I wish I felt better about this review but it was very forced. Album was probably the closest I've ever come to a religious experience tho

Ignimbrite
March 1st 2016

Sick review, dude. Still working out how I feel about this album, myself.

Question: why is your personal rating a 4.7, while the review is a 4.6, hmmm? WHICH IS IT

Prognoz
March 1st 2016

Goddamn, that middle section on "This Very Flight" gave me all kinds of emotions, including nostalgia from Eternal Bliss. Great review btw.

Poet
March 1st 2016

If only Helena wasn't random at spots....but whatever, this album is still really really good

And that plucking in Golden Threads from the Sun is unbelievable.

TheFantasticDangler
March 1st 2016

dont think this is better than EEB but still really good

Digging: Drei Affen - Drei Affen

Mongi123
March 1st 2016

Really looking forward to this, there an easy way of finding this?

ChoccyPhilly
March 1st 2016

hmm, i'll give this a go

Digging: Julien Baker - Sprained Ankle

zaruyache

I got you Mongi

elbaliem
March 1st 2016

This Very Flight somehow reminds me yo my childhood.

Piglet

4.6 is such a sexy rating thnk you elijah

Spacesh1p
March 1st 2016

Excited to jam this. Hope it lives up to the hype train

Jekub

this officially out?

Digging: Off Minor - The Heat Death of the Universe

RevengeSoldier
March 2nd 2016

If you guys liked the sound of This Very Flight, I'd rec listening to Spokes, who sound similar. Great album though. Incredible, in fact.

BandNewbac
March 2nd 2016

ooo i like how much praise this is getting, better get on it FAST

Digging: Grouper - Paradise Valley

RadicalEd
March 2nd 2016

Great review, although the first track did bore me so hard, that I held of listening to the others.

Digging: Robbie Basho - Visions of The Country

brainmelter

ooo i like how much praise this is getting, better get on it FAST[2]

Digging: Leprous Vortex Sun - ?? ??????????? ? ??????, ????????? ??????

JS19

4.6 is perfect rating get hyped bros and sis-es

minty901
March 2nd 2016

great review. agreed on helena.

you should put 'Ceremonies' by Ef in the recommended by reviewer section.

DoubtGin

vocals? :CCCCCCCCCC

hogan900
March 2nd 2016

Vocals are actually pretty good

Great review though Man! Couldn't agree more