Darkthrone
Under a Funeral Moon

by B R A N D O N S C O T T CONTRIBUTOR (135 Reviews)
February 9th, 2016 | 142 replies

Release Date: 1993 | Tracklist

Review Summary: even then most barren landscapes look divine in the moonlight

Today I'm traveling by train from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Albany, New York. For those of you who don't know, these two states are a particularly scenic part of the country, especially this time of year. Dressed in the snowy leftovers of the season, as the train passes through the woodlands of my home state I can't help but be entranced by the natural beauty of this sight. The barren trees, the deep browns and golds of the leaves that cover the ground, and the scattered remains of our most recent blizzard all stand to amaze. It's death in its most ravishing form. The isolation of travel makes it all the more poignant; though surrounded by dozens of people, there is nary a sound to be heard. Each passenger exists only in their own little world, distracted by the technology that seems to be slowly choking humankind in a growing tangle of circuits and wires.

I have the most intense urge to listen to black metal; the setting demands it. I NEED to listen to Under a Funeral Moon. In this moment, I feel so connected to the scene the birthed this classic record - surrounded by the beauty of devastated nature and eerie seclusion - and there is no better portrayal of it than Under A Funeral Moon. It's a microcosm of black metal, the unparalleled representation of everything the genre strove to be then, and what it still aspires to today. "I stand alone in a valley filled with starlight, my eyes suffer from eternal sparks. So shut the lids and dream so I can see the trident clearer than ever now" Nocturno Culto rasps in "Summer of the Diabolical Holocaust". Though written over twenty years ago, that line is as affecting now as it was then; loneliness is eternal. Under A Funeral Moon encapsulates this sentiment in many subtle ways. Though the guitars, drums, and vocals all exist at once, they feel so separate from each other; each instrument exists only in their own little world.

The rigid minimalism the album ascribes to is drenched in lunar mysticism; even the most barren landscapes look divine in the moonlight. Throughout the primitively pummeling tracks of "Dance of Eternal Shadows" and "Under A Funeral Moon", not even the simplistic black metal battering can belie the sense of wonder that inhabits this record. The ragged production transports you somewhere otherworldly, where the seductive whisper of the bass eases you into this far-off realm of wintry static, sinister beauty, and dark intentions. Under A Funeral Moon is a dominion of its own, a separate universe where the pariahs of our world go to dwell in contented seclusion.

This is Darkthrone at their most effortlessly black metal. It didn't subscribe to the standards -minimalism, repetition, atmosphere - but rather it established them. Though they would go on the push the genre to new extremes with its successor, this set the template for what black metal perfection should song like; its almost as if Under a Funeral Moon was written by the essence of black metal itself. Though now I exit the train and re-acclimate myself to this world of the living and technology, I know that Under A Funeral Moon will always be waiting for me to visit again, an escape only befitting of my darkest hours.

With the End in Mind Unraveling; ArisingLes Discrets Virée Nocturne
The Black Twilight Circle Tliltic TlapoyauakBook Of Sand Occult Anarchist Propaganda
Xavlegbmaofffassssit.... GoreTevlo/Veela Icy Love EP
Ad Absurdum (5)

theDanger (4.5)
A grim masterpiece that both summarizes and validates everything for which Scandinavian black metal ...

Kit Brown (3.5)
Darkthrone is the essential black metal band, period. Their harsh vocals, simplistic riffs and blast...

20958 Comments

I really tried to capture the essence of this album, while also adequately describing its sound, and importance. Let me know if I did. Constructive criticism welcome of course.

Digging: Jordablod - Promo

MistaCrave
February 8th 2016

Awesome review dude. There were a few grammar mistakes here and there and the tone in the first half or so of the second paragraph seemed a bit silly, but this review was fantastic overall. I've gotta jam this album sometime soon. m/

20958 Comments

Thanks man, I appreciate the feedback. As far as the grammar goes, I'll look it over tomorrow when I have fresh eyes. As far as the tone, this is pretty unconventional review (for me at least) but I wanted to try something difference considering the significance of the record.

Spado
February 8th 2016

Pretty lame first paragraph. It at least should have been a walk in the wilderness in total isolation. And you can't compare the silence there to a train...

20958 Comments

Thanks for feedback. I was going for something a little of my wheelhouse, but I appreciate the criticism. It was worth the experiment. I'll practice more before posting something like this again.

Hawks
February 8th 2016

Fuck yes a Darkthrone review.

Digging: Blaze of Perdition - Near Death Revelations

20958 Comments

@Spado - if you find the opening paragraph lame that's understandable, but i'm telling you, the isolation is real on a train. you're just surrounded by people who ignore you in favor of whatever they're doing on their phone/laptop. obviously i am guilty of this as well, but it's kind of awkward when you think about it, to be stuck in a tin can with dozens of people and not one person will acknowledge anothers existence

user
February 8th 2016

ive taken the same train ride. shit is melancholy as all hell.

20958 Comments

I would too. I'm not saying it's a terrible thing really. It's just eerie how quiet it is on a train when it's packed to capacity.

DoctorDoom
February 8th 2016

I've made a similar trip from central New Jersey to Albany. Peaceful, an the scenery definetely gives away to self reflection. Record is a good soundtrack to such a trip.

oh nice spirit you 5'd it

you had it at 4.5 when you said you were reviewing it i was like @___@

20958 Comments

Yeah, I listened to it like a dozen or so times the past few days and i realized there wasn't a moment I didn't really love on it, so the 5 felt appropriate

Hawks

Good choice bro.

mifzal
February 8th 2016

this and A Blaze in the Northern Sky are both classics.

20958 Comments

removed and reworded some things, hopefully it reads a little better. i probably wont change too much else as this was more a trial run than anything else, and i want a reminder as to what works and what doesn't

February 8th 2016

i thought the review was way dope, btw, i guess it should detail the sound a bit more. you didn't mention the royal toms! they're a huge part of what makes this record imo

you should listen to the fenriz commentary of this album

Ulsufyring
February 8th 2016

review reads like metal archives

pos

20958 Comments

i am a certified metal elitist now

Ulsufyring
February 8th 2016

yo yer cred is as legit as falloch

February 9th 2016

how can you be a metal elitist if you haven't even rated deathcrush