Cryptopsy
None So Vile

by Kit Brown USER (73 Reviews)
May 18th, 2006 | 39 replies | 6,529 views

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: ROOOOOAAAARRRRRR!!!!!! "I do that rather well, don't you think?"

Now that this album has been out for ten years, I think that it's fitting to see what an impact it has made on the death metal genre. This album is widely considered to be the band's best album (I agree) and quite possibly the best death metal album of all time. This is not really building up the album more than it should; it's really that good. It's something you'll have to hear to believe. Enter a world of bloodlust, brutality, catharsis, and insanity. Now it's time for...

Cryptopsy -- None So Vile

Cryptopsy on this album was:
Lord Worm - Vocals
Flo Mounier - Drums and Additional Vocals
Jon Levasseur - Guitars
Eric Langlois - Bass Guitars

Before we enter the actual songs on the album, I think it would be fitting to describe every member of the band so you can get a feel of the album...

Lord Worm -- This man has been said by many to be a fantastic vocalist, and I'd have to agree with that. Lord Worm has a very wide range of vocal styles which include both low guttural growling and high pitched shrieks. He fits the band quite well and is easily the best vocalist in Cryptopsy history. His lyrics, while being impossible to understand, are actually more than just your typical death metal material.

Flo Mounier -- I can summarize Flo in one word: speed. This man has talent that few other drummers can touch (Gene Hoglan and Sean Reinert). From the second the band starts up on this album you can hear Flo's constant double bass abuse and abnormally fast blast beats. They're some of the fastest blast beats I have ever heard that haven't come from a machine. Some of Flo's most impressive work is on this album, so all drummers should check it out.

Jon Levasseur -- When most people talk about Cryptopsy the drums and vocals are the main topics. That certainly doesn't mean that the band's string section is bad by any means. Jon lays down some very technical riffs at times that are some of brutal death metal's best. His tone, while not being my favorite, suits the genre quite well. Jon also takes some impressive solos in this album which would impress the shredders out there.

Eric Langlois -- Eric is a very talented bassist, plain and simple. His ability to lock in with the guitars and drums is top notch, and also delivers some fantastic bass solos at times. Eric also plays in several different styles. From standard to slap bass to tapping...this man does it all. Aspiring death metal bassists can look to this album and appreciate it.

Now, what say we talk about the songs?

The band is in short, very technical. Cryptopsy has a knack for being very intricate with their songs; always changing their riffs and never boring the listener. "Crown of Horns" is a perfect of the band's sheer hatred and speed. Featuring Flo's signature hyperblasts amongst rapid-fire guitar and bass riffs, this song will bring you down to your knees within seconds of hearing it. Lord Worm's vocals on here are very guttural and low. Since the song is going at such a rapid pace, his delivery seems a bit off time, at least that's how it sounds to me. Still, this is one of the highlights of the album because it's such a powerful opener.

One of the band's most famous numbers is the following track, "Slit Your Guts". The guitar riffs on here are significantly different from the last song, and are also better in my opinion. Lord Worm's vocals are also finally on time and fit the song perfectly. Accompanied by Jon's best guitar soloing on the album, Flo's insanity and a great, short bass solo, this is probably the best track on the album. This song should be an essential in every death head's collection and would also be a great first track to hear if you're wanting to check this band out. The next song, "Graves of the Fathers" isn't anything exceptional but it fits the album's vibe quite well. It's another solid track that's easy to bang your head along to. The best part of the song would be the simplistic yet crushing breakdown at 2:00. It's fantastic.

"Dead and Dripping" is actually heavier than the past songs, which may be hard to fathom. Lord Worm's vocals get a little bit off time in the beginning but quickly recover. They're also in the back of the mix and can be hard to hear at times, which may annoy some listeners. The rest of the band goes through their typical routine with the speedy drums and technical chugging guitar riffs. Jon also comes back with some more great soloing in the middle of the song. Remember that I said that Eric played some slap bass on here? Well get ready for it on the fifth song, "Benedictine Convulsions". The bass guitar certainly takes the lead on here, providing the song with plenty of great slapping that makes the song one of the album's highlights. There is a short interlude with more typical riffing, and then the song concludes with a slower breakdown where the slap line returns. It's a great way to end a great song.

...Now after all of this brutality, is that all this album is going to offer? Almost, but not quite! "Phobophile" actually features a fairly lengthy piano intro that gives the song an incredibly haunting feel. The bass quietly enters with a dark riff, and then the band enters with a full blow. It's enough to render you helpless, but it's totally worth it. As far as emotions go, I'd say that this is the strongest song on the album. It's darker and more evil than probably any other song on the entire album. This is another strong suggestion to check out. "Lichmistress" is the lowest point on the album just because it features nothing new that the band hasn't already shown you before. While it's not a bad song by any means, it's just another reapeat of stuff you've already heard. The good thing about this is that it's the shortest song, only reaching 2:30 in length.

And now we have reached the final track of None So Vile, "Orgiastic Disembowelment". Fairly standard stuff happens for the first few minutes until we're then shown another bass solo followed by some more fantastic slap lines which simply rock out loud. This song also features some rapid time changes which can't help but impress just about any musician out there. The song then continues on its riff-filled frenzy until a fantastic sample from Army of Darkness is played. "Go ahead and run! Run home and cry to mama!" This has certainly been an experience, and a damn good one at that.

So how can this album appeal to more than just the death metal fans? Simple: the band's high level of musicality. Even if you're a fan of progressive rock or jazz you can still get a kick out of this album because of the band's highly complicated guitar, bass and drum parts. And of course the metal heads will probably love this album for the fact that it's extremely heavy and gives every member of the band a chance to prove that they are incredibly good at their instrument. This album has something for everyone, basically.

Highlights:
The entire album is a death metal masterpiece, but Slit Your Guts is the real gem on here.

Pros:
-- Extremely high level of musicality
-- Every member of the band is featured equally
-- It's fucking brutal

Cons:
-- Lord Worm's vocals are occasionally off time
-- Vocals, while being incredibly good, are undecipherable

Final Rating:

Born of Osiris The New ReignThe Faceless Planetary Duality
4.4

ToWhatEnd

ROOOOOAAAARRRRRR!!!!!!
"I do that rather well, don't you think?"

Yes, beautiful! Same for the review, great work. Not a huge fan of the genre but might check this out after reading this review.

Iluvatar
May 18th 2006

Love the album, but not your best review. Still pretty good though. Phobophile is amazing.

kno_kontrol
May 18th 2006

outstanding review. I dont like death metal, but I can tolerate some power metal. this review was great though.

Killtacular
May 18th 2006

Best death album ever. I've heard quite a few since this one (my first) and none have topped it yet. None were quite as vile as this one.

I'm a big fan of Worm's lyrics. Even though you can't understand any of them in the song, they're incredibly well written. I guess that's what a major in English gets you.

May 18th 2006

I disagree with a lot of what you said here, but not bad anyway. Flo's speed can be matched, even surpassed by numerous drummers today, although he is still quite good. The guitars here aren't very technical, and the solos sound a bit too random to impress any shredders. On top of that, Worm's vocals were improvised during the recording. He was completely drunk and would shout a few words before barking his head off. A true metal vocalist.

Either way, still a damn sweet album.

Magicaltroll
May 18th 2006

I love Worm's vocals, they're completely unlike anything I've heard in this genre. I mean, the growls and shrieks are typical (still good though), but the style he does it in, how he's just, shouting weird shit, I love it.

But then again, alot of people I talk to hate that about Cryptopsy :/

wikuk
May 19th 2006

nice review, i've heard Open Face Surgery and it was a nice song, especially the scream. i'm now downloading some more songs to see if i like them.

Sleepy
May 19th 2006

Such an awesome album...this is a death metal masterpiece.

Also, very nice review. Good job profiling the band.

Confessed2005
May 19th 2006

Incredible album; the drummer is orgasmic at times. Excellent review 'Thor', fitting for such a classic title.

Tyler
May 19th 2006

I love the indecipherable/drunken lyrics, I think he should have repeated the same before they worked on 'Once Was Not'. Great fucking album.

May 21st 2006

Has anyone else wondered how Flo can do the backup screaming and play what he does a the same time?

Thor

^^^
It's another reason why he's so fantastic. I can't get enough of this album at the moment.

May 21st 2006

He records the drums and vocals serparately. :lol:

And?

He still does it live.

May 21st 2006

Worm does all vocals live. Flo just drums.

May 21st 2006

I've seen plenty of footage with Flo wearing a headset microphone.

Then again I'm mentally challenged.

May 21st 2006

I've seen a lot of live videos, but I never saw Flo doing anything vocal.

Aight.

I'll shut up now. :sad:

May 21st 2006

I could be wrong though. It happens often.

/lawl

Thor
June 10th 2006

I can't be original and use an Army of Darkness sample for my band's album thanks to this.