Sigur Ros
Agaetis Byrjun

by Miguel Walter USER (20 Reviews)
May 18th, 2006 | 7 replies

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Except for Kid A and maybe OK Computer, gtis Byrjun is my favorite album of the last decade. My all-time top 10 would include those two Radiohead album, some Bob Dylan, some Tom Waits, some MF Doom, maybe Neil Young's unplugged, maybe Miles Davis' Tribute to Jack Johnson and, well, THIS ALBUM. Buy why? Why do I care so much about this album? I've heard the band's other efforts, I've heard Explosions in the Sky (and love them), I've heard Godspeed (and love them), I've heard all of this stuff, yet this album is far-and-away my favorite.

This badboy is 10 songs (well, 9, I guess ... well, I guess you could call it 8, "Avalon" just kind of closes things up) of excellence. "Sven-G-Englar" seems to be the one more casual fans focus on and it certainly is a classic ... you could call it Sigur Ros for beginners, but its really just a top-notch recording. "Staralfur" is like Radiohead's "Motion Picture Soundtrack" only much longer and more mesmerizing. I love the guitars, I love the vocals and the best part is the climax, where it sounds like you are listening to fireworks underwater. And, for a band like Sigur Ros where every song sounds even better while smoking with some friends, "Staralfur" goes from mind-blowing to almost life-changing while high, I don't know what it is.

The final song I want to rant about, though they are all excellent, is "Viorar Vel Til Loftarasa." I recently saw this song live and it might be the best song I've EVER seen live ... and I've seen some damn good ones live, too. It just blew me away. But even on the CD, it is amazing ... sure, the intro is probably a little too long, but that's only because I know how good it is and I get impatient. Once the piano part starts, I'm set. I respect the hell out of Mogwai, but I think I'll take the piano part on "Viorar Vel Til Loftarasa" over anything from the Happy Music disc. Its just ***ing amazing, I don't know what else to say.

I hate ranting this much, and I hate soundling like a fan that can find no wrong in the music they like, but this is one of those albums that I truly can't find anything wrong with. As I said, I rank it up there with Kid A as one of the most incredible albums of the last ten years. Anyone that has ever heard of Sigur Ros, but never gave them a chance, START HERE. Anyone that has heard other albums by Sigur Ros but not this one, CHECK THIS ONE OUT. This is it, folks, this is the one. It is all about "the fetus album"!

I like ( ) a lot and I love Takk ... , especially after seeing almost the whole thing live, but this one still stands as the band's strongest effort by FAR.

Carole King TapestryDabrye Two/Three
My Morning Jacket It Still MovesDanger Mouse and Jemini Ghetto Pop Life
Lyrics Born Same !@#$ Different DayBob Dylan Knocked Out Loaded
user ratings (2010)
Andrew H. EMERITUS (4)

Elijah K. STAFF (5)
1999 Sigur Ros broke down doors we didn’t even really know existed, and in the vast expanse that i...

Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do
recommended by reviewer
Tortoise Standards

May 18th 2006

The first half seems like it should be confined to a journal, I don't think it really belongs in a review. Others may disagree. Welcome to the site, looking forward to more reviews!

May 19th 2006

This is a truly great album, particularly tracks 3 and 7 and the title track. And I liked Avalon!

May 19th 2006

Track 4 is my favorite. These guy's are awesome.

May 19th 2006

I can't decide which of the last three Sigur Ros albums I like best. They're on a scale with each other to me, each one fits a certain mood. All the songs are great but my faves are Svefn-G-Englar, Hjarta Hamast (love the harmonica), and Virar Vel Til Loftrasa.

Nice first review, glad you like sputnik. But I agree with Morrissey, the review needs more focus on the album and the songs and less on pretty irrelevent stuff, like in the intro.

May 19th 2006

I edited the intro and fixed a few glaring things, but I didn't want to add too much, it would feel like cheating. Thanks for the critique.

March 20th 2008

Ok, I know that reviews are supposed to be opinionated, but saying that you like this CD because they kicked ass live and you like getting stoned to their music does not justify a classic album. If you really think of this as a classic you damn well better give us some better reasoning.

February 27th 2010