Buckethead
Out of the Attic

good

by Daniel Dias CONTRIBUTOR (37 Reviews)
January 21st, 2016 | 14 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: After a slow start, Buckethead proves he still has some tricks up his sleeve in 2016.

By now, it's become virtually impossible to follow Buckethead's manic pace at which he releases his albums. Often dismissed because of a ridiculously monumental amount of Pikes he's been putting out for little less than 5 years, it's obvious that plenty of his material ends up sounding rushed, perhaps forced, and just generally uninteresting. But there's also no denial that, every now and again, he reminds his fans why they still check up on him from time to time, releasing Pikes full of quality, emotion and groove. 2015 saw him continuing to expand his catalog, but only sporadically did he sound close to his best days.

Just when it'd seem best to simply give up on him once and for all, Buckethead releases Out Of The Attic. After starting out 2016 on a cold streak, releasing a couple of uninspired and dragged out Pikes, he briefly leaves aside his mellow and melodic side, opting for a more heavy tone, to great results. They've been his albums' main 'categories' for years, and while he's just as prone to succeed as he is to fail on both sides, he hasn't sounded as refreshing and playful as he does here in a while. The consistency put on display in this album also sees Buckethead achieving what he often most lacks.

Opening strong, "Chew Chew Train" and "Out Of The Attic" focus on some of his grooviest riffs, balanced against his manic soloing. Fortunately, he strays from noodling and extending his solos to unforgiving lengths, making it much easier to maintain interest. He goes back and forth, but is able to maintain a great sense of dynamic, which he can sometimes lack. The very strong opening numbers, although repeating an identical formula, are more than mere repetitions of one another, and they are clear standouts here. Moving on, he can lock in vicious rhythms, most notably on "Nowhere in Particular" or "Dank Dungeon", as easily as he can structure his songs based on a little more experimentation, as seen in "Gloom". One way or another, Buckethead sounds calm and collected here, and behind a vigorous guitar tone and a refreshingly great, raw drum sound, he's getting his confidence back.

Death From Above Outrage! Is NowQueens of the Stone Age Villains
Chris Cornell Higher TruthAlfa Mist Antiphon
Moon Hooch The Joshua TreeRoyal Blood How Did We Get So Dark?
3.1
good
tellah (2.5)
Nothing in particular....

January 21st 2016

One of my favorites of his in a long time, cheers guys.

MrSirLordGentleman
January 21st 2016

The amount of albums this guy has annoys me everytime

January 21st 2016

I mean he releases a bunch of shit, but there's also plenty of quality stuff of his.

MrSirLordGentleman
January 21st 2016

That's the thing, of course I enjoy some of his songs, but any guy that releases a thousand of albums will create a couple of cool tunes every now and then

Superb
January 21st 2016

The best thing about Buckethead is that it could be entirely possible that he's released a new album just as you're done writing a review on one of his albums.

zaruyache

Digging: Gabor Szabo - Dreams

Davil667

Davil667

BigBlob
January 22nd 2016

"The design of the covers reminds me of a comic series with every Pike telling a new adventure in Bucketheadland."

How is constant guitar wanking over a generic drum track tellling an adventure?

January 22nd 2016

"Great review daniel, pretty much describes how I feel about Buckethead. This guy still has some serious shredding up his sleeve. Will def check this Pike out.

Somehow I really like the Bucketheadland Pike concept. The design of the covers reminds me of a comic series with every Pike telling a new adventure in Bucketheadland. This gives the music some extra spice for me..."

Thanks man, tell me what you think after you give it a spin. And yeah, the concept is interesting enough, even if he inevitably puts out a lot of trash he does produce some interesting stuff from time to time.

"How is constant guitar wanking over a generic drum track tellling an adventure?"

It's not all that bad, I assure you bud :]

DrGonzo1937
January 22nd 2016

Bucket wasting little time on new material. Hoping he reaches 200+ this year.
Nice review. Pos.

Digging: Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun

Thanks bud, cheers.

DinosaurJones
January 22nd 2016

So many Pikes, so little time.

June 15th 2016

First 2 tracks on this have such a great groove.