The Ruins Of Beverast
Blood Vaults - The Blazing Gospels of Heinrich...

by Keating USER (9 Reviews)
December 17th, 2015 | 9 replies

Release Date: 2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: World-class black doom.

The Ruins of Beverast is the music of multi-instrumentalist Alexander Von Meilenwald, ex-Nagelfar drummer, and prophet of the blackest doom. Here he assumes the role of the infamous Inquisitor of the Catholic Church, Heinrich Kramer. Kramer penned the notorious treatise Malleus Maleficarum, in 1486, which translates to “The Hammer of the Witches.” Misogynistic to the core, it’s a witch hunt manual for the detection and prosecution of witches, outlining procedures for their torture and killing.

Mainly a slower-paced experience, this album is by all rights doom/black metal – both. But if you’re like me and have no time for the trendy occult doom fluff polluting today’s metal, fear not. This is black doom of the highest order (file it under black metal). Ominous atmospheres rich in synthesized textures drape a dense backdrop behind the blasphemous beauty within. Von Meilenwald’s guitars absolutely shine throughout the album with crushing riffs and ethereal notions. Vocally, he is outstanding, especially as the hellish voice of the Inquisitor, and he flexes some clean-vocal muscles in small but tasteful measures. The lush production is a wall of sound, polished with clean-as-a-whistle drumming. The theme of the subject matter is strongly emoted through the use of organ, choir and spoken Latin for a truly religious experience.

Now, take a look at the album artwork. I have to say, that in only the way that art can, it accurately conveys the mood that this album creates. Dark and evil, scary and elegant, other-worldly but human – and that color! It’s perfect.

The Ruins of Beverast is a name that belongs alongside other innovative masters of black metal such as Deathspell Omega and Blut Aus Nord, for this is world-class stuff. Now here’s the catch – this hour and eighteen minute opus is long, and to be fair, grinds pretty close to dragging a couple times. It’s an album that is not so much a casual listen as it is a saga in which to envelop oneself and revel in the unholy power of this glorious creation.

Highlights: “Malefica”, “Spires, the Wailing City”

Earth and Pillars Earth IVulture Industries The Tower
Blut Aus Nord and P.H.O.B.O.S. TriunityFinsterforst Mach Dich Frei
Khors Night Falls Onto the Fronts of OursRaventale Dark Substance Of Dharma

Alastor
December 17th 2015

Good job, this really needed a review. One of my all time favourite bands.

Digging: Bal-Sagoth - The Chthonic Chronicles

book

linguist2011
December 17th 2015

I'm glad this finally got a review. Album is jam-packed with truly brilliant material, I distinctly remember it was one of my favourite albums of 2013.

Digging: Forteresse - Thmes pour la Rbellion

Keating
December 17th 2015

It was one of my favorites as well.

Xenophanes

under appreciated album, agreed

Hawks
December 17th 2015

Didn't dig the album before this, but yeah this slays hard. Still gotta hear the first 2.

Digging: Coldworld - Autumn

Alastor
December 18th 2015

First two are my favourites, although every album feels special in its own way.

Hypochondria
December 21st 2015

Had no expectations. Been listening to this monster for the last 3-4 days and it only keeps getting better and better!

Totengott
May 20th 2016

Amazing stuff once again, Von Meilenwald is really talented.