Autumn's Grey Solace
Within the Depths of a Darkened Forest

by Ben Kuettel STAFF
October 9th, 2015 | 26 replies

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Bouncing parades of peace in the night, they lead the watching eyes..."

As I've gotten older, the phrase "less is more" has begun to have more and more meaning for me. In terms of music, less can most definitely be more. Within The Depths of a Darkened Forest doesn't need flashy instrumentation or frantic tempo changes to get its point across. The album pulls the listener in by being simultaneously heavenly and haunting. The opening guitar pluckings of "Resonant Dusk" give a gentle yet hypnotic introduction to everything Autumn's Grey Solace have to offer. This is a true testament to Scott Ferrell's multi-instrumental talent, pulling together each entrancing melody into a poignant display of dreamlike atmospheres. "Cast to the Seas in Storms" showcases a sublime interplay of layered guitar harmonies and pulsing bass lines, conjuring a truly evocative orchestration. Within the Depths... is anchored in its' consistency, as each song within the almost too short 35-minute run time blends together in a lulling fashion. No quality of the album is more like this than the ethereal vocals of Erin Welt. Her angelic croons float above the soothing instrumentation, echoing and blending with the instruments in a truly beautiful display within tracks like "Lost." The guitars end up working so well with her voice in part because they sound more like harps than actual guitars. Mandolins and various percussion add to the mix, but are used so sparsely that they end up effortlessly adding to the core sound of Ferrell's guitars and Welt's vocals. While Autumn's Grey Solace would go on to release a multitude of follow-up albums, their stunning debut remains their most emotive and spellbinding work to date.

Music like this can easily drag and become boring, or even self-indulgent. Within the Depths... suffers from none of these pitfalls, the sparse arrangements balancing in just the right fashion that comes across as effortless. When an album can put you into a trance, the world melting around you while the music overtakes your whole mind, is when you know you've come across something special. The charming, hypnotic qualities of Within the Depths of a Darkened Forest certainly lives up to its title, and by the time the closing title track concludes, you won't want to leave the nocturnal, sylvan domain you will find yourself within.

Riverside Eye of the SoundscapeWe the Wild From The Cities We Fled
Meshuggah The Violent Sleep of ReasonAlcest Kodama
Opeth SorceressNeurosis Fires Within Fires

TalonsOfFire
October 9th 2015

This really needed a review. I decided to give it a short write-up, as I've been writing a lot of long reviews lately.

CC welcome as always.

Digging: Animals As Leaders - The Madness of Many

TheSpirit
October 9th 2015

Good review, but you use word ethereal three times, and that's a little much considering the length of the review. I would at least omit the "ethereal dreamgaze" one, it's a bit redundant.

Alastor
October 9th 2015

thought this was a bm record on first glance

Digging: Urfaust - Empty Space Meditation

GeorgePearrison
October 9th 2015

As I've gotten older, the phrase "less is more" began to have more and more meaning for me. In terms of music, less can most definitely be more.

This reads awkwardly to me. I think you should say "As I've gotten older, the phrase "less is more" has begun to..."

Also check for subject-verb agreement, but otherwise really detailed and informative.

TalonsOfFire
October 9th 2015

Alastor, so did I at first haha. Everything about this band points to symphonic black metal or something, but it's ethereal wave according to their FB page. Thanks for the find Spirit, I had used the word haunting too much as well so I changed up some of the adjectives.

@ George I'll try to change some words around

manosg
October 9th 2015

Good call for review Talons, pos.

Digging: Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker

Gameofmetal

thought this was a bm record on first glance [2]

Digging: Cultes Des Ghoules - Coven

Gameofmetal
October 9th 2015

you stepped it up on this review compared to the last thing of yours i read, pos'd

Mystletainn

Omg a review!

yay :D

ShadowRemains

a total trippy trip

LoLifant
October 10th 2015

Wow that voice is pure magic. Thx for leading my attention on this.

Hawks
October 10th 2015

Fuck yeah Talons idk how I missed this. Review slays, album slays.

Digging: In The Woods... - Pure

October 29th 2015

since there's no Love Spirals Downwards thread, i'll just post it here that they are sooo good

bach
October 29th 2015

failed nostaaaalgia

Digging: Scott Walker - The Drift

December 3rd 2015

FIREFLIES FIREFLIES FIREFLIES

Mystletainn
December 4th 2015

Cast to the seas in storms tho

bach
February 27th 2016

might 5 this tbh it SLAP

ShadowRemains
June 26th 2016

i want to make sweet, steamy love to her voice

Toad
June 26th 2016

we need some sort of list of these gorgeous obscure records so i don't have to go through the long and random process of finding them on my own

Digging: KRS-One - KRS-One