Communication Lost

by Mitch Worden USER (3 Reviews)
September 14th, 2015 | 5 replies

Review Summary: A true emotional journey.

Plenty of bands have come and gone trying to leave their mark on the progressive rock/metal genre, striving to carve out a new sound. With self-produced albums becoming easier and easier to accomplish in your basement with minimal equipment, the music scene in general has exploded. Being unique has never been as important. But what’s even more critical is to have a unique sound that truly sticksâ€"something that you can come back to listen to day after day, year after year.

While Wolverine does not necessarily rewrite the entire book on the genre, they certainly leave their mark on the metaphorical Hollywood of progressive bands. After facing a complete break-up following the acclaimed release Still, Wolverine had a lot to prove. With Communication Lost, they distinguish themselves from the crowd and reaffirm their position; they may have fallen apart, but now they were together again at full strength.

Much like bands such as Katatonia, Wolverine uses piano and string instruments to build up an atmosphere, forming a melancholic, gloomy mood also reminiscent of the aforementioned group. They begin construction during the intro “Downfall”, which eventually leads into 8-minute leading song “Into the Great Nothing”. It is a slow song with a droning guitar riff accompanying acoustics and string instruments with keyboard support. Vocalist Stefan Zell sounds absolutely incredible, and his whole range is explored here as he laments about the consumption culture of the western world.

Many of Wolverine’s songs on this record feature the same aspects: strong lyrics (something prog bands sometimes lack), string instruments playing a large factor, and subtle progressionâ€"the band typically plays in normal time signatures without changing too much. Most of the progression here occurs over the song, often building up into a dramatic chorus (exemplified by “Into the Great Nothing” as well as the title track).

After “Into the Great Nothing”, the album begins to split and really show its diversity. Half of it features songs like the opener, while others, primarily “Embrace” and “What Remains” almost exclusively feature strings, piano, and Zell (whose voice really adds a great punch to this album). They add to the glum and despairing disposition of the CD, and it all comes together to make a very emotional experience; it’s the sort of sound that is memorable and will stick with you.

A few songs, notably “Your Favorite War” and “Pulse” are near straight-forward rock releases, with strong chorus and a main keyboard presence along with a catchy main riff. “Pulse” is the fastest track on the album, featuring a solo and prominent guitar parts and more string support. It also has arguably the most captivating and powerful chorus, featuring great vocal harmoniesâ€"something Wolverine does masterfully on this albumâ€"and equally impressive lyricism.

Of course, plenty of bands have put symphonies, orchestras, etc. into their music, but Wolverine pulls it off with good production (looking at you Beyond the Red Mirror) and remarkable song diversity. The string-guided numbers are distributed throughout, broken up by songs like “Pulse”, adding variety and making the 1 hour+ album a bearable, exciting, and joyful listen.
The beautifully despondent tracks such as “What Remains” and the prog rockers such as “Pulse” form a touching album whose melancholic instrumentation and prevailing lyrics evoke strong emotion from the listener. It is truly an album one must experience on a full listenâ€"and Wolverine makes it a memorable time.

J2e2c (5)
Very interesting, perhaps lacking something which cannot yet be defined. Rewarding and puzzling. Ver...

recommended by reviewer
Katatonia Night is the New Day
Leprous Coal

September 14th 2015

Next review I do will be something modern.

I like this release so I thought I'd do one more review of a past disk to get used to things and practice. Also, I thought the original review for this was... well, if you've read it you know. I'm probably not the most qualified to attempt to craft a better effort, but I decided to give it a try.

Feel free to comment and such, everything is welcome. Tried to keep this one shorter.

Digging: Tanooki Suit - Vaati & Veselekov

September 14th 2015

Nice review. Well done. Have you heard the new Klone? Give it a try. Maybe it's the next thing you'll review.

Digging: Dweller On The Threshold - Dweller On The Threshold

September 14th 2015

I have not. Maybe I'll check them out.

I was planning on either reviewing Sickening's The Beyond or Snakefeasts' The Pythoness.

Thanks for the pos!

September 14th 2015

Hell yeah dude this album rocks hard

In the Quiet of Dawn is one of my all time favourite songs

September 15th 2015

We certainly need more albums packing this much power.

I know they're working on a new album. They've got big expectations to fill!