Interpol
El Pintor

good

by YetAnotherBrick USER (39 Reviews)
August 22nd, 2015 | 30 replies

Release Date: 09/09/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: too much consistency, too little identity

To be honest, I'm not quite sure what was expected of Interpol at this point. Seems like Turn On the Bright Lights fell far away. That album is one with an identity, but after that, this band always seemed a little confused. Some years. Now enter El Pintor, their first album in four years. The cover art is intriguing, the title is.. something like that, and it sounds.. well, it sounds good. It's smooth, full, and rides on a consistent reverb cloud. But the thing is, that cloud kind of soaks everything in and forgets to leave the songs with any traits that are truly unique from the others.

The opener, "All the Rage Back Home," kicks things off more than strong enough, with a dark, dramatic pulse beneath a notably engaging melody. But in a way, it's already the beginning of the end. Through the rest of the album, hardly any texture components are altered noticeably. There's some catchy little licks, like the one that introduces "My Desire," but by the next half of the album, Mr. Banks is somehow uttering the line "Fuck the ancient ways" without even sitting me up straight.

But hey, he did say "Fuck the ancient ways." And the line is consistent with the aesthetic, for this album is not moving backwards. Despite them at some points turning rather homogeneous, these songs still have some edge; I couldn't see them played on every radio station, mostly due to the melancholy and the notably thick atmosphere. But the edge softens as the album goes. "Anywhere" has some joyful abandon that breaks the album up some, and "My Blue Supreme" has some more, but when you look past the choruses, you'll see that these songs have far more in common with the rest of the songs than not.

But the album doesn't stop trying, for it's always worth some sort of attention. I can see how some might be attracted to Mr. Banks' delivery, unassuming yet at times surprisingly passionate. And the smooth, yet hard-edged bass lines seem to be an obvious selling point, in the driving, nostalgic post-punk skeletons they give the songs. But the album just falls into itself too much; it needs to be louder more, it needs to be quieter more. It needs to be more adventurous, it needs to be more controlled. It's a consistent, but admittedly pleasant, cloud.

Midnight Mines If You Can't Find A Partner Use A Wooden ChairHorse Lords Interventions
Mr Amish The AbsurdistThao And The Get Down Stay Down A Man Alive
Suuns Hold/StillPinkshinyultrablast Grandfeathered
Dan H. EMERITUS (4.5)
A new animal, a new work of art....

oahmed (4)
New York cares. So should we still....

Jake Kannel (4.5)
Burn your Joy Division T-shirts, there's a new sheriff in town....

i'll probably remember All the Rage Back Home tho

ILoveRadiohead
August 21st 2015

will you guys shut the frick up about turn on the bright lights

August 21st 2015

sorry man, i had to at least mention it haha

August 21st 2015

Saw these guys about a month ago and they looked and sounded great. This band is in my top 3 all time favs.

Digging: Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing

August 21st 2015

Turn On the Bright Lights is in my top 20 and yeah i bet they'd be great live, but this album is just underwhelming

good stuff dude.

i still think this is pretty enjoyable, prob a 3.5 for me now though. my blue supreme is such a terrible song

August 22nd 2015

Lol wtf that's like my fav song Gyro haha

August 22nd 2015

"my blue supreme is such a terrible song"

that's funny, it's actually one of the most memorable ones for me haha

Point1
August 22nd 2015

This album is fun and the songs were good live. I want a little more from these guys, and I honestly like their self-titled better than this, but I'm glad this sounds like it wasn't a miserable experience to record.

August 22nd 2015

i hate the vocals in that song

PappyMason
August 22nd 2015

This album is solid, but I didn't hear the return to form that many were touting.

Nice write-up.

NakedSnake
August 22nd 2015

First 3 songs on here are killer. The rest are so so.

August 22nd 2015

i can agree. some in the second half are just utterly forgettable

Ocean of Noise
August 22nd 2015

They really weren't great live when I saw them. The setlist was weird and the vocals were horrendous.

Digging: Propagandhi - Supporting Caste

apokolypz
August 22nd 2015

Have a pos. Looking back on this, I might put it down to a 3.5, but I love Interpol and I think this was a refreshing start from their last album, that one was just bleh. But I agree, there needs to be more contrast in the album, especially the dynamics. The tracks that I will always come back to are All the Rage Back Home, Anywhere, Everything is Wrong, Tidal Wave, and Twice as Hard. I think this album's second half is actually more rewarding.

August 22nd 2015

thank you sir, and yeah i def get down with All the Rage and Anywhere, and I suppose Everything is Wrong is alright too, but Tidal Wave and Twice as Hard seem so generic to me, like at that point the album is getting tired of itself

rocketsfall
August 22nd 2015

damn dude tidal wave is incredible and what about my desire?

August 22nd 2015

maybe it would be to me if it didn't share so many defining traits with the rest of the album

August 22nd 2015

oh and Ocean, your avatar is brilliant