FKA Twigs
M3LL155X

by David USER (54 Reviews)
August 19th, 2015 | 145 replies

Release Date: 08/13/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: To my mind it's so sweet/And I wish you could see it

Last year, when I reviewed FKA twigs' debut LP ("LP1"), I noted that her music struck an innovative balance between near-violent narratives of relational problems and ear-turning production. "EP2" alluded to her ability to write truly heart-breaking and engaging songs. Now, with "M3LL155X," twigs has finally perfected her formula. She's refined her message, codified her production, and brought her own voice--both literally and figuratively--to the front.

One of the main things of note concerning this EP is just how in-control and dominant twigs sounds on this release. Prior releases, especially "EP2," emphasized her fragility, placing more focus on twigs as a sexual figure than as a strong and self-actualized woman. Some of the lyrics on songs like "Papi Pacify" and "How's That" were self-effacing to a fault, placing masculine gratification and pleasure at the center of a web of abuse. "LP1" widened the scale of this message, showing the full-scope of twigs' tumult. Songs like "Pendulum" and "Numbers" gave credence to just how hard she tried to make it all work while songs like "Two Weeks," while on the surface showcasing a new and bold twigs, were littered with cues and references to just how much of a fallacy the whole thing was, with twigs still ultimately pleading for love and attention in the end.

"M3LL155X" skirts this dynamic almost entirely. On songs like "in time" and "Glass & Patron," twigs is the aggressor, singing forceful lines like "you've got a goddamn nerve" and "in time/you'll be doin' me right." This new forcefulness, this new assertion of dominance, fares extraordinarily well for twigs, as the songwriting is the true show of evolution here. While some of the lines on "LP1" were clunky and unnecessarily dour and pleading, this new EP really shows her deft new hand at penning lyrics. The themes of the EP concern feminine energy and independence, and the way that they're dealt with can only be described as masterful. Twigs never falls on flat platitudes or cliches when addressing certain aspects of her identity or the relationships she has. She never throws out bold pseudo-feminist proclamations of like some of her contemporaries do in an attempt to play up her progressive ideals. She shows rather than tells, and does so almost as well as the masters (the Fiona Apples and Bjorks of the world). Part of this may be thanks to Boots, Beyonce's songwriter of choice for her latest effort, but the sonic and lyrical cohesion here can only be attributed to twigs herself.

And the sonics here are quite impressive. Never before have twigs' drums hit as hard or the synths cut as deep as on this EP. "Mothercreep" lurches into focus with a pulse-like bassline and synths that could out-drone Tim Hecker. The drums skitter and punch with an urgency that calls to mind both UK grime and bass music as well as current Southern US trap and "Stankonia" era hip-hop. "in time" mixes one of twigs' most sensual melodies with some of her harshest and most menacing drum production, while "Glass & Patron" stands as one of her most unpredictable and experimental tracks. EP opener "Figure 8" and "I'm Your Doll" mix sexuality and horror in a way that make The Weeknd's horror-indebted "Kiss Land" sound like a Taylor Swift b-side.

Looking at all of this, it's safe to say that M3LL155X stands as the most complete and compelling representation of twigs' talent, as well as the continual emotive potential of avant-garde electronica, to be released this year. She's effectively channeled her essence into something essential, something that should be recognized by all as at least pivotal in the development of this continued intersection of singer-songwriters and electronic producers. If you're still trumpeting the "post-dubstep" label that popped up in 2011, it's safe to say that M3LL155X stands as perhaps the most pivotal release to mark that subgenre in the last couple of years.

For lovers of hip-hop and electronic music, 2015 has been an almost unbearably good year. While others have chosen to mine the past to pull together their magnus opuses, twigs' does something that no one else in 2015 has done: make music distinctly futuristic, both in ideology and in sound.

Corbin MournSampha Process
6LACK Free 6LACKBonobo Migration
Pink Guy Pink SeasonYung Lean Frost God

for real?

August 19th 2015

if lp1 wore off me fast would i be interested in this? the only song that really hit me hard on that album was pendulum. i thought two weeks and some of the other singles were really overrated.

Deviant.
August 19th 2015

This is a good review, but no where in it do you make a justified case for the EP being a 5. Especially given that it has just come out

LordePots

lmfao 5/5

Digging: Dimlite - Runbox Weathers

RadicalEd
August 19th 2015

Pitchfork would hire this guy.

Digging: Susanne Sundfor - Music For People In Trouble

August 19th 2015

it's a great review but idk about that, ed.

PappyMason
August 19th 2015

This is actually a real good review, a great read. I agree with Dev's reservations though.

The only songs that I cared for were 'In Time' and 'Glass & Patron' - those were the only times that I felt she achieved something tangible. Nevertheless, I haven't listened to this in a few days so I'll save any critiques of it until later.

RadicalEd
August 19th 2015

"it's a great review but idk about that, ed. "

Not because the review is THAT good that he can become a professional writer on the back of it. (Although it is quite good and I'm not convinced that P4k reviews are necessarily good. Most of the times I try to read a review on that site I give up after two paragraphs of longwindend fancy words about nothing much.)

Just because P4k is blowing their collective load over everything that FKA Twigs releases.

Keyblade

so boring

tempest--

20454 Comments

rly good review, gonna check this when I finish work tonight.

adr

the last 3 songs are mesmerizing~

Arcade
August 19th 2015

solid all the way through, album cover is suitably trippy

Digging: Zola Jesus - Okovi

August 19th 2015

ed: oh, had no idea pitchfork liked her so much.

watched the music video for this ep and it's hilariously awful

wtferrothorn

so boring [2]

ParanoidAndroid96
August 19th 2015

might check this, thought LP1 was ight. the production was way better than her vocal performances on the album, hoping that changes on this

rabidfish

LOL no

JeetJeet
August 19th 2015

heard one of this chick's songs on an episode of Mr. Robot. Twas good.

Digging: Counterparts - You're Not You Anymore

Rubvo
August 19th 2015

after one listen i'd say it's good. but for lp1 it took a while to realize how great of an album that was. so let's wait and listen.

BrushedRed
August 19th 2015

A 5?! I mean LP1 wasn't even that good.. But this is worse. I don't see the appeal of this singer.

Also continuing with the weird/atrocious album art I see

Digging: The National - Sleep Well Beast

bakkermaarten007
August 19th 2015

I remember her sound being this overly forced, trying to be seductive.
Idk, I feel like lots of positive critique is based on the overall image she elicits through her music and appearance.
Pop musikz eehhh