Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin

by DaveTheSunGodess USER (2 Reviews)
May 10th, 2006 | 11 replies

Release Date: 1969 | Tracklist

Led Zeppelin's self titled debut album, mostly referred to as Led Zeppelin I, is, easily one of the greatest Debut albums of all time, track by track it has a huge variety of songs.

1 - Good Times, Bad Times,
Right from the off Led Zeppelin show ther musical superiority to any band before the time. The start stop dynamics of the opening along with John Paul Jones' Bass breaks and Jimmy's Solo's make this song a fast paced, in your face song, exactly what like an opener should be.

2 - Babe I'm Gonna leave You,
And from that - to this, a calming, acoustic intro, with Robert Plants phenominal vocals over. Then when the rest of the band come in they do so in a way wher they don't ruin the mood of this beutiful song. Although 6:41 long, the changes and variety in the song make it very listenable.

3 - You shook me,
Opens with Classic Page Lead guitar playing and Bonham 'n' Jones bass/drum dynamics. again, a lenghty 6:27, but in Zep style they make it damn bearable! Through the use of Harmonica and Keyboard parts.

4 - Dazed and Confused,
John Paul Jones' iconic Bass line opens this song with a real satanic, menacing vibe, and Jimmy's bent notes enchance this. The solo in the middle section is phenominal - and without stretching too far away from the main riff. John Bonham makes the song with his drum playing in the up-tempo parts. Yet again, this song is 6:26, but like all Zeppelin long songs - completely bearable. A mosh classic!

5 - Your time is gonna come,
John Paul Jones' Organ opens this song superbly, giving it a real ambient feel, which is helped along by Page's Acoustic guitar an Bonzo's drum beat. The mid section and end sections repetition of "Your time is gonna come" is very karaoke.

6 - Black mountain side,
This acoustic instrumental lets you have a rest before the next song. This is as relaxing as it gets and John Bonhams Bongo drumming gives it a tribal groove.

7 - Communication Breakdown,
The riff played by Page and mimicked by JPJ is in classic Led Zeppelin style. It keeps you waiting for the solo, one of Jimmy Page's best, the speed and tecnicality rather blinding. Again, the last 30 seconds are rather Karaoke - a party song.

8 - I can't quit you baby,
This song is great for many reasons, but the best is the way Jimmy Page's Guitar playing and Plant's vocals just go, and merge together. A nice song with a great upbeat part in the middle.

9 - How many more time,
Another great example of JPJ and Jimmy's parts being in complete sync with each other. This song with it's length, abstract musical parts, drum interlude and the use of a violin bow on Page' Les Paul, helped open the doors and paved the way for Prog music today.

This album has been said to do many things, but the ones I believe it does is:
- shows people that Led Zeppelin are all they where said to be,,
- Founds Metal music,
- Contributes to the evolution of Prog,
- And takes you on an adventure.

This is a classic album and one of my all time favourite albums, and the greatest debut album ever showcasing the amazing skills and talents of the best band in the world.

4.3

wontgetfooledagain
May 10th 2006

I have a problem with the ratings here. I don't think all classic albums are actually perfect fives, they have just been able to stand the test of time and it doesn't make them any less classic.

Good review, but I think all a person would have to do for this album (along with some of the other Led Zep albums) is write the word classic. Everyone should have this.

incubliss
May 10th 2006

The word classic is defined by;
1. An artist, author, or work generally considered to be of the highest rank or excellence, especially one of enduring significance.
2. A work recognized as definitive in its field.
I think it fits both, really. So yeah, by definition it is a classic, and is widely regarded as a classic. So it's safe to say it probably is a classic.

May 10th 2006

Zep by no means had "musical superiority" over "any band" of it's time. This is an album of loud, bombastic reworked blues numbers. No more unique or original then what the Stones and Hendrix were doing at the time, and certainly less original then what Cream had done before them. It's a good album by that standard, nothing more, nothing less....

BigTrav415
May 10th 2006

A pretty good review. I've never heard that prog came from LZ, I'd say the violin bow usage was progressive in its concept, but I'd say that Rush and Yes were the real "roots" of prog, although LZ defintiely influenced Rush, so in an indirect way, yes, they influenced prog :lol: Do a spelling and grammer check though.

May 10th 2006

^Didn't you hear, water and air came from Zep, too. It all came from Zep. They invented rock n roll.

Kidding aside, good album. Carry on....This Message Edited On 05.10.06

John Paul Harrison

...greatest Debut albims...
...Right from the off...
...one of Jimmy Page's bets...

Good sir, a simple round of spell-check would make this a decent review.

And I agree with the final verdict. If it were not for "Abbey Road", this LP may be the best release of 1969. Rock-wise, leastways.

stinkypoptart
May 10th 2006

i was oddly disapointed with this cd nice review

redstarrequiem
May 10th 2006

Anyone who needs proof that Led Zep had musical superiority over (the majority) of other bands should check out the Bonham bass drum triplets in Good Times, Bad Times. Otherwise, I completely agree, it was the phenomenal songwriting ability of Messrs. Page, Plant, Jones and Bonham that made Led Zep I the stonking classic it was and still is.

BigTrav415! You blunder boat you!
Try learning to spell grammer before you make snide comments about other people's. Properly this time.
Hint: it's got two 'a's

DaveTheSunGodess
May 10th 2006

Yeah, I really do have to watch my gram next time, just i was in a hurry just as i finished so i couldn't check!
I'd edit it if I could.

May 10th 2006

^Why can't you? You can do that through your Profile. Unless for some specific reason you can't?

EDIT: Go to My Profile to box in upper left corner. Click "Edit My Reviews".This Message Edited On 05.10.06

Seafroggys
May 10th 2006

Zeppelin was not better then anybody before. Ever heard of Deep Purple, The Who, or The Beatles?

And about the prog debate, the roots of prog go back to 1967 with the bands Moody Blues, Procul Harum, and Pink Floyd (Barret era of course), and even The Beatles to a slight degree.