Highly Suspect
Mister Asylum

by BigHans USER (117 Reviews)
July 29th, 2015 | 79 replies

Release Date: 07/17/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Music for shot-gunning Old Milwaukee in a biker bar while playing guitar-smashing roulette with a roadie from Kyuss.

Every once in a while an album comes along that renews our faith that rock still breathes, smoldering under the ashes of more popular yet inferior music that is not rock. Real rock, the kind that tastes like whiskey and muscles, the kind that you can just smell in the floorboards, remnants of the riffs and pumped fists of long-forgotten gigs. The kind that talks about gin and the devil and makes you want to get a snake tattoo on your face and start fighting people in the street. The kind that scoffs at any instrument missing 6 strings of glory or canvass slathered barrels of might and aims to scorch the earth while blasting through the desert in an old Camaro, knowingly riding every cliché to the top of the riff mountain. Say hello to Highly Suspect.

“F*ck the world, my love is real.” More than a lyric from the instant classic, barrel-chested riff rocker “Bloodfeather,” it forecasts the testosterone-laced atmosphere surrounding this power trio from Brooklyn. The majority of their debut “Mister Asylum” is a self-proclaimed “no-f*cks given” tribute to dirty, rollicking, groove-saturated power stoner blues rock. Imagine early Kings of Leon meets Queens of the Stone Age with the beastly riffs, mighty choruses, and muscular attitude of Clutch. Take for example lead single “Lydia,” a legitimate song of the year contender that rides funky verses to a chorus so massive an exasperated vocalist/guitarist Johnny Stevens roars “I can’t f*cking breathe” in the bridge with the convincing vigor of “Blast Tyrant” era Neil Fallon. The influences don’t stop there, seen in the fuzz drenched glory of the title track, the driving four-on-the-floor groove of “Vanity,” the “what the Black Keys would sound like if the Black Keys actually knew how to rock” atmosphere of “Bath Salts,” and the roaring, infectious chorus of “Bloodfeather.” Even the more restrained, slow burning numbers like “Mom” and “23” still resonate with a certain force. The atmosphere of “Mister Asylum” is relentless in its quest for rock royalty status, and most important, the songwriting is pummeling and highly consistent throughout.

“Dance, dance mother*cker, dance.” More than a snippet from album closer “Claudeland,” an infectious, throwback rocker that mirrors what “Johnny B. Goode” would sound like if Chuck Berry wrote a stoner rock classic, it sums up what Highly Suspect are all about. They don’t make music appropriate for dancing, they make music for shot-gunning Old Milwaukee in a backwoods biker bar while playing guitar-smashing roulette with a roadie from Kyuss. Yet they want you to dance, and after being assaulted by their onslaught of grooves, it’s impossible not to gyrate somehow. Your move, Clutch.

Gang of Youths Go Farther in LightnessMetallica Master of Puppets
Captain Beyond Sufficiently BreathlessMotorhead Ace of Spades
...From the Deep The Absurd HorrorIron Maiden Flight 666 (DVD)
Lincoln Green (4)
A promising debut from what will hopefully be modern rock's figureheads....

TheFlatsFan09 (4.5)
A strong, powerful and confident debut album that showcases a mix of blues, grunge & hard rock....

The Boy Who Died Wolf

LotusFlower

12002 Comments

"smoldering under the ashes of more popular yet inferior music that is not rock"

This is how you get your reviews ghost neg'd

July 29th 2015

Sweet review, never heard of these guys. I'll give it a try.

July 29th 2015

Wouldn't bother me Clover.

July 29th 2015

Argonaut, check out Lydia and Bloodfeather first, those are my faves, although the whole thing is pretty great.

Ok, thanks. Will do.

July 29th 2015

Awesome job, was going to review this myself but didn't have the time. Lydia is outstanding. Still not sure how I feel about the whole album, I need to spin it a few more times.

Digging: The National - Sleep Well Beast

July 29th 2015

Thanks Sowing, you should still do it since Sputnik needs to hear this hard.

Bloodfeather is insanely good too.

July 29th 2015

Bloodfeather rocks hard, Lydia was solid too. I'll check the whole album hopefully later today.

July 29th 2015

Right on dude, I've been jamming this non-stop all day. Just discovered it this morning.

Nice. Can't jam it right now, because I'm listening to Who's Next. m/

Great choice man

Fuck this goes hard

July 29th 2015

Just bought this at best buy, gonna spin it tonight so I can hear all the rest of the songs

Green Baron

cannot stop listening to Lydia

Digging: Brand New - Science Fiction

July 30th 2015

Got through the whole thing and it's good. It's nothing new, just basic heavy rock with some pretty memorable riffs. I wish the vocalist had a little more energy and the songs attempted to branch out more, it reminds me a lot of Royal Blood but I think I slightly prefer them to these guys.

July 30th 2015

I think they actually get compared to Royal Blood a lot, I should probably check them out. Thanks Sowing.

July 30th 2015

I thought of Royal Blood as well, although I didn't like that album much. It felt pretty formulaic to me.

July 30th 2015

Ive never thought Formulaic was bad as long as it rocks.

InFlamesWeThrash666