Devourment
Butcher The Weak

good

by Loxxorz USER (2 Reviews)
May 9th, 2006 | 9 replies | 6,373 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

This is Devourment's much anticipated release after they reunited upon Ruban's release from prison.

This cd starts off with an eery audio clip, and breaks suddenly into a brutal sonic assault on the album's title track. Fans of the band would be very pleased with this brutal start. Mike's vocals soon come in adding that classic Devourment gurgling sound. While this is all good, it begins to get old very quick.

With a seemingly over-produced sound, the distorted guitars and blast beats wear listeners ears down quickly. One can tell that Devourment tried to go for something new in this venture but ended up with only mediocrity. The vocals fail to be as menacing as Ruban's or Wayne's, and the songs offer very little variation. Each song tends to bleed into each other and at the end of the cd listeners would be left wondering where each song ended and where others began.

One of the greatest treats that Devourment tried to give fans on this release was a rerecording of their classic song "Babykiller." Most that have heard of this band probably first heard that song and were intrigued by the brutallity and obscurity of the lyrics. Sadly, this song pales in comparison to that which is featured on Molesting The Decapitated. The band seems to overdo it with making this new version something special and to remember. The breakdown that comes in around 2 and half minutes is no longer a part to remember but just now blends into the rest of the song with nothing really sticking out.

While I am a loyal fan of Devourment, after listening to this album I am only left wondering what could have been with a better mixing job that wouldn't have made every song just a harsh wall of sound. The album could have been so much more if the guitars were more distinguishable. Mike's vocals could also use a little work. I just can't help but miss Ruban and Wayne's vocals while listening to this release. Also, the drumwork is a bit subpar in parts and dampens the album a bit.

A few highlights of this album are the songs "Serial Cocksucker", "Tomb of Scabs", and "Autoerotic Asphyxiation" which seem to break some of the monotony and bring back that brutal groove of the old Devourment.

Butcher the Weak is a must for fans of Devourment, but some may find themselves disappointed in the release.

3.1
good

CoRpSeSlAyEr
June 16th 2007

Descent review, even if it is very short. I actually like this album. Many fans of the genre absolutely hate Devourment, which I can see because they are so very repetative. This is still worth checking out if your into the genre. I like Butcher the Weak even better than their first release, Molesting the Decapitated.This Message Edited On 07.02.07

CoRpSeSlAyEr
July 2nd 2007

Does anybody know why Ruben went to prison for 2 1/2 years?

lospokey
December 4th 2007

Good review, I like this album, but I prefer 1.3.8., wayne Knupp was by far in my opinion the best vocalist they had(R.I.P).

Loxxorz
April 11th 2008

I'm pretty sure the charges were related to drugs. That's what I've read anyway. This was my first review and I've gotten some critiques from people so I know there are problems. But I'd just like to add that this review was for the ORIGINAL version of Butcher The Weak. The rerecorded/remastered version is much better and receives a higher rating from me.

WARisalliknow91
January 18th 2009

Babykiller is one of my favorite slam metal songs...ever.

Lions
August 13th 2009

I used to love this album! But then I grew out of death metal.

TheHamburgerman
October 12th 2009

Butchering death metal...

gutturaldevourment88
September 27th 2010

This album is fucking sick, I have the re-issue and its fucking crazy, babykiller is fucking sick, not as good as unleash the carnivore though

DABS
October 8th 2012

saw these guys live several times, shit gets down